Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: unboxing and review of a Dark Initiate v3 and a Dark Initiate LE v4  (Read 990 times)
Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« on: February 26, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »

Now before I actually start this unboxing and review, I just want to say the Customer Service is fantastic and whoever is Marlena from
Customer Service, I totally love you for putting up with my pain in the ass. I had to contact them multiple times to get my order through
Marlena is fantastic rep from Ultrasabers. I am quite surprised since I have heard many bad things when it comes to customer service from Ultrasabers from a few things, I guess they just drew the short end of a stick :/

I just got my order from Ultrasabers yesterday around 10AM, only two days after they fabricated my two sabers and I have to say I was quite surprised, I though it would take a week probably to get here but nope, only two days to which I say am impressed! It came into this nice,long cardboard box to which confused me at first, I had thought the Hilt and the blade would not be connected in case of nothing happening but nope

Let see what inside shall we Wink

So I opened it using a Knife which on the exterior is sealed tightly to keep the box  from opening(Tried it with scissors and failed lol) , on the inside the blades themselves were well protected with wrappings around the blade and hilt to def make them more shock resistant. I couldn't say if you threw them in the back of a truck going off road that they still be intact but for normal driving, this packaging is very good! Still don't get how they got two blades in there lol. Now my only complaint about the packaging is that the Chargers themselves are not protected at all inside and could have possibly broken with the wall charger boxes bent with reddish stuff(looked like traces of Jam on them) on the inside, weird? It's not really a complaint though since I got a free XTAR VC2 Plus Charger out of it with one of my blades despite the fact I didn't didn't order one for it. I decided not to take pictures of the chargers because I didn't really see any point but if you guys want, I'll take some pictures and post them for you.

Now onto the blades, the first one is my blade, A Dark Initiate v3

As I said before, both blades are finely wrapped to make them shock resistant and there not connected so you can take them out one by one which is nice since you can reuse the wrapping at any time when moving these guys over long distances. I've also noticed that the tips are more wrapped then the rest of the blade or the hilt, I guess this to protect the tip since it's probably more fragile than the rest of the blade or the hilt.

So after removing the wrapping, I finally discovered my hilt, my Dark Initiate v3, It was exactly as I expected and advertised as which is excellent. It's made out of light metal, Aluminum so this thing can take a small beating and be dropped a limited amount of times although your bound to damage the wiring before seriously damaging the Hilt. The Hilt itself was a tad longer and bigger then I expected but that's not a bad thing at all as it fitted perfectly into my hand and felt very comfortable in my hand until a couple of hours after practicing Kendo with it then the palms of my hands were pretty rough but that my fault, not the hilt lol Since the hilt is long enough, you can place your hands on it in a number of ways and it works well with many kendo stances although I can't used to wielding my Dark Initiate v3 in a side stance lol The Hilt itself is practical in design and does have a "flashlight" like look to it however I, was in the star wars universe would keep a practical, simple designed saber similar to this so it works out just fine for me, Lastly I got a Silver Guard Switch since I wanted to have a star war like iginited switch, it looks better and for some reason in my mind, it would keep dust out a bit better. The Guard switch is nicely done, feels natural and you need to actually push down on the blade to ignite it or turn it off so I won't have to worry about it turning off on me during Kendo or during a lightsaber duel. the only complaint here is that I wish Ultrasaber would give you the option of them adding something like a Tsuba Guard on your lightsaber so that your hands don't touch the blade, obivously this isn't a big deal but if this was a real lightsaber, I would of lost my right hand lol

As for the Pommel I just got a Regular Solid Pommel, nothing fance or anything and scews on and off easily. As for the batteries, I got the Li-Ion Setup since EVERYONE essentially says it's the best setup for a saber and it doesn't cost that much more and they last about two to four hours before needing to be recharged again. At first I had no idea whatsoever how to get them out until I used a pair of scissors to gently pull them out just enough to take the batteries out to charge them.

Now onto the blade itself, I got a 32' UltraEdge Heavy Grade Blade, the blade sits FIRMLY in place and doesn't move, even after a few hours of practicing Kendo with it, the blade itself was smooth with no defects or damage. The blade was very light from what I was expecting, I honestly thought it would be 2x or 3x thicker and heavier but it wasn't, I guess I can't bash a zombie's brains with this XD

The end I got was a round tip and is fine although when it's on, it's seems to bit off well get to that in a minute.

May I Present you, the Priestess of the east yin yang......erggg uh I mean my Artic Blue Dark Initiate v3...Yeah!

Now since it's an Ultraedge, the Artic Blue is unified in the blade meaning it looks good everywhere all the time which is great at least to me until I get other blades however now comes the biggest complaint I have about the blade, the brightness ugh. I guess I didn't do enough homework I guess? I spent weeks looking up this stuff and asked around as well as reading dozens of threads but the brightness was a total disappointment. I honestly though the brightness would have the blade look like it does in the first picture which LOOKS FUDGING AMAZING! but atlas the blade really looks like the third picture which kinda killed it for me Sad  Every picture/Video I saw of an Ultrasaber always had them look like in the first picture, something right out of the movies where in reality there the fourth picture. From what videos and pictures i've seen with them with the brightness of the fourth picture, I thought they were low on battery power or were really close up so it would look that way. Then the next gripe I got is the tip which looks dirty like there's dry glue in it or something so the middle of the point is never lit up and it's certainly noticable noticeable from afar or when dueling someone.

Final thoughts on my Dark Initiate v3: The craftsmanship of the Hilt is great and fits well in my hands and is comfortable for a period of time but the blade itself brings it down a bit. This thing neat to look at and I'll use it for practicing Kendo or have lightsaber duels with my best friend probably alot but it doesn't look like a real lightsaber to me :/ Was it worth 150$? hmm hard to say really, The more I used it, It's been growing on me and it's not garbage by any means! I love the hilt, the brightness of the blades just kills me. If you can get passed the brightness of the blade(the true brightness is the fourth picture, not the first picture) then I say it's worth it and if you die hard fan, get sound! I didn't beacuse this blade doesn't truely reflect me per say, this does

but Ultrasaber won't build it so....

I am now going to do the Dark Initiate LE v4 I bought for my friend. The  Dark Initiate LE v4 won't be as long since it's similar just to let everyone know :/

Just by looking at this, this is nicer and I guess "exotic" looking compared to mine but it's not a big deal to me since this ins't my taste anyway. The hilt is really nice with Aluminum as with mine with silver grips which just adds to the hilt. The Dark Initiate LE v4 is basically the same size and thickness as my Dark Initiate v3 so you shouldn't have problem holding them in your hands and  I have to say this Hilt ALOT better grip wise honestly, I was able to grip it better and put more strength and momentum into my swings then I could with my Dark Initiate v3. It still does look like a fancy "flashlight" look to an extent although this one alot nicer. This one also has a Silver Guard switch and it looks good and blends right in with the hilt as if it's supposed to there. This hilt doesn't really a Tsuba Guard
like the Dark Initiate v3 since the grips keeps your hands in place with the worse, my hands moved to the emitter windows but I don't think I would of lost my hand?

As with the Dark Initate V3, I got the same setup with the Regular Solid Pommel which looks better on here with it being Flush and a Li-Ion Setup. I don't know why but every time I unscrew the Pommel on this one, it squeels until I take it off.

As with the Dark Initiate v3, it has a 32' UltraEdge Heavy Grade Blade and is firmly in place as well and doesn't move.

The  Dark Initiate LE v4 INGITED!

From the pictures this thing LOOKS AMAZING......unforntuely it doesn't look like that or the red blades from the star war universe where's its white in the middle and red on the outside, it's just has the entire blade Bright Red, I can't give an exact color but you get the idea, it looks real bad to me honestly to the point I get a "fake" or "Crappy" vibe but that's not the word I describe it, it's off maybe? The Tip on the blade is bright unlike my Dark Initiate v3 and isn't any stuff stuck there at the top.

Final thoughts on my Dark Initiate LE v4: Hilt is GREAT, it looks nice, exotic for the price and grips very well in your hands. as with mine, the Brightness of the blade brings it's down, I HATE the red honestly, it looks bad and gives off a "fake" or "something off" vibe but at least am not a sith lol As stated before for 140$, it's upto you if it's worth it or not. This hilt would probably be great with other colors.

Final thoughts in General: Although am heavily disappointed in the brightness of the blades, these two UltraSabers look great and I love the Hilts, there easy to take apart, easy to maintain and look cool, just a bumer the brightness sucks on these. For 250$ I could of put that towards a Switch or something else but I don't really regret purchasing these two sabers since I owed my best friend and I know he loves Star wars to the point he calls himself a Dark Warrior or Sith so I know he enjoy the Dark Initiate LE v4 even if the blade off and am sure he challenge me to a duel XD So as long as you do your homework and know what your buying, you can't go wrong with one of these and I recommend buying a soundboard to make it badass.  The only reason I didn't do sound for these two was because these two Sabers don't reflect me and my best friend so it won't be the same. The two of us are like Jedi, we want to hand craft our own sabers make them feel unique and that they belong to us.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »

It is good to see someone willing to be honest and post that they did have some complaints with the sabers, even if I don't agree with them. Great review. From what I've heard, the Red and Orange supposedly look worse in the UE blades. I don't yet have any personal experience with this, but it seems to be the case. Maybe you could try and get a normal blade and see if that makes it better for you. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the brightness, but I'm glad you still like the hilts. Point to you.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:44:30 AM »

Very nice review! My first saber is red-bladed too, but I seem to be in the opposite boat.

Before my first purchase, I knew the blades didn't look as the movies depict them. I set my expectations very low, so I was quite pleasantly surprised as a result. While you liked the hilts and were disappointed with the blades, I liked the blade and found the hilt a bit underwhelming. Over time, it grew on me. Hope it grows on you too.

I think mimicking how movie sabers look would be difficult. It would have to be too bright for our eyes to handle (think staring at the sun directly until you see a white orb with a yellow/orange aura around it).

Most people on here would suggest thinking of it in this way: sabers in film look the way they do only because we see them through the camera. For all we know, they look just like your saber in person as well.

Point to you for the great review!

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:57 AM »

thanks for the feedback, Just thought it be good to give my two cents, I still like ultrasabers lol

As for blades, am thinking of getting a midgrade eventually to see if there's a difference in brightness for nondueling activities. I honestly can never tell the difference with pictures or video's on the internet so I guess I'll just have to buy one and find out myself.

Have no idea how hard it be to get the blade to be white and with a color outline, I know wiring being Electrical a apprentice but I don't know crap about LED's lol

My Dark Initiate V3 has grown on me and don't mind it as much but the Dark Initiate LE V4 is just beyond what I can like, I feel like it's way too off and that a red lightsaber doesn't fit me since I see myself as Qun Gin that uses the darkside but is still a grey jedi.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:06:01 AM »

Yeah Ultra Edge is usually best for blues, greens, purples, yellow, white/Adegan Silver, not red or oranges though x.x I've been getting the standard blades lately though. I did get me a 36 inch Ultra edge Mid Grade blade in a Grab bag blade buy though and its not bad. Needed fixing in the film though

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »

So how is the standard grade? Does the red look better? I might get the standard Heavy 32 to see if it's better in red and a 36 to make mine a Claymore since I use mine more like a katana claymore then a lightsaber lol

Why can't they make Zombie apocalypse ready lightsabers? XD

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:22:06 AM »

Why can't they make Zombie apocalypse ready lightsabers? XD

I don't know what you mean about "Zombie apocalypse ready lightsabers", but if you are talking about being able to crack zombie skulls, they will do just fine.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »

oh good then I can kill zombies in style lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: