Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 55277 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 01, 2017, 05:37:54 AM »

It has come to my attention that we have quite a few members on the forum who have a deep love for movies. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, information and gossip about new movies is everywhere, so I thought having a single thread in this section where people can share thoughts and opinions on new movies, enjoy intelligent dialogue about movies throughout cinematic history, take the p*ss out of bad movies and generally engage with likeminded people would be a good idea.

As this is the internet, where tone can be misconstrued and opinions may vary wildly, it's necessary to have a few rules

THE RULES:1- Standard Saberforum rules apply

2- All movies are subjective; there are no right or wrong opinions.

3- Do not take it as a personal attack if someone criticises a movie you like/love

4- Try not to purposely antagonise anyone

5- Use *SPOILER ALERT* appropriately when discussing new movies that others may not have seen yet

6- Please post trailers in a separate thread and post the link to that thread here.

7- HAVE FUN!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

In my opinion, one of the best lines from one of the best movies ever.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:45:01 AM »

Is there another movie with a larger collection of iconic lines? Grin

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »

I foresee all other threads taking a temporary hit if this one takes off

I can quote Dumb and Dumber til my head falls off.
That one's off the top of my head.
Godfather
Back to the Future

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:49:08 AM »

Definitely the most quoted line in the film. However, I feel it's over use lessens it's impact when it actually happens in the movie. The Princess Bride, as every great movie should, has many many wonderful lines in it and I feel the ones that aren't quoted as much become funnier once you hear them again upon rewatching purely because they are not quoted as much in popular culture.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »

LEGO Batman was awesome, and I'm really excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thor: Ragnarok.

And I just set myself up perfectly for another "only watch superhero stuff" comment.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »

Definitely the most quoted line in the film. However, I feel it's over use lessens it's impact when it actually happens in the movie. The Princess Bride, as every great movie should, has many many wonderful lines in it and I feel the ones that aren't quoted as much become funnier once you hear them again upon rewatching purely because they are not quoted as much in popular culture.

Oversaturation ruins everything. It's half the reason why so many people hate FROZEN (which is a solid little movie when you get down to it).

LEGO Batman was awesome, and I'm really excited for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thor: Ragnarok.

And I just set myself up perfectly for another "only watch superhero stuff" comment.

It's okay. You'll eventually run out of superhero movies to watch. Cheesy

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:17 AM »

My hope is if this takes off, that it becomes stickied as a go to place for all forum members who love movies

This is Spinal Tap and Pulp Fiction?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:46 AM »

I don't know, but that is sure a good one.

Quite possibly.

My hope is if this takes off, that it becomes stickied as a go to place for all forum members who love movies

Yes, but the feeling with which he says it at the beginning while talking the The Dread Pirate Roberts is so powerful, you can just feel how much he loved his father.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:16 AM »

Yes, but the feeling with which he says it at the beginning while talking the The Dread Pirate Roberts is so powerful, you can just feel how much he loved his father.
That's not in question. But the line itself is so overused in popular that the oversaturation, as LB said, lessens the impact. Can't be helped. It's like hearing a great song you love on the radio on repeat every two hours every day. Eventually you don't react to it the same way.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:32 AM »

This is Spinal Tap and Pulp Fiction?

In a head-to-head contest probably yeah, but I don't know if their cultural footprint is as large. Which is super weird for PULP FICTION, considering how influential it was.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »

Just watched Dead Pool for the first time tonight and I enjoyed it.

Being a husband and father, I can't stomach sexual content or gory violence anymore which I prefer not to anyways. 

Thanks to Netflix I was able to skip by the scenes that kept me from this movie and enabled me to enjoy the aspects of Marvel I like seeing on the big screen.

Best movie iteration of Colossus I've seen who has been one of my favourite X-men for years.  Didn't enjoy how slow he was in a fight, but the actual rendering and character was nice.

Even though Dead Pool is crass it was "tasteful" for movie going and Ryan Reynolds was a lot of fun.  I've enjoyed him being more and more active in leading roles.  

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57:59 AM »

That's not in question. But the line itself is so overused in popular that the oversaturation, as LB said, lessens the impact. Can't be helped. It's like hearing a great song you love on the radio on repeat every two hours every day. Eventually you don't react to it the same way.

True, but I still love the line.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 05:59:11 AM »

Just watched Dead Pool for the first time tonight and I enjoyed it.

Being a husband and father, I can't stomach sexual content or gory violence anymore which I prefer not to anyways.

Thanks to Netflix I was able to skip by the scenes that kept me from this movie and enabled me to enjoy the aspects of Marvel I like seeing on the big screen.

Best movie iteration of Colossus I've seen who has been one of my favourite X-men for years.  Didn't enjoy how slow he was in a fight, but the actual rendering and character was nice.

Even though Dead Pool is crass it was "tasteful" for movie going and Ryan Reynolds was a lot of fun.  I've enjoyed him being more and more active in leading roles.  

I think DEADPOOL was the best CBM of last year, which is more of a reflection on the rest of the movies than DEADPOOL's quality. It's a really nice little movie though, and I LOVE his relationship with Vanessa.

Like you though, I don't have as much of a stomach for strong content that I used to. I've become especially sensitive to violence lately (although I still watch it).

It's a good line. Smiley

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »

In a head-to-head contest probably yeah, but I don't know if their cultural footprint is as large. Which is super weird for PULP FICTION, considering how influential it was.
The Princess Bride only came out 7 years before Pulp Fiction. In terms or cultural footprint, Pulp Fiction influenced not only a whole generation of filmmakers, directors and writers, but changed how movie dialogue and linear storytelling was used in cinema as a whole. That's a pretty big footprint right there.

EVERYBODY loves the line. That's why it's so popular.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: