Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ALIEN: COVENANT - OFFICIAL TRAILER no. 2  (Read 1954 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 01, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »

Alien is one of the best sci-fi horror movies ever made. It's sequel, Aliens, is one of the best sci-fi action movies ever made. Unfortunately, much like the Terminator franchise, since the second movie things have gone downhill rapidly. Ridley Scott attempted to right the ship (no pun intended) with Prometheus, but that movie wasn't the massive hit with fans and critics that people expected. Which brings us to Alien: Covenant, a sequel to Prometheus and another prequel to Alien.

I don't know what it is, but I am just not as excited about this movie as I thought I was going to be. Alien and Aliens are two of my favourite movies of all time, and I desperately WANT this to be good. However, nothing I have seen in the trailers has got me hugely excited. What do you guys think?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KPP6lxRVg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KPP6lxRVg</a>

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

They've got my money already.

I like the cast, I like the production design, and I like how eerie it looks. Maybe not as claustrophobic as Alien or Aliens, but it still eerie.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:07:14 PM »

I like the cast, I like the production design, and I like how eerie it looks. Maybe not as claustrophobic as Alien or Aliens, but it still eerie.
I think that's it. That's why I'm not as excited for this. Alien and Aliens are both really claustrophobic and isolated. I don't get that same feeling from this movie. Although, it may end up being that way, I don't get that sense from this trailer. It looks like they took elements from Prometheus and added in a couple elements from Aliens, but with a lot more outdoor stuff. But we shall see.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »

I think that's it. That's why I'm not as excited for this. Alien and Aliens are both really claustrophobic and isolated. I don't get that same feeling from this movie. Although, it may end up being that way, I don't get that sense from this trailer. It looks like they took elements from Prometheus and added in a couple elements from Aliens, but with a lot more outdoor stuff. But we shall see.
Well, they are bringing the gap between Prometheus and Alien, so I'm good with that kind of sensibility.

As to the claustrophobic nature of the Alien films, it looks like a lot of that is still there with the Xenomorph running all over the ship. The terror still seems to be there, but the outdoors scenes are seeming to bring in the foreboding desolation of Prometheus.

Something intriguing was in that trailer as well: Specifically, the mention of wheat growing on this alien world.

Makes me wonder if the planet they are on is a game preserve used by the Yautja for their hunts.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »

Well, they are bringing the gap between Prometheus and Alien, so I'm good with that kind of sensibility.

As to the claustrophobic nature of the Alien films, it looks like a lot of that is still there with the Xenomorph running all over the ship. The terror still seems to be there, but the outdoors scenes are seeming to bring in the foreboding desolation of Prometheus.

Something intriguing was in that trailer as well: Specifically, the mention of wheat growing on this alien world.

Makes me wonder if the planet they are on is a game preserve used by the Yautja for their hunts.
I never thought the outdoor scenes in Prometheus provided a sense of foreboding desolation. But that's just me. And, I'm really not getting a sense of terror from the xenomorph on the ship. Maybe I will experience that when I eventually watch the film. But as of right now, it's left me feeling flat and kinda "meh".

I agree though, that the wheat and the "no animals" thing is intriguing.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »

Alien is one of the best sci-fi horror movies ever made. It's sequel, Aliens, is one of the best sci-fi action movies ever made.

That's a very apt description of the first two films.  While they tackle the same subject matter, they're vastly different in tone, as well as in scope.  Both are great for being what they are.

You and me both.  Cool

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:49:47 PM »

That's a very apt description of the first two films.  While they tackle the same subject matter, they're vastly different in tone, as well as in scope.  Both are great for being what they are.
It's the same with Terminator and T2.

Can anyone explain why it is these movies people ALWAYS look inside the eggs when the flaps open? If I was on an alien planet, saw an egg whose flaps open and I can see some intestine membrane looking moving around inside, the last thing I would do is GET CLOSER for a better look! These are supposed to be intelligent people. Grrr!  Cheesy Grin

(Just to clarify, this is entirely a rhetorical question and tongue-in-cheek humour of the slight absurdity of that part of these movies)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »

Thanks, Knox!  Alien Movie + Ridley Scott = No Brainer

I trust Ridley Scott and my mind is open to anywhere he wants to take me on this earlier chapter in the Alien franchise. It is going to be awesome regardless. I'm all in. Take my money now.  Cool

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »

Seems I'm the only one who is apprehensive about this movie. That's fine. in fact, I think I might enjoy it more going in with lower expectations, especially if it ends up being great.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 12:06:09 AM »

I'm not super excited or anything, but I'll go see it for sure.  It looks good to me. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: