Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Top 11 Favourite Superheroes of all Time  (Read 15299 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »

It's fair to say that comic book movies currently rule the box office. So, I thought, why not have a list featuring superheroes? Please make sure to read all the rules before posting

Rules of the game:
- You are only allowed to pick 11 superheroes (that's 10 with a bonus pick)
- Only THREE Honourable mentions are allowed
- Your choices DO NOT have to be in order of favourites
- Superheroes only, NO villains or anti-heroes
- Your picks can be from anywhere in film-dom or comic-dom (Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, Dark Horse)
- You can only choose individuals, NO teams (so you cannot choose X-Men, Fantastic Four, Justice League etc)

Please remember - That all opinions on superheroes are subjective. There are no wrong or right answers for the superheroes you love, so no putting down other peoples picks if they choose someone you disagree with.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »

As previously stated, these are in no particular order. I love them all, for various reasons. The numbers are just there to make sure I limited myself to 11. This was another toughie topic

My picks:

1- Spiderman (The first superhero whose comic book I started buying regularly)

2- Batman (Almost a cliche these days as he's everywhere, but I've loved him from the 60s tv series right through till now)

3- Nightcrawler (Swashbuckling, funny, blue skin, a tail and BAMF!)

4- Plastic Man (The illegal lovechild of Mr Fantastic and Deadpool. But in DC. And crazy awesome)

5- Lobo (He's a mass-murdering space biker psychopath who loves space dolphins. He's fought and beaten Superman, killed Santa and    
      was refused entry to heaven AND hell)

6- Black Panther (The first black superhero in the world. And he's a King)

7- Gambit (Such a charismatic and complex character)

8- Rogue Trooper (One of the standout characters from British comic 2000AD)

9- Kitty Pryde (Especially during Joss Whedon's run on X-Men she developed into an amazingly strong character)

10- The Incredible Hulk (The very first superhero that I simultaneously loved and was scared of at the same time, thanks to the white
      eyes transformation of Bill Bixby in the tv show. Plus who couldn't love all those muscles? He also has had some fascinating
      psychological storylines exploring the nature of his childhood traumas that adds lots of complexity and intrigue as to which Hulk
      emerges)

11- Dash - The Incredibles (If for nothing else, that little laugh of joy he gives when he discovers he can run on water! He's like a
      combination of The Flash and Johnny Storm).

Honourable mentions:
Wolverine, Captain America, Squirrel Girl

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »

It's fair to say that comic book movies currently rule the box office. So, I thought, why not have a list featuring superheroes? Please make sure to read all the rules before posting

Rules of the game:
- You are only allowed to pick 11 tv shows (that's 10 with a bonus pick)
- Only THREE Honourable mentions are allowed
- Your choices DO NOT have to be in order of favourites
- Superheroes only, NO villains or anti-heroes
- Your picks can be from anywhere in film-dom or comic-dom (Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, Dark Horse)
- You can only choose individuals, NO teams (so you cannot choose X-Men, Fantastic Four, Justice League etc)

Please remember - That all opinions on superheroes are subjective. There are no wrong or right answers for the superheroes you love, so no putting down other peoples picks if they choose someone you disagree with.

Oops?

Also, how are Lobo and Hulk not classified as an anti-heroes?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »

Oops?
what oops?

*edit* never mind. Just saw it.

Also, how are Lobo and Hulk not classified as an anti-heroes?
Because they changed the character. He is reformed and no longer an assassin. Therefore he, technically, qualifies regardless of how he started

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

what oops?

*edit* never mind. Just saw it.
Because they changed the character. He is reformed and no longer an assassin. Therefore he, technically, qualifies regardless of how he started
Does he still have his uber-badass methodology of "solving" problems?

And doesn't answer about Hulk.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »

Does he still have his uber-badass methodology of "solving" problems?
Nope. He took a vow and is now the leader of a religious order. He still protects space dolphins too.

And doesn't answer about Hulk.
Founding member of The Avengers. I would say, yes. Definitely a hero (who only experiences "problems" when people try to control him or mess with him. Leave him be and everything is fine).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »

Nope. He took a vow and is now the leader of a religious order. He still protects space dolphins too.
Founding member of The Avengers. I would say, yes. Definitely a hero (who only experiences "problems" when people try to control him or mess with him. Leave him be and everything is fine).
IDK. My info says that the Hulk was one of, if not the first comic book anti-hero, because he was usually at odds with the military, who are always supposed to be the good guys. (Speaking from a 1960s POV) Roll Eyes

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »

IDK. My info says that the Hulk was one of, if not the first comic book anti-hero, because he was usually at odds with the military, who are always supposed to be the good guys. (Speaking from a 1960s POV) Roll Eyes
And of course the military could never be that bad guys, which I how I always viewed them. Hulk just wanted to be left alone. As I said, his whole history is of people pursuing him/trying to control him/trying to mess with him. When he is left alone sh*t doesn't happen. And The Avengers was founded in 1963. He was a founding member. It was only later, through military pursuing him, that the pesky government classed him as a bad guy/villain/anti-hero (to save face for their blunders at causing the problem in the first place).

I always viewed him as a hero, a lonely individual who wanted to be left alone but he was being unfairly hounded and pursued by those evil military guys. So  Tongue

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »

HECK YES THIS IS MY JAM!!!!!!

11. Batman
10. Storm
9. Wolverine
8. Captain America
7. Dick Grayson
6. Nightcrawler
5. Daredevil
4. Khamala Khan
3. Scarlet Witch
2. Superman
1. SPIDER-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Honorable Mentions: Johnny Storm, The Thing, Jean Grey

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »

HECK YES THIS IS MY JAM!!!!!!

11. Batman
10. Storm
9. Wolverine
8. Captain America
7. Dick Grayson
6. Nightcrawler
5. Daredevil
4. Khamala Khan
3. Scarlet Witch
2. Superman
1. SPIDER-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Honorable Mentions: Johnny Storm, The Thing, Dr. Manhattan
Nice list. The problem I had with this was it is "superheroes" not just "comic book character". There are so many characters in comics I love who aren't themselves heroes, like Barbara & Commissoner Gordon, The Question and Alfred.

Your list seems to be heavily slanted towards Marvel. Was that intentional or just how it played out?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

And of course the military could never be that bad guys, which I how I always viewed them. Hulk just wanted to be left alone. As I said, his whole history is of people pursuing him/trying to control him/trying to mess with him. When he is left alone sh*t doesn't happen. And The Avengers was founded in 1963. He was a founding member. It was only later, through military pursuing him, that the pesky government classed him as a bad guy/villain/anti-hero (to save face for their blunders at causing the problem in the first place).

I always viewed him as a hero, a lonely individual who wanted to be left alone but he was being unfairly hounded and pursued by those evil military guys. So  Tongue
Ok, so his current standing is full hero?

Next question: Does Deadpool count as hero or anti? And by extension, would Kratos qualify, or are we limited to the traditional comic type heroes?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »

Next question: Does Deadpool count as hero or anti? And by extension, would Kratos qualify, or are we limited to the traditional comic type heroes?
Kratos isn't a hero, although he does do (some) heroic things.

As for Deadpool, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring him up. As Deadpool breaks the 4th wall and knows he's a comic character, he is the exception to the anti-hero rule. Just him though. No-one else

Ok, so his current standing is full hero?

I didn't include him for his current standing, as I haven't read a hulk comic for a few years. I included him based on the comics I read back in the day, the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno tv series and his current portrayals in the MCU.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »

This'll be a fun one. I'll do it when I get back home. The only one that will be in order is #1. And there's a good possibility that you all know who it will be. Maybe not though, I haven't talked that much about this character while on here.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

This'll be a fun one. I'll do it when I get back home. The only one that will be in order is #1. And there's a good possibility that you all know who it will be. Maybe not though, I haven't talked that much about this character while on here.
Paste Pot Pete? Very doubtful as he's a villain.

Hmm......Moonknight? Dr Fate? Flash Gordon?

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »

Nice list. The problem I had with this was it is "superheroes" not just "comic book character". There are so many characters in comics I love who aren't themselves heroes, like Barbara & Commissoner Gordon, The Question and Alfred.

Your list seems to be heavily slanted towards Marvel. Was that intentional or just how it played out?

Um these are all superheroes. I just gave them their real names in cases when they've had multiple identities or could be confused with another hero (like "The Human Torch" could be Johnny Storm or Jim Hammond, and "Ms. Marvel" could be Carol or Khamala, and Dick Grayson is so insecure he never knows who he is). I would also argue that Wolverine just barely meets the definition of "hero" and, while Scarlet Witch has a villainous past, she's mostly known for her time in the Avengers, and James Robinson's recent run with her has given her a nice redemptive arc.

I also edited Dr. Manhattan out when I realized he could be considered an anti-hero or, in the case of DC Rebirth, a villain.

It was how it played out. I'm more of a Marvel guy in general because, while I like DC characters, I think Marvel is much more interesting. I often like DC in theory, but many of their actual stories leave me cold. I think this is because DC's characters or more mythological and iconic, so I like thinking about them, but when it comes to empathizing with characters Marvel hits much more often.

Like, I can think about how Batman's a super cool detective that deals with the dark seedy underbelly of Gotham, or I can remember a beautiful moment in Chris Claremont's run when Storm retreats to her garden in the X-Mansion for some much-needed alone time. One is "cool," the other is something I can empathize with.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: