Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Holocron painting  (Read 957 times)
OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -47

« on: March 03, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »

So I just got one of Sedsti Skyfaller's Sith Holocrons, and I love it. I got the unpainted version though so I could come up with my color scheme. What is the best way to paint these or is there any sort of special paints adhesives I need to paint it correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »

I would ask who you bought it from that question. It's going to be slim getting an answer to that question on here I would think.  Actually I do know who might know the answer to that question B1ondeange1 might, ask her.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:30:56 AM »

I would ask who you bought it from that question. It's going to be slim getting an answer to that question on here I would think.  Actually I do know who might know the answer to that question B1ondeange1 might, ask her.

Lol!

I've just woken up so let's see if I can remember what you use on on 3D printing plastic...

Firstly, if it's a rough finish and you want it smooth, then one of the best methods apparently is using some kind of filler- either car spray primer filler or spray putty can work (spray putty comes out thicker). You will lose detail however doing this, especially fine detail. Otherwise you have to sand the plastic back (again, can be difficult especially into corners and potentially lose detail, plus sandpaper clogs very easily, and power sanding have to be careful you don't just melt it onto the 3d printed surface). There's also a process called vapour smoothing (or something like that, where you use solvent fumes to eat the plastic basically, google will be your friend here). I'm sure there are a lot of other methods out there these are just ones I've heard of in talking with friends.

Whatever you do, you will want to prep your surface first. Hubby does this with plastic by washing it in a solution of dish detergent or hand soap and water to remove the oils, dirt and dust from handling it, sanding, just sitting there collecting dust etc then rinsing it with water before laying out to dry (then don't leave it days before painting otherwise it will collect more dust. Alternatively wax and grease remover is what you use in the car industry with a lint free cloth like tack cloth.

Far as paint adhesion directly to the plastic you will probably want to use a plastic primer (this depends on what type of plastic it is and what paint you use, some hobby paints are designed to adhere directly to plastic). We often skip this step personally and rarely have issues, painting onto PVA glue on foam or plastidip on foam, or direct onto the plastic.

Spraying is going to give a better finish than painting with a brush (no burst strokes, unless that's the look you are going for). When working with multiple colours, that means putting down your main colour then masking off the areas you don't want the second colour, or alternatively we will sometimes paint the high area/ detail colours first then mask those off to paint the main colour. Using a hobby paint will probably give you a better finish and adhesion, plus you can get it in a lot of different colours (some are also designed more for plastics, or to have a little more flexibility for RC cars etc). We usually use Tamiya or Mr Hobby brands of paint, or automotive quality paint if in any volume (coz I can get it cheaper than retail price and it is beautiful paint to work with). As to using acrylic or enamel- that's your choice. We use solvent based acrylics for almost everything, not a fan of enamels personally. We also spray with a compressor and appropriate sized air brush or air spray gun rather than a spray can because the finish is much better but if you don't have that equipment spray cans work just fine. Just remember to use the correct methods for spraying and you'll get a better finish.

Hope this is the answers you were looking for (I got hubby to help me out Tongue ) alternatively as jediseth said ask sedsti skyfaller if he has any recommendations on brands/ type of paint.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:06:47 AM »

Thanks for all the advice. lol I actually just went ahead with some black combo primer/paint in a spray can. I think it came out pretty well. Then used model paint to get the faces and the accents. This is what I have so far

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:50:58 AM »

Looks like it's getting there Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »

Finished it with a coat of matte clear coat this morning.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: