Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Top 11 Favourite Superhero Movies of all Time  (Read 5604 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 04, 2017, 08:24:07 AM »

As so, we come to the obvious round. I have been resisting doing this topic for a while as I felt the subject matter would just produce  really similar results from everyone. But, superhero movies just cannot be ignored any longer. Please make sure to read all the rules before posting

Rules of the game:

- You are only allowed to pick 11 superhero movies (that's 10 with a bonus pick)
- Only THREE Honourable mentions are allowed
- Your choices DO NOT have to be in order of favourites
- Your picks can only be THEATRICALLY released movies
- Anti-heroes are completely eligible
- You can only choose individual movies, NOT an entire franchise, even if the hero's arc spans multiple movies

Google definition of a superhero - A type of costumed heroic character who typically possesses supernatural or superhuman powers and who is dedicated to fighting crime, protecting the public, and usually battling supervillains.

Obviously we all know characters that are heroes that do not 100% fit with that definition. However, just use some common sense when making your choices.

Please remember - That all opinions on superhero movies are subjective. There are no wrong or right answers for the movies you love, so no putting down other peoples picks if they choose something you disagree with.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »

I've been reading comics since I was 5 years old (and still have some of comics from back then in my collection to this day). Despite the popularity of the comic book movies these days, this list was hard for me as I wanted to focus on movies that really left an impact on me.

My picks:

1- Darkman - (Before he was Taken Lian Neeson was a superhero. Written & directed by Sam Raimi, this movie has stuck with me)

2- Flash Gordon - (Camp, cheesy and quite brilliant. And it has a soundtrack by Queen)

3- Superman (1978) - (The tagline on the poster was "You'll believe a man can fly". And boy, did we. Christopher Reeve is still the
      benchmark by which all future Superman actors are measured)

4- Batman 66 (Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb)

5- The Shadow - (Pre-SNL Trump parodying Alex Baldwin starred in this very underrated cult classic)

6- Superman 2 - (Come to me son of Jor-El KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!)

7- The Crow - (Sadly, the last movie of Brandon Lee before his untimely passing, it is a wonderful gothic fantasy with a touching love story at it's
      core)

8- Iron-Man - (Kicked off the MCU with a bang and re-educated everyone to the depth of talent within RDJ)

9- Captain America: The Winter Soldier - (Turned Cap from a well-meaning boy scout into a legitimate badass)

10- Deadpool - (Funny, crass, violent and the best 4th wall breaks since Ferris Bueller)

11- The Avengers - (The movie they said couldn't be done was done very very well and successfully closed the book on phase 1)

Honourable mentions:
Batman - Mask of the Phantasm, The Dark Knight, The Wolverine (r rated version)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »

Does the director's cut of a film that was released theatrically count?

By the way, I love The Shadow.  I was actually thinking about that film last night.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

Pending an answer to my question, here's my list.  If I have to, I'll remove Daredevil, though I'd prefer not to.  The movie *was* released theatrically, but the theatrical cut is inferior and the movie the studio wanted, not the movie the director wanted, which is hailed by most who have seen it as *the* cut of the film.  So, if I have to replace it, I'll replace it with an entirely different film.

1. Deadpool
2. Superman (1978)
3. Mystery Men
4. Daredevil: The Director's Cut (the movie the director wanted us to see, so much better)
5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
6. X-Men (2000)
7. The Avengers
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Batman (1989)
10. Batman Begins
11. Blade

Honorable mentions:  The Shadow, The Phantom, Dredd.

I know, my last honorable pick Dredd isn't, strictly speaking, a supehero, more of a super cop.  But, I love the character and he does team up with Judge Anderson, who has super powers in the form of telepathy, and he does fight supervillians, such as the dark judges, who we probably would have seen if they'd done a sequel.  And, he always gets a mention when I talk about comic films, so there he is.  Besides, he fights crime aided by training, weaponry, body armor and a really cool bike.  Sound familiar?  That's Batman too.  The Karl Urban version, by the way, not the Italian Stallion.

Obviously, this isn't a complete list, but these are just some of my favorites.  Superhero films are a sub genre that's near and dear to my heart.  I've always loved superheroes, from the time I was a small boy until now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  While I still enjoy the films, I actually enjoy the ones *not* produced as part of some bigger scheme series, which is why I didn't include more than a couple MCU films and none of the newer DCEU films.  I think they have more heart when they're developed individually, also we can get somebody's actual version of something, not the version that said someone is making to try and tie in with other films and/or compete with another major franchise, etc.  That's just my take on it.  I'm not saying I don't still love the films, I just love the ones from back when they were fewer and farther between.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »

Does the director's cut of a film that was released theatrically count?

By the way, I love The Shadow.  I was actually thinking about that film last night.
I'll allow directors cuts (I have the r rated wolverine in my honourable mentions).

Obviously, this isn't a complete list, but these are just some of my favorites.  Superhero films are a sub genre that's near and dear to my heart.  I've always loved superheroes, from the time I was a small boy until now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  While I still enjoy the films, I actually enjoy the ones *not* produced as part of some bigger scheme series, which is why I didn't include more than a couple MCU films and none of the newer DCEU films.  I think they have more heart when they're developed individually, also we can get somebody's actual version of something, not the version that said someone is making to try and tie in with other films and/or compete with another major franchise, etc.  That's just my take on it.  I'm not saying I don't still love the films, I just love the ones from back when they were fewer and farther between.

I agree with some of what you say here. If you look at my list there are only 4 newer movies on there for a reason.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

2. The Rocketeer

3. LOGAN

4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

5. The Punisher

6. Batman Begins

7. Deadpool

8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

9. SPAWN

10. Mystery Men

11. Watchmen

(I hope animated feature length films are admissible)

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

2. The Rocketeer

3. LOGAN

5. The Punisher

6. Batman: Under The Red Hood

7. Deadpool

8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

9. Justice League: DOOM

10. Mystery Men

11. Watchmen

(I hope animated feature length films are admissible)
animated are only admissable if they were released theatrically (it's the 4th rule)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »

animated are only admissible if they were released theatrically

I have revised my list accordingly.  Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »

I like this choice. IMO it was just as good if not better then #1. I didn't mind Gwen dying, because I didn't like her character in that movie, and I don't really like Emma Stone as an actress.

My list will be up sometime.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »

I like this choice. IMO it was just as good if not better then #1. I didn't mind Gwen dying, because I didn't like her character in that movie, and I don't really like Emma Stone as an actress.

My list will be up sometime.
Gwen dying is one of the most iconic moments in Spidey's comic history. That being said, the movie was a mess (in my opinion). Although the good thing it did was get Sony talking to Marvel and we got Tom Holland's Spidey in Civil War, which is the BEST on screen Spidey we have had to date.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »

Gwen dying is one of the most iconic moments in Spidey's comic history. That being said, the movie was a mess (in my opinion). Although the good thing it did was get Sony talking to Marvel and we got Tom Holland's Spidey in Civil War, which is the BEST on screen Spidey we have had to date.

Oh yeah. Tom does AMAZING as spidey. He not only acts the part perfectly, but he also looks the part. And he's hilarious in it.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »

Oh yeah. Tom does AMAZING as spidey. He not only acts the part perfectly, but he also looks the part. And he's hilarious in it.
we finally have a Spidey who quips when he's fighting. And it's also very cool that Tom does a lot if his own acrobatics

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »

we finally have a Spidey who quips when he's fighting. And it's also very cool that Tom does a lot if his own acrobatics

That I didn't know, but it makes me respect him even more. (I sorta wanna be a stuntman. Or actually I'd rather be an actor who does his own stunts) Roll Eyes

And his whole "that thing doesn't follow any of the laws of physics" (or whatever he said, I didn't feel like going and finding the exact quote), that is so true, and I really want to see him team up with Daredevil sometime like his does in the comics all the time.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »

What the. . . ?

You pick that over the first Amazing SM and Spider-Man 2? Interesting.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »

Lets see here.... A lot to choose from. #1 will be in order of favorite, but none of the others will be.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Doctor Strange
5. Big Hero 6
6. Ant-Man
7. Avengers
8. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
9. Man of Steel
10. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
11. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Honorable Mentions:
Iron Man, Thor: The Dark World, Thor.

For all their faults, I still enjoyed BvS, MoS and GL. I didn't put GL in their, because I didn't like it as much as some of the other ones, but I still enjoyed it. I haven't watched any of the X-Men movies, or else I probably would have put some of them in there. As you can see, I like Marvel.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: