Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Mantis CE - Video Review  (Read 4890 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« on: March 07, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »

Hey everyone,

Here is a quick look at the Mantis CE that I bought for my girlfriend. It's more of a first impressions and usability review than anything else. I do apologize in advance to any off-hand users as I didn't really touch on reverse grip on this hilt as I just haven't had enough time to play with it. Also, I'm not very good at reverse grip yet either to be fair.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzVyptgnd9w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzVyptgnd9w</a>

Darth Eevee helped:

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »

Once again Isola great review. You really showed some great ways on how to hold that saber that to me not owning that saber I struggle a little on how I'm going to hold and wield it. I've actually almost purchased that saber twice now. Originally I wanted the CE, but now can't decide if I want the dark version because of the claws and maybe going a little more Sith. I also don't own RGBA so I been thinking that too. Good job, the music little add in cracked me up. +1

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »

Yeah I really enjoy your reviews, Isola ... points to you for a good mantis review.

Not interested in one myself but it sure is a striking lightsaber and you don't see many azure versions around.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:47:46 AM »

Thank you for that review. I had already planned on getting one sometime, but I was almost scared off by the size and weight. However, since I now have a first hand account of the saber's comfort and maneuverability, I will definitely be happy with it when I do get it. Thanks again, and have a point.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:32 AM »

The shape of the bent lightsaber/Mantis looks like it was inspired by the shape of hilts used in fencing foils.

If it works the same way, it is intended for a single-handed grip where the bent part starts to angle down around the base of the palm. They look funky, but they are balanced to do fluid movements with a single hand.

I didn't realize just how big they were until I saw this video. That's a large hilt!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:48:41 AM »

That was a fantastic review, Isola, and I'll tell you what others have told me recently about my last review, that because of your review I'm going to be buying a Mantis! You spoke so affirmatively and pointed out many aspects of the Mantis that I hadn't thought of, especially the part at the end where you fully endorsed kitting this thing all out if you're going to get one and have the means. The various styles that can stem from how you can grip this saber was pretty eye opening and educational. Like Taegin I'm ready to buy one NOW. Probably a ways off yet but I'll definitely go for all out when I do get one, and I saw mentioned in another thread, I'll just have to wait until I can go all out. I won't want to hold back at all, so it'll be worth waiting for.

Really, really funny moment there where you left us for a few seconds - PERFECT song choice.  Laughed out loud. Thanks for a very useful and entertaining review, again.  Cheesy

Point incoming!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:57:51 AM »

Once again Isola great review. You really showed some great ways on how to hold that saber that to me not owning that saber I struggle a little on how I'm going to hold and wield it. I've actually almost purchased that saber twice now. Originally I wanted the CE, but now can't decide if I want the dark version because of the claws and maybe going a little more Sith. I also don't own RGBA so I been thinking that too. Good job, the music little add in cracked me up. +1

Thanks Smiley

And if you've nearly bought it twice... well you know what they say about third time lucky Wink

Yeah I really enjoy your reviews, Isola ... points to you for a good mantis review.

Not interested in one myself but it sure is a striking lightsaber and you don't see many azure versions around.

Thanks, Haz!

I can understand the design isn't to everyone's taste. But if you ever get the chance to have a play with one at a con or if someone else has one, I would suggest to treat yourself Smiley

Thank you for that review. I had already planned on getting one sometime, but I was almost scared off by the size and weight. However, since I now have a first hand account of the saber's comfort and maneuverability, I will definitely be happy with it when I do get it. Thanks again, and have a point.

I was slightly concerned by the size and weight too seeing as I was buying it for my girlfriend. I didn't want it to be too awkward for her. But all worked out well Smiley

The shape of the bent lightsaber/Mantis looks like it was inspired by the shape of hilts used in fencing foils.

If it works the same way, it is intended for a single-handed grip where the bent part starts to angle down around the base of the palm. They look funky, but they are balanced to do fluid movements with a single hand.

I didn't realize just how big they were until I saw this video. That's a large hilt!

I did find that center grip area where I was tucking the switch in my palm to be the most fluid movement point. As I swung the saber from that position I could transition from over to under swings and left foot forward to right foot forward as effortlessly as walking! It becomes a proper extension of you when gripped at that point. I have no fencing experience so was unaware why that was such an amazing point of grip. Thanks for providing me with some insight on that Smiley

And it is quite big. From my wrist to where that pommel lands on my forearm is near on 8" (I only know this because the solid blue line of my wraparound tattoo is 8" from my wrist). But it doesn't feel big or clunky Smiley

That was a fantastic review, Isola, and I'll tell you what others have told me recently about my last review, that because of your review I'm going to be buying a Mantis! You spoke so affirmatively and pointed out many aspects of the Mantis that I hadn't thought of, especially the part at the end where you fully endorsed kitting this thing all out if you're going to get one and have the means. The various styles that can stem from how you can grip this saber was pretty eye opening and educational. Like Taegin I'm ready to buy one NOW. Probably a ways off yet but I'll definitely go for all out when I do get one, and I saw mentioned in another thread, I'll just have to wait until I can go all out. I won't want to hold back at all, so it'll be worth waiting for.

Really, really funny moment there where you left us for a few seconds - PERFECT song choice.  Laughed out loud. Thanks for a very useful and entertaining review, again.  Cheesy

Point incoming!

I'm glad to hear that there will be some more Mantis owners soon!

Looking forward to seeing the setup you choose for yours when you're ready to take the plunge!

Thanks everyone for your points and replies  Grin

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »

Love the review, never knew it was so well balanced! I've always wanted a curved saber, but wasn't sure if the mantis would be the one I'd want. How comfortable is the lower section with the shroud? Any sharp edges? Have a point, good sir XD

Also, that Eevee looks like it's about to turn into an Espeon Tongue

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »

Love the review, never knew it was so well balanced! I've always wanted a curved saber, but wasn't sure if the mantis would be the one I'd want. How comfortable is the lower section with the shroud? Any sharp edges? Have a point, good sir XD

Also, that Eevee looks like it's about to turn into an Espeon Tongue

No way! She'll be a Flareon or she'll stay an Eevee! :p

The lower section is super comfortable. The little gaps over those gills/scales give you remarkable grip, and there are no sharp edges anywhere on this saber. Top notch quality top to bottom  Cool

Thanks, CK!

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »

No way! She'll be a Flareon or she'll stay an Eevee! :p

The lower section is super comfortable. The little gaps over those gills/scales give you remarkable grip, and there are no sharp edges anywhere on this saber. Top notch quality top to bottom  Cool

Thanks, CK!

Nice, if it's that comfortable I might end up getting one myself Tongue Thanks again!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »

Nice, if it's that comfortable I might end up getting one myself Tongue Thanks again!

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »

Don't seduce me with the dark side XD

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »

Beautiful! The Mantis CE is one of my favorite in the entire US lineup.

PrincessKnowItAll
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »

We are not getting our Review video fix fast enough over here Isola815!

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »

We are not getting our Review video fix fast enough over here Isola815!

Running out of sabers! I only have two left to do!

I can either blow through them all like a Netflix binge or I can spread them out and make it last longer  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: