Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Nintendo switch opinion?  (Read 6623 times)
NotoriousVDB
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -3

« on: March 08, 2017, 02:15:06 AM »

I'm thinking about getting one so I could have it mobile but I feel like games like skyrim or gta will perform poorly. It would be cool to have but maybe it's better to upgrade my Xbox one to the Scorpio when that releases

go patriots!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:31:49 AM »

Three of my coworkers/friends have them.  The hardware seems really solid, though the system right now is very barebones.  They didn't even install a web browser.  It can literally just run the handful of games it has out right now.  As for Skyrim, I don't know.  It may be able to handle it.  It's still pretty hush-hush what's under the hood.  But, it does have a custom Tegra/Nvidia chip, and they make some awesome mobile chips.  It's a quad core at 2 GHz and has 4GB RAM.  That's of course not as good as a PS4 or XBOX One, which are four years older.  The question is: will it run Skyrim or Skyrim remastered?  Skyrim, as released for the PS3 and XBOX 360, should run on that.  It's not like those 2005 era consoles are as powerful as the Switch.  However, I don't see it running Skyrim remastered, which was remastered for the 8th gen consoles.

Personally, I'm on a wait and see approach with the Switch.  I want more than Zelda: Breath of the Wild (the only game that looks good to me) to play on it and I want to see if it's going to be a success or a flop.  After all, I remember being crushed when the Dreamcast flopped.  Shocked

JayMeezy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

Darkside points

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:34:44 AM »

Yeah, I though about the switch but I just don't see myself using it as a mobile device much. Zelda probably would be the only game that I played on it... so I'll just stick to my Xbox one until they drop the price on the switch enough to justify it. I'll definitely be getting the Scorpio on day one.

The Jedi seek to take away your humanity; the sith simply show you how to control it.

Sabers:
The Malice: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound, Red Illuminated Switch, large claws
The Chosen One SE: BR, FoC Silver, Obsidian v4 Sound
Dark Initiate LE v4(main hand. Built from empty hilt): VA, FoC Silver, NB v3 sound, VA illuminated 12mm Switch
Dark Initiate LE v3 (off hand): VA
Initiate v2: BR

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »

Well, if you have kids, it's great.  My two (aged 15 and 22) had to work out a schedule to share it, and it's good to be able to play something on a tv, then continue your progress on a car trip.

It's a pretty solid platform, though it really does depend on what you're looking at it for.  I know my kids have been playing a lot of Zelda, but my step-son is very, VERY picky about his gaming platforms, and he's tried a few of the other games and has no complaints.  I doubt he's tried Skyrim though since he usually plays that on his laptop.

So, for higher end games, probably not. If you have kids and want to keep them entertained with mid-range games, it's great.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »

I doubt he's tried Skyrim though since he usually plays that on his laptop.

Skyrim isn't out for the Switch yet, so he definitely hasn't played it.  In fact, we don't even have a release date for it, just sometime in 2017.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

Skyrim isn't out for the Switch yet, so he definitely hasn't played it.  In fact, we don't even have a release date for it, just sometime in 2017.

Skyrim was confirmed a while back as being released on the switch...when is the question though.  As I have a gaming PC I have no intention of getting a switch, even though I find it to be a good idea.  But always follow this guideline, never buy a console initial release.  Bugs, limited games etc. all make an initial release not really worth it.  I always waited a year or two for a new console and never regretted it.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »

But always follow this guideline, never buy a console initial release.  Bugs, limited games etc. all make an initial release not really worth it.  I always waited a year or two for a new console and never regretted it.

Amen to that.  Add to that list the possibility of it being a flop and quickly cancelled.  I like to let a console "mature" for couple years or three, and hope they got all of the bugs worked out, as well as waiting for more games.  It saves me from buying a lemon or ending up with a console for which I only have a couple games I like while I wait for more stuff to be released.

If I bought a Switch now, all I'd play on it would be the Zelda game.  That's a waste of money to me.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 150

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »

Here's a bit of info about the latest thing with the Switch.  Only been out a month and this is happening.  Be warned.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/04/03/nintendo-switch-console-warping-bending/

And yes, this is happening IN the dock without even playing it handheld.

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »

Apparently, Nintendo didn't test these very well.  There's also an issue with the Bluetooth in the left (and only the left) controller when it's separated from the "tablet."  Roll Eyes

LazBlackblade
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »

I have the Nintendo Switch and enjoy it quite a bit.  I use it mainly as a portable system to play games while on lunch.  Zelda was amazing.  MarioKart was fun.  I play Pokken Tournament with my daughter.  She recently learned of pokemon and enjoys fighting with them.  I just picked up Skyrim for the switch.  I have owned it before for Xbox 360 and PC.  Of course, PC is the best experience.  Better performance and better mod support.  But it is impressive playing Skyrim on a handheld.  I would say the graphics are definitely better than the 360 version, falling a little short of special edition.  Also, no mod support.  But it plays smoothly.  I have not had any issues so far.  Play on PC if you need the best graphics and mod support.  Otherwise the Switch is a viable option for Skyrim on the go.  The Switch is an impressive machine that should get better with time.  It is a lot of fun.

LazBlackblade

Sabers En Route:
Manticore - Diamond RGBW - AB - AS FOC - GB Pulse; Random Hilt w/Sound (2nd Place, Autumn Raffle 2017)

My Armory:
Dark Apprentice v4 - FO (MB); Dark Initiate v4 - CG (MB); Sentinel v4 - GB (MB)

Gifted Sabers:
Apprentice LE v4 - Obsidian v4 - SRD - AS FOC (Daughter); Dark Initiate v4 - Obsidian v4 - VA - AS FOC (Wife)

[Light Side mostly, Dark Side occasionally]

Jon Solo
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

I would like to be neutral in my points please.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »

I love my switch. I play it all the time when the missus is watching tv in the living room and I don't want to watch it

Avatar supplied by the great DarthScrub

Current Sabers:
Dark Sentinel v4 - Adegan Silver
Dominix LE V4 - Arctic Blue
Consular (the professor) - emerald driver with obsidian sound v4

Wishlist:
Consular (achieved)
Guardian
Lost Gray
Fulcrum
Crimson Reaper

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »

I realize this is a few months old but wanted to chime in. Love the switch. Zelda is amazing and I would buy the switch just to play it any day. Mario kart is fun as always. Mario odyssey is fun and my son loves it plus he loves Zelda. I am glad their aren’t a ton of games yet as I don’t have the budget to buy them all anyway haha. It’s turned out great when the wife had to take out kid to work. At the super bowl party the fiend hosting just got one. He had three TVs set up and before the game and during the half time show we were playing four player games of Mario kart on two TVs with two switches. It was great.

Then again this is an opinion from a console gamer. I haven’t played games on PC since PS2. Never had the budget to keep upgrading or buying mewer PCs to play games.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »

Bought it for my son, he loves it since it fits in his hands and the small remotes are detachable so it fits nicely in his 5 year old hands.  I like that it's portable and the graphics are amazing along with the screen.  Most games are geared towards Nintendo audiences so more so for kids but we bought another set of remotes so we can play 4 player Mario Kart. 

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »

I like the idea but it seems like basically an upgraded Wii-U

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »

I like the idea but it seems like basically an upgraded Wii-U

We have both and it’s actially a lot better than the WiiU but it’s geared more towards the younger generation and kids. With that said, there are games made for all ages

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: