Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Apprentice LE V4 and Dark Sentinel Review!  (Read 2369 times)
Anakin Sandhater
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

It's all Obi-Wan's fault!

« on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Hi all, received my first order from US a couple weeks ago (didn't have time to post a review till now!)

This is just a simple review of my new sabers Smiley I would post a video review but I really don't have time to do that, sigh.

I ordered a Dark Apprentice LE V4 in Guardian Blue for myself, with a 24" initiate blade, and a Dark Sentinel in SRD for my brother, with the standard 36" blade.

(The batteries were taken out of the Dark Sentinel and I was too lazy to put them back in, lol. Will update the photo with both colours when I have the time)

We were super excited when we received the package -- we got them within one week, which is frankly amazing because we literally live on the other side of the world. The shipping and exchange rate killed my wallet, but that's not Ultrasabers' fault. It might be a while before I can make another purchase though :')

First impressions: We love them. I mean, lightsabers are LIGHTSABERS right?! We immediately started swinging them around and hitting each other. It was awesome.

Now after we've had more time to get to know these sabers, I have a better idea of what I like and what I don't like.

HILT DESIGN:
Nothing much to say here -- aesthetically, the hilt designs are a bit too simple for my taste, but we bought these sabers with the intention to use them for duelling and tricks, so the simple cylindrical hilts are practical and works fine for us. I like the silver bits which is why I got the LE; makes it cooler. We also both got emitter windows because we couldn't resist them -- no regrets. Windows are awesome.

SIZE/LENGTH:
I'm really short (5'1") so after much deliberation and forum surfing I went for the Apprentice hilt with the Initiate blade.
I love the hilt length, about 10 inches I believe? It works fine for me and I can comfortably wield it with a single hand and spin it about. The only saber I owned before getting these actual combat sabers was the Anakin-Vader colour changing toy saber from Hasbro, and the hilt was also about 10 inches with a blade length of 24" from the emitter to the tip. I was very comfortable with that size and length and it looked nice and proportionate to my height.
Now, I forgot to take into account the length of the blade that would be sitting inside the emitter, so my 24" Initiate blade feels too small, even for a tiny person like me. My entire saber is shorter than my brother's standard blade Tongue It would be a nice offhand saber. Will probably get the 32" in the future.

My brother is about 6" tall, so he got the standard size 36" blade with his Sentinel. He just liked the look of the longer hilt, so no specific reason for that. It looks fine when he wields it and he can spin it about. After messing around with his saber I realised I could also spin it comfortably as long as I'm careful to lift my arm up more so it doesn't whack the floor, so I think i definitely should've gotten the 32" instead.

BLADE COLOUR:
I got the Guardian Blue because it's the classic Jedi Knight colour. I was thinking of SRD but since my brother decided to get that, I figured I can always just borrow his hilt and switch to a shorter blade if I was in the mood for it. I have no issues with my colour! Our blades are Ultraedge, so it shows up nicely in pictures. I tried to capture its actual colour in the photo above; it's pretty close, but brighter IRL. Nice bright sky blue.
My brother's SRD blade is actually more greenish than blue. From what I've read in the forums some get a more bluish SRD; what we got was a soft minty green, which is actually really nice, so no complaints except that we were expecting more of a turquoise colour.
I'm really liking Dark Violet Amethyst at the moment and I will probably get that in the future! I'll also likely get a red saber in the future. I would have gotten that instead of Guardian Blue if I could commit myself to the dark side, but I'm a softie lightsider on the inside heh.

SOUND:
We both got Obsidian Lite because we are young and broke. We have no issues with the sound, it's really nice and loud, but we aren't sure what the weird noises are supposed to be, the one you get when you press the switch a second time.

OTHER COMMENTS:
As some other saber owners have mentioned before, the batteries tend to come loose or fall out if you whack the saber too hard. After a few enthusiastic hits my sound came off abruptly because the batteries came loose -- nothing that can't be fixed by stuffing bubble wrap in or using a tighter velcro fastener, but it would be nice for it to be a non-issue in the first place.
On durability: we haven't had the chance to duel properly and regularly, so I can't vouch for the durability of the blades just yet! But our whacking so far has only produced small wrinkles in the film, which is quite normal I believe, and they can't really be seen when the saber is ignited anyway.
On customer service: My order didn't actually show up in my account after I checked out and paid, so I emailed customer service because I just blew half my sad little savings account on these two sabers and used PayPal for the first time so I was kinda paranoid. It took a couple days to get a reply from customer service but they fixed it real quick and assured my my order and payment was received so kudos to the Ultrasabers team for that!
My currency depreciated against the US dollar after the, uh, recent US Presidential Elections, so it was a rather large sum for me to fork out for these two sabers especially since I had to pay an additional US$30+ in shipping. Do I feel that I got my money's worth? Honestly, not 100%, but considering that Ultrasabers is already the cheapest in the market, I'm definitely not disappointed with what I got.

Now my dad is going to sponsor my next saber as a birthday present, so I'm eyeing the Dark War Glaive or the Graflex... Decisions!!!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »

Nice review, and great choice in the sabers. I too have the Dark Apprentice LE v4, and it is amazing. I love how light and easy to wield it is. I have it in Fire Orange, and I don't know what Guardian Blue looks like IRL, but still, I love the hilt. I did recently get a Sun Riders Destiny saber from a friend, and it is more of the mint green as well. While I really wanted it to have more of a blue color to it, I am actually really starting to like it. As for the blades, did you get Mid-Grade of Heavy-Grade blades? You may have said in the review, bit I missed it if you did. If they are MG blades, they will hold up pretty well in a duel. I haven't gotten to use mine that much while fighting, but it is still quite sturdy. I do have a 32" blade, and it works perfectly for that hilt. The balance with it is amazing, and just really fits the saber. Honestly, at first I felt the same way about the money, but now having had experience with US's customer service, and needing them to repair my saber twice, I am very happy with what I have seen from them. They are no doubt top notch sabersmiths, and I will only do business with them.

While the Graflex is such an iconic hilt, I still prefer the War Glaive over it. So that's what I'd go with. But whatever you get, you will be happy.

Point to you for the great review.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »

Very nice review! I'm 5'4 and I have an Aeon v4 (same length as the Sentinel, I believe) and I can tell you that the more you swing it around, the more you'll get used to and love the length of it! I think the blade length is what makes the difference.

The Sentinel was the first saber I've always wanted to get, but it's now being pushed farther down my list after taking multiple looks at other sabers. I still plan to get them eventually.

I agree with you regarding the design being too cylindrical. But then I realize that these sabers were made for dueling in mind, after all, so it's all good. Anyway, point to you!

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Great review! Have a point! ^_^ I know what you mean when you say you think you don't get 100% worth the money that you paid, I have the same issue living in Spain, having to pay so much for postage and then extra import taxes just to be able to receive the package itself =( However, it's something that is just out of US' control, so I cannot complain =)
The apprentice V4 is an excellent dueling saber, especially with a 24" blade as a quick close-combat saber! You will definitely want a 32" blade for a full saber though Tongue I had the same issue, since I'm also quite short (5,5"/5,6") thought 36" and 32" would be a bit too long for me, got an extra 24", but it turned out that even the 36" was fine (though the 32" was definitely more comfortable).
Now, recommendations for the next order:
You might want to consider getting a heavy grade blade for full-contact dueling, they are heavier than normal ones, but they stand up to a lot of punishment without a problem (especially ultra edge blades, they mask scuffs and marks perfectly Tongue). If you're looking for a saber that looks authentic and aesthetically pleasing that still doesn't break the bank, might I recommend a Prophecy/Dark Prophecy V3? It's an awesome saber, light, comfortable, and very cool design-wise. The graflex and warglaive are also very cool, but the graflex might be a bit too thick for extremely comfortable dueling (as well as being on the expensive side =S) and the warglaive, despite being surprisingly comfortable, is a bit too long and heavy. Something that I might have to add about the warglaive is that it doesn't look very good with a blade shorter than 36" since the hilt itself looks so long in comparison.

Sound wise, the sound you get when you press the button a second time is the noise that would sound when

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »

Great review, and congrats on your first US!

I have the silver Apprentice LE V4 in guardian blue and absolutely love it. Mine was a grab bag and I feel like even if I paid the normal price for it I'd still feel like I underpaid even after currency conversion  Grin

Sound wise, the sound you get when you press the button a second time is the noise that would sound when

Would sound when what? Would sound when WHAT?!?!?

The suspense is killing me! Why did you do a to be continued?  Tongue Grin Cheesy

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »

Great review, and congrats on your first US!

I have the silver Apprentice LE V4 in guardian blue and absolutely love it. Mine was a grab bag and I feel like even if I paid the normal price for it I'd still feel like I underpaid even after currency conversion  Grin

Would sound when what? Would sound when WHAT?!?!?

The suspense is killing me! Why did you do a to be continued?  Tongue Grin Cheesy

Hahahaha XD My post got cut off and I didn't realize XD
The sound when you lock sabers with someone in a constant struggle to overpower your opponent.
I was also gonna say that you can solve the issue of the batteries coming off by tightly wrapping velcro or even electrical around the batteries, but I'd recommend getting Obsidian V4 next time just because of the fun of being abel to choose various different fonts :p

That was hilarious, thanks for pointing that out, Isola, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise XD

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Anakin Sandhater
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

It's all Obi-Wan's fault!

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 04:18:11 AM »

As for the blades, did you get Mid-Grade of Heavy-Grade blades? You may have said in the review, bit I missed it if you did. If they are MG blades, they will hold up pretty well in a duel.
You might want to consider getting a heavy grade blade for full-contact dueling, they are heavier than normal ones, but they stand up to a lot of punishment without a problem (especially ultra edge blades, they mask scuffs and marks perfectly Tongue).

Yeah I did forget to mention! I got midgrades because my local duelling club recommended the midgrade if buying from Ultrasabers. I haven't actually joined them yet because of other commitments but I do plan to eventually! I was also worried about the extra weight of the heavy grade making the saber harder to spin. In the meantime, since the only person I'll actually be 'duelling' with is my brother, I figured getting both midgrades would be okay. Maybe I'll invest in a heavy grade in the future when I'm duelling more often.

If you're looking for a saber that looks authentic and aesthetically pleasing that still doesn't break the bank, might I recommend a Prophecy/Dark Prophecy V3? It's an awesome saber, light, comfortable, and very cool design-wise. The graflex and warglaive are also very cool, but the graflex might be a bit too thick for extremely comfortable dueling (as well as being on the expensive side =S) and the warglaive, despite being surprisingly comfortable, is a bit too long and heavy. Something that I might have to add about the warglaive is that it doesn't look very good with a blade shorter than 36" since the hilt itself looks so long in comparison.

You may be able to infer from my username why the Graflex (and the Chosen One) appeals to me Grin but I do agree about it being bulky. I tried to learn how to spin with my Hasbro toy saber that has a Vader hilt; I had bruises on my hands for the next couple days.
I actually wanted the Prophecy as my first saber; as you said, it's the perfect blend of cool and practical, but $$$ was an issue :')
I was worried about the length of the War Glaive, so thanks for mentioning that! I want a saber that'll look good hanging off a Jedi belt, but considering that I'm super short, anything longer than 12 inches is going to look weird. 10 inches like my Apprentice would be perfect, but the majority of US sabers seem to be around 11-12 I believe?
Argh so many choices. The Lost Gray looks really good too, as do the Raven and the Guardian. One day I'd love to own a Reaper staff. I wish I had unlimited money Cry

Hahahaha XD My post got cut off and I didn't realize XD
The sound when you lock sabers with someone in a constant struggle to overpower your opponent.
I was also gonna say that you can solve the issue of the batteries coming off by tightly wrapping velcro or even electrical around the batteries, but I'd recommend getting Obsidian V4 next time just because of the fun of being abel to choose various different fonts :p

Ahh thanks for that! I was literally so confused trying to figure out what it was, I almost thought the sound wasn't working when I first switched it on! I'd never come across it before when watching video reviews. That being said I never actually finish watching reviews 80% of the time because I'm kinda impatient.

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations! Smiley

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »

Yeah I did forget to mention! I got midgrades because my local duelling club recommended the midgrade if buying from Ultrasabers. I haven't actually joined them yet because of other commitments but I do plan to eventually! I was also worried about the extra weight of the heavy grade making the saber harder to spin. In the meantime, since the only person I'll actually be 'duelling' with is my brother, I figured getting both midgrades would be okay. Maybe I'll invest in a heavy grade in the future when I'm duelling more often.

You may be able to infer from my username why the Graflex (and the Chosen One) appeals to me Grin but I do agree about it being bulky. I tried to learn how to spin with my Hasbro toy saber that has a Vader hilt; I had bruises on my hands for the next couple days.
I actually wanted the Prophecy as my first saber; as you said, it's the perfect blend of cool and practical, but $$$ was an issue :')
I was worried about the length of the War Glaive, so thanks for mentioning that! I want a saber that'll look good hanging off a Jedi belt, but considering that I'm super short, anything longer than 12 inches is going to look weird. 10 inches like my Apprentice would be perfect, but the majority of US sabers seem to be around 11-12 I believe?
Argh so many choices. The Lost Gray looks really good too, as do the Raven and the Guardian. One day I'd love to own a Reaper staff. I wish I had unlimited money Cry

Ahh thanks for that! I was literally so confused trying to figure out what it was, I almost thought the sound wasn't working when I first switched it on! I'd never come across it before when watching video reviews. That being said I never actually finish watching reviews 80% of the time because I'm kinda impatient.

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations! Smiley

You're more than welcome! And yep, US sabers tend to be on the long/big side, which is a good thing for dueling, more room for your hands, but maybe a bit too long hanging from the belt. See, the Raven, Reaper and Guardian are also quite huge hilts, especially the Guardian and the Reaper xD. The lost gray is slightly thick, but not too long, so that would probably be fine! And although the Chosen One and the Graflex are a bit thick, they're not too long either, so they'de definitely look good on a belt (yes, I did figure why they'd br of interest of you judginh by you username :p). You could always mod/paint a prophecy to look a mini vader hilt or an Anakin Attack of the Clones hilt! Mine's like Anakin's in AotC, which might be of interest to you since it was on that movie that he manifested his hate for sand xD

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: