Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where to go after Shii-Cho?  (Read 2244 times)
Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« on: March 10, 2017, 01:34:10 AM »

So I fixed my blade after the blade screw broke  Angry I got it fixed it and have been practicing Kendo as well as Shi-Cho for a few weeks(I always practice Kendo even before getting my LS) intensely usually for an hour or two a day when able and felt I have a decent grasp of the style although I tend to mix Kendo with Shi-Cho when i feel it's more viable. Now I am having a hard time deciding what form to study next. I had thought about studying all seven forms then picking one but the reality is that am not a Jedi and I don't get 10-15 years to train and go on crazy missions with a master so I'd fidgured I'd ask some people on here for advice.

I did try to begin Makashi but it felt almost completely wrong to me :/

In general, I tend to handle my blade in a Sha No Kamae position/ in a low/side stance similarly to how Great Sword/Claymore could be wield and often go in offensively with strong upper slashes, going with the momentum or going with the flow and using it against my opponent before pulling back into a Jodan No Kamae position/ ready stance where you hold the blade just over your head or the Jedi Guard position( holding the blade close to you) ready to either go on the defensive or the offensive with Shi-Cho like slashes.

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »

I would say refine the techniques of shii cho more. And then from there study the mentalities of 2,3,4 bit by bit. One day 2 next day 3 and so on. Learn a bit of each in increments. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »

You never really go away from Shii Cho. You learn it, then you work it, then you understand it, then you go on to something else, and when you understand that, you keep going back to it to refine your understanding of it and so on and so forth.

My love letter to the First Form aside, What version of Shii Cho are you using?

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:09 PM »

I do like Shi-Cho since it's similar to Kendo although I haven't been in a kendo class for awhile now lol

I primary use Shii-Cho Dulon with an emphasis on a Shi-Cho front stance and going on the offensive with heavy upper slashes before going back into a upper ready stance or the Jedi Guard Position to go on the defensive if need be or go in with precise Sai and Cho overhead slashes, I can't remember all the names of the exact moves so yeah lol

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:54:49 AM »

I believe Master Uilos's question was more along the lines of are you using the Bendu version of Form I, TPLA version of Form I, Ludosport version of Form I, or some other version that I haven't mentioned?

Note that there isn't a "right" answer to this question, other than to help you with what members may know of the specific version that you're using.  All of the forms are fictional, not even created for any of the movies, but afterwards. And their real life counterparts vary depending on the version, and even who's practicing it.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading this: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2131.0 and pretty much all of the posts in this: https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/

And keep in mind that all of that is only one viewpoint, one interpretation.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.  After Form I, you go on to Form II.  Now, I completely understand it feeling weird coming from a Kendo background, but look at it this way: learn it, not necessarily to use it, but to at least recognize it when your opponent uses it, and know how to counter it. Learning it will help you learn its strengths and weaknesses, and how to act in response.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 05:54:56 AM »

I believe Master Uilos's question was more along the lines of are you using the Bendu version of Form I, TPLA version of Form I, Ludosport version of Form I, or some other version that I haven't mentioned?

Bingo.

Also, I find Makashi and Kendo have a lot in common since they both rely on relating to your opponent in a duel.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

sorry I havn't gotten back to you guys until now.

I use something very similar to TPLA's version of Shii-Cho

I am studying Makashi, I just don't like it's fencing style I guess although I do use it's footwork before knowing it was Makashi footwork lol

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:48:26 AM »

Uilos and I are both members of TPLA, but we are extremely open to other versions of the Forms.  Therefore, when we ask what version you're using, we just want to get a sense of what kind of template you're working with.  If you're moving into TPLA stuff, we can absolutely help you out in your progression.  In TPLA, once you get cleared on Shii-Cho, you move into the other three main Pillars, which are Forms II-IV.  If you're working in a different system, the appropriate answer will be different.

If you're interested in using the TPLA method, I recommend you join our groups on Facebook, and join our Forum as well.  From there, you can submit your video of Shii-Cho, and progress through the system.  If not, that's cool too!  Canonically, there's no rigid direction after Shii-Cho to travel in, different Jedi and Sith would focus on different Forms as they saw fit.

Feel free to toss more questions and ideas out there, and we'll work with you.

Darth Nilus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »

not really sure how to explain any better lol

I've been practicing TPLA's version of Shii-Cho since I got my lightsaber awhile back. If you want more specific, not sure what to tell you, I've been reading on the forums and been rewatching TPLA's video's on Shii-Cho many times for awhile before practicing. I might be confusing you guys since even though I've been practicing TPLA's version of Shii-Cho almost exactly to the letter, Since am from a kendo background I have thrown in stance's and moves I used in Kendo in my training of Shii-Cho when I feel it works best so that may be a conflict of interest? unfortunately  I don't remember the exact names.

I don't want to repeat myself because am sure you guys are getting annoyed with me by now XD

I usually use the Waki Gamae Stance or side stance to most people ;p , used for two hands, where you hide the length of the blade behind your body and your hands, only showing the pommel to the enemy to confuse them which isn't the most effective but it also conceals how your going to have your sword movement which you can easily adapt to your opponent's movements while he tries to figure out yours. This often allows me to perform strong upper vertical and horizontal slashes that can take down an opponent in one blow if the opponent isn't careful, I've actually won a decent amount of spars with Waki Gamae despite being considered obsolete. Even if you fail, you can use it to perform overhead attacks thanks to the momentum or cut back without turning your blade. Following that I often switch to TPLA Shii-Cho using the momentum I gained to go into an overhead stance or a Jedi Guard stance depending on the situation which usually follows TPLA Shii-Cho strikes and parries unless I see an opening to perform Waki Gamae like strikes.

Waki-gamae

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: