Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED lights when recharging batteries  (Read 1123 times)
Affable_Knight
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

« on: March 12, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »

Hello Saber Techies,

I have just installed a switch craft, in-hilt recharge port for a V3 soundboard.  (The battery + and - were split, with each having a short wire (+ and -) coming to an end, attached to nothing, and each having a second wire connecting to the Obsidian sound board.  My assumption was these two short wires were to accommodate an in-hilt recharge port.)  I connected the recharge + to the battery + and the recharge - to the battery -, the short wires.

I turn on the light saber and all works well.  I plug the charger into this new recharge port and the LED lights up and stays lit as long as the charger is plugged in to the outlet.

The saber has a tri-green LED, buckpuck, non-illuminated AV switch and the Obsidian V3 soundboard.  (It is my intention to replace the LED with a GGW for FOC.  So, I have soldered a wire to the FOC connector pin on the Obsidian.  But this wire is not yet connected to the LED.)

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what I should do to fix this?

Thanks.

Krilleth Luxio
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »

It sounds as though you're, quite unintentionally, completing the circuit by doing so. Long story short, by having it to the battery + to the charge + and the - to the -, you're creating a full circuit around the entire saber, which is powering the LED on. I'm not an expert on how electronics work, so I won't claim to be. Somehow, you'll have to wire it in such a way that you don't complete the circuit unintentionally. You might have to create a bypass to prevent this. As to how to do so, my only suggestion would be to set up something that prevents the circuit to the LED (maybe like a quick disconnect), or some kind of external switch that you can toggle on/off to prevent the circuit from completing. It would have to be on the negative wire from the LED to work

Affable_Knight
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »

Thank you for the feedback.  I think I'm going to start the project over again.  This time, I'm not going to make the assumption that I know where those two shorter wires go.  I actually like the in-hilt recharge ports where a kill key stops the circuit.  So, I'll give it another go.

Affable_Knight
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

Ah, yes.  So, I once again show myself why assumptions can be a bad idea.  It would appear that I had originally connected my re-charge port to (perhaps) the wires destined to go to the switch's LED (of which I have a non-illuminated AV switch).

I have re-wired the re-charge port, connecting as would normally be expected to both the battery and the soundboard and all is working perfectly!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: