Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3079 3080 [3081] 3082 3083 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4898967 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #46200 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »

Actually I liked that. If you look at the OT it was all but outright said that him staying was out of character. This was basically the first time he didn't run, and had spent most of his time before that running(albeit out of a desire for self preservation), usually from Jabba and his bounty hunters, imperials, and some others he wronged in the past.

He technically ran in A New Hope, then changed his mind and came back. He was trying to run again at the beginning of Empire, because he happened to run into a bounty hunter. I still strongly suspect he was never going back to the Rebellion at any point in that movie, despite the fact that he had Leia. I think he was running, never planned on Leia being with them, but was just going to bring her along cause they were falling for each other. He was foiled by both Vader and Fett, or he'd have been gone.

At the beginning of Jedi, he was in ZERO condition to make a run for it, and needed medical attention anyway. Now he's back at the Rebellion, more out of necessity than actual desire, and I strongly suspect that his "volunteering" to lead the Endor strike team was at least a bit coerced. Possibly by Leia, her surprised look being more "oh wow that actually worked and I convinced you" than genuine surprise at the idea of him volunteering. Even if he was doing it without being coerced, that look says a lot. It basically means "this is NOT the Han I know," which is the surprise on Lando's part.

I suspect he stuck around primarily to be with the woman he loved after that, then later their son. After Ben went Kylo, driving a wedge between he and his family, he no longer had either of those. Luke was off moping the Force only knew where, meaning the only other thing that maybe had potential to keep him around, his best remaining friend besides Chewy, was gone. Han had little reason to stay, and returned to what he does best, running.

Though I do agree, I he probably could have been slightly less emo about it, it was also somewhat justified, considering what he went through.

Good stuff ThreadJack, that actually reminds me of one of the stories in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book where Han just up and leaves Coruscant and Leia because he just needs to leave for reasons only he knows. I think the overall theme with Han leans toward a man who was running and eventually finds his place, but only in the OT. The new trilogy kind of dumps that theme and like you said, he's back to his old tricks. I have a sneaky suspicion Lucas wanted Han to end up truly belonging somewhere though without having to run. Then JJ Abrams came along and... whoops no happy ending for you, Han.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #46201 on: April 19, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »

Actually I liked that. If you look at the OT it was all but outright said that him staying was out of character. This was basically the first time he didn't run, and had spent most of his time before that running(albeit out of a desire for self preservation), usually from Jabba and his bounty hunters, imperials, and some others he wronged in the past.

He technically ran in A New Hope, then changed his mind and came back. He was trying to run again at the beginning of Empire, because he happened to run into a bounty hunter. I still strongly suspect he was never going back to the Rebellion at any point in that movie, despite the fact that he had Leia. I think he was running, never planned on Leia being with them, but was just going to bring her along cause they were falling for each other. He was foiled by both Vader and Fett, or he'd have been gone.

At the beginning of Jedi, he was in ZERO condition to make a run for it, and needed medical attention anyway. Now he's back at the Rebellion, more out of necessity than actual desire, and I strongly suspect that his "volunteering" to lead the Endor strike team was at least a bit coerced. Possibly by Leia, her surprised look being more "oh wow that actually worked and I convinced you" than genuine surprise at the idea of him volunteering. Even if he was doing it without being coerced, that look says a lot. It basically means "this is NOT the Han I know," which is the surprise on Lando's part.

I suspect he stuck around primarily to be with the woman he loved after that, then later their son. After Ben went Kylo, driving a wedge between he and his family, he no longer had either of those. Luke was off moping the Force only knew where, meaning the only other thing that maybe had potential to keep him around, his best remaining friend besides Chewy, was gone. Han had little reason to stay, and returned to what he does best, running.

Though I do agree, I he probably could have been slightly less emo about it, it was also somewhat justified, considering what he went through.
You left out that his primary (if only) reason for running away was thoroughly "handled" at the beginning of ROTJ. Undecided But I am with you in the suspicion that he kept hanging around because of Leia. But then it would also stand to reason that wherever Leia was, Han would be also. Ergo, Ben joins the evil emo boy band and Leia stands against and Han would be at her side.

Not so much of a surprise, but with the whole "Is Rey a Mary Sue?" debate that raged back when 7 hit theatres (and certainly continues on to this day) it was unusual for me at least to find hard evidence beyond endless fan opinions that Rey "breaks the mythos" as it were. And even still, that the proof would come from a Canon source released around the same time as Episode 7. Somewhat satisfying though, I'm no lover of the new trilogy...
Rey IS a Mary Sue. I think what everyone is getting butt-hurt over is that they think this fact is due to some short coming in Daisy's performance. Not so. The script has Rey as a Mary-Sue, and she played the role as a Mary-Sue, because she was also directed to play the role as a Mary-Sue. Bing bang boom. The character is another shellty OP hero/heroine.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #46202 on: April 19, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »

Good stuff ThreadJack, that actually reminds me of one of the stories in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book where Han just up and leaves Coruscant and Leia because he just needs to leave for reasons only he knows. I think the overall theme with Han leans toward a man who was running and eventually finds his place, but only in the OT. The new trilogy kind of dumps that theme and like you said, he's back to his old tricks. I have a sneaky suspicion Lucas wanted Han to end up truly belonging somewhere though without having to run. Then JJ Abrams came along and... whoops no happy ending for you, Han.

It's also not entirely out of character for people like that to always be fighting against staying in their place, even after they find it. But yeah, I suspect you're right on the JJ vs Lucas front. My point was, what we saw in TFA wasn't anywhere near out of character for Han Solo.

You left out that his primary (if only) reason for running away was thoroughly "handled" at the beginning of ROTJ. Undecided But I am with you in the suspicion that he kept hanging around because of Leia. But then it would also stand to reason that wherever Leia was, Han would be also. Ergo, Ben joins the evil emo boy band and Leia stands against and Han would be at her side.
Rey IS a Mary Sue. I think what everyone is getting butt-hurt over is that they think this fact is due to some short coming in Daisy's performance. Not so. The script has Rey as a Mary-Sue, and she played the role as a Mary-Sue, because she was also directed to play the role as a Mary-Sue. Bing bang boom. The character is another shellty OP hero/heroine.

Yes that is true. Perhaps adding to reasons he stuck around, but I don't think he was planning on that being permanent. He was running for how long? Many years, thereby he got accustomed to it. Humans are creatures of habit and tend to do what they are accustomed to. He'll run from somebody because that's his nature.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Asuan
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

Gray Jedi

« Reply #46203 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »

Random thought of the day... why is it when people ask how I feel about the new movies, I tell them I dont want to start anything and they tell me they wont get mad... so I share and they get mad?  Why... why....  oh hey lightsaber...

Sage Master and Form 1 Instructor
Affiliated with: Kyber Odyssey Saber Academy
Jedi Council of Florida( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969827806616014/ )
Dark Apprentice V4 VA
Scorpion FO
Dark Initiate V2 SRD
Dark Initiate V2 AB
Dark Sentinel v4 R

----Wish List---
2x Yari Pike W/ Couplers (Black/Silver) {Saving $ to buy. 28/94}
Dark Sentinel v4 Staff in Violet Amethyst {Saving $ to buy for Yule}

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #46204 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »

Ben joins the evil emo boy band

LOL, -1 point.

Random thought of the day... why is it when people ask how I feel about the new movies, I tell them I dont want to start anything and they tell me they wont get mad... so I share and they get mad?  Why... why....  oh hey lightsaber...

It's a heated topic, and I think the dynamics are such that a novel could be written on what is essentially, in my opinion, the great divide between Star Wars and the new trilogy. People have always argued over fandoms though, if you love something you're more than likely to have strong opinions on it, opinions that need to be defended, argued for, fought over. You get the gist.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #46205 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »

Because they want to appear PC and progressive and accepting, but deep down they are merely hoping that you think exactly like they do and get offended when your opinion differs. Roll Eyes

Don't worry, you can sit next to me. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #46206 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:10 PM »

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #46207 on: April 19, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »

I defended Rey against the "Mary Sue" tag until TLJ came out.  I hoped the things that made her to appear a Mary Sue would be answered in TLJ..of course we see how that went.   As far as the New Canon goes...Unless it is the Vader Comics, Rebels or the Thrawn novels...it pretty much isn't any good.  Any one find it interesting they have not announced anything else...  By this point I would figure at least the next Anthology film would be revealed.  Oh, and the Luke Level in BF II is pretty good.  Shows the Luke we all wanted to see. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Asuan
Knight Sergeant

Gray Jedi

« Reply #46208 on: April 19, 2018, 11:35:31 PM »

Because they want to appear PC and progressive and accepting, but deep down they are merely hoping that you think exactly like they do and get offended when your opinion differs. Roll Eyes

Don't worry, you can sit next to me. Grin

I think it's that exactly it.  *Sits next to Darth Logos*  it really is infuriating.

Dark Apprentice V4 VA
Scorpion FO
Dark Initiate V2 SRD
Dark Initiate V2 AB
Dark Sentinel v4 R

----Wish List---

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #46209 on: April 19, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »

Did I enjoy the movies?  Yes.  Am I impressed or even happy with them as Star Wars movies?  No.  Is the character of Rey an OP AF Mary Sue?  Yes. But as Logos said, through no fault of Daisy's.  It's like some frelling moron put Jar Jar Twinks in charge.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #46210 on: April 20, 2018, 12:09:09 AM »

It's the same reason why when people use the phrase "No offense," you'd better be prepared to be pretty kriffing offended.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Asuan
Knight Sergeant

Gray Jedi

« Reply #46211 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:26 AM »

Jar Jar Twinks

Jebus.. I choked on my water.

Dark Apprentice V4 VA
Scorpion FO
Dark Initiate V2 SRD
Dark Initiate V2 AB
Dark Sentinel v4 R

----Wish List---

Asuan
Knight Sergeant

Gray Jedi

« Reply #46212 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:43 AM »

It's the same reason why when people use the phrase "No offense," you'd better be prepared to be pretty kriffing offended.

I dont mind peoples opinions I dont expect every one to agree with me on the way I feel about Star Wars after Disney.  What I do expect is for people to act like adults and understand that opinions are.. well you know the saying about every one having one, and that  if you want me to respect yours then you need to respect mine.

Dark Apprentice V4 VA
Scorpion FO
Dark Initiate V2 SRD
Dark Initiate V2 AB
Dark Sentinel v4 R

----Wish List---

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #46213 on: April 20, 2018, 01:00:29 AM »

*Hopes no one throws shade at her because she likes the new movies and Rey as a character*

I get a lot of crap for liking the movies. I sometimes get the feeling people are talking to me like I'm some idiot because I like them. I love Rey as a character. Is she perfect, no she has glaring flaws but I find more to like than not. Do I think certain things could have been done better? Absolutely. They aren't perfect but I like the new trilogy for what it is, and I will point out the things I don't like, and even admit that Rey is somewhat of a Mary Sue. However I never seem to get there, because people don't allow me to. They just tell me I'm not a real fan, or that I don't know what I'm talking about, or just call me names. (Not to be that girl, but I'm certain being a woman doesn't help.)

It's exhausting, so I don't talk about it except with a few people I know agree, or don't but aren't pricks about it.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #46214 on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »

Nearly a year ago, I attempted swapping the damaged blade on an Ultimate FX. After much work, I succeeded... in snapping the wires as I went to put it together. I left it in parts as I've considered whether or not I'm up to soldering it back together. I nearly fell to the dark side the first/last time I soldered. Today, I gave it another attempt. After successfully soldering the orange wire, I found the other end had snapped from the "try me" button without my even noticing. Having no knowledge of where it was attached previously hidden from view, I guessed at where it should go. I put the batteries in  place and fired it up. It worked. Slowly reassembling all the screws which I could not remember what size goes where, I finished with one...extra screw? Searching underneath the batteries, I found the matching hole. I now have a working, potentially duel worthy Darth Maul Ultimate FX with a white blade. Yes, it's just a toy, but it was a previously damaged collectible now improved.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Pages: 1 ... 3079 3080 [3081] 3082 3083 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: