Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3240 3241 [3242] 3243 3244 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4896113 times)
bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #48615 on: November 12, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »

The addiction is contagious...Good job  Grin
Point!

thanks. think I need to start making commission on these sales.  Cheesy

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #48616 on: November 12, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »

It is my understanding that Public Transportation is not really a thing in most parts of the States unlike Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).
On the other hand Switzerland probably has one of the (if not THE) most dense railway systems in the world. My city also has a very thick web of buses and subways. In fact you're almost never more than a few hundred feet from a bus/subway stop and rarely have to wait more than 5-10 min for the next tranport.
I love not needing a car to get around, especially since my city isn't that large so you can easily get from one place to the other by other (greener) means. The city is actally one of the greenest in Europe because of it's parks and other public gardens (350 hectare = about 865 acres) but also it's efforts for better use of resources and people here are proud of it  Wink

That is correct.  Larger Urban areas such as New York City or Chicago have public transportation (not sure on the reliability).  I have spoken to many people from Europe who are surprised to find out how spread out things are in the States.  When I was a child grocery shopping was a once every 2 weeks thing because we lived 50 miles from the nearest grocery store.  Having a personal vehicle is pretty much a necessity in the states.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #48617 on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:43 PM »

It is my understanding that Public Transportation is not really a thing in most parts of the States unlike Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).
On the other hand Switzerland probably has one of the (if not THE) most dense railway systems in the world. My city also has a very thick web of buses and subways. In fact you're almost never more than a few hundred feet from a bus/subway stop and rarely have to wait more than 5-10 min for the next tranport.
I love not needing a car to get around, especially since my city isn't that large so you can easily get from one place to the other by other (greener) means. The city is actally one of the greenest in Europe because of it's parks and other public gardens (350 hectare = about 865 acres) but also it's efforts for better use of resources and people here are proud of it  Wink

Places like California, Chicago, and New York has public transportation since they built the system along with the city for the most part.  California would be the only exception since they began to build the system into the city about 20 years ago.    In those places, its a thing, but places like Texas, it isn't.  A typical time frame to go to get groceries are about 20 to 30 minutes and that's just an average.  We live right by everything so the mall, grocery store, shopping centers, etc. are anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes away. 

The three states I mention are just like what you mentioned, there's always one really close by and they do get crowded.  As far as reliability is concerned, it's not as reliable as Europe or Japan where every second is accounted for. 

Now, with that said, the company that I work for is working for the states of Texas to build a high speed rail between Dallas and Houston which will take 90 minutes to and from both cities.  They have also hired the Japanese bullet train company since they want to use their train and technology to do so.

States are starting to realize the power of public transportation with the growing population, they should of done this a long time ago but better late than never.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #48618 on: November 12, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »

Thank you, sir.

ran into many loving the sabers at the big con. by chance, ran into the same kid I met last yr there and was proud to show off his US hilt and thanked me for pointing him in the direction.  Grin
yes, passed out more US cards this yr. ran into many con promoters making sure we're showing to their event...and pretty sure I met the promoter for the one in Logos' town lol
Little guy with glasses?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #48619 on: November 12, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »

That is correct.  Larger Urban areas such as New York City or Chicago have public transportation (not sure on the reliability).  I have spoken to many people from Europe who are surprised to find out how spread out things are in the States.  When I was a child grocery shopping was a once every 2 weeks thing because we lived 50 miles from the nearest grocery store.  Having a personal vehicle is pretty much a necessity in the states.

I understand the fact that it would be a necessity. I was not passing judgment on people at all. Of course the country is large and some places are not densely populated so I guess having a lot of public transportation wouldn't be practical to set up. I just feel some areas could be eligible for a lot of improvment in that field and may lack the political will and funding to do so.

Places like California, Chicago, and New York has public transportation since they built the system along with the city for the most part.  California would be the only exception since they began to build the system into the city about 20 years ago.    In those places, its a thing, but places like Texas, it isn't.  A typical time frame to go to get groceries are about 20 to 30 minutes and that's just an average.  We live right by everything so the mall, grocery store, shopping centers, etc. are anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes away. 

The three states I mention are just like what you mentioned, there's always one really close by and they do get crowded.  As far as reliability is concerned, it's not as reliable as Europe or Japan where every second is accounted for. 

Now, with that said, the company that I work for is working for the states of Texas to build a high speed rail between Dallas and Houston which will take 90 minutes to and from both cities.  They have also hired the Japanese bullet train company since they want to use their train and technology to do so.

States are starting to realize the power of public transportation with the growing population, they should of done this a long time ago but better late than never.

Improving public tranportation system between major cities would be a big step in the right direction in my opinion. Even if people still need a car to get out of the cities, having the possibility of not using it as much in the major cities or to get from one to the other would be nice.

I remember often hearing people complain about some bad drivers and lots of traffic and such as soon as they got to work while I had been drinking my coffee, reading newspapers or books, listening to music and watching the landscape. It usually felt like I was a lot less tense when I got to work then these driving co-workers  Wink

It's good that some people are starting to realize the power of public transportation. Late is always better than never  Cheesy
You are quite right asking for help from people who have the knowledge and experience. Switzerland is now a major railway country but in the mid-1800s it was actually quite late compared to other european nations. We decided to invest heavily into it and asked help from the British (who were far more advanced in the field). Now they come asking when they need help for projects, especially if it involves tunnels  Wink

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #48620 on: November 12, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »

Improving public tranportation system between major cities would be a big step in the right direction in my opinion. Even if people still need a car to get out of the cities, having the possibility of not using it as much in the major cities or to get from one to the other would be nice.

I remember often hearing people complain about some bad drivers and lots of traffic and such as soon as they got to work while I had been drinking my coffee, reading newspapers or books, listening to music and watching the landscape. It usually felt like I was a lot less tense when I got to work then these driving co-workers  Wink

It's good that some people are starting to realize the power of public transportation. Late is always better than never  Cheesy
You are quite right asking for help from people who have the knowledge and experience. Switzerland is now a major railway country but in the mid-1800s it was actually quite late compared to other european nations. We decided to invest heavily into it and asked help from the British (who were far more advanced in the field). Now they come asking when they need help for projects, especially if it involves tunnels  Wink

I completely agree with you, Crue.  I still have co-workers that complain about the bad drivers just about every day. Heck, I run into them or better yet, they fly by me on the way to work and on the way home just about each day.  Dallas has a train system that I can take, I just have to park my car in the morning at the station but it would take me about an hour to get to work and I get in early which I don't think the train runs around that time.

The high speed train that's being built from Dallas and Houston is just a starting point from what I hear.  Once it's done and successful, they plan to build more within Texas and then venture out and build them so that people can take the train between states and from coast to coast but that's far into the future.

Switzerland is smart, they realized that they were behind and wanted to get part of the action so to speak. Now, they're the go to from the very people that helped them early on.  It's one thing to start something and another to improve upon it.

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

« Reply #48621 on: November 12, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »

I completely agree with you, Crue.  I still have co-workers that complain about the bad drivers just about every day. Heck, I run into them or better yet, they fly by me on the way to work and on the way home just about each day.  Dallas has a train system that I can take, I just have to park my car in the morning at the station but it would take me about an hour to get to work and I get in early which I don't think the train runs around that time.

The high speed train that's being built from Dallas and Houston is just a starting point from what I hear.  Once it's done and successful, they plan to build more within Texas and then venture out and build them so that people can take the train between states and from coast to coast but that's far into the future.

Switzerland is smart, they realized that they were behind and wanted to get part of the action so to speak. Now, they're the go to from the very people that helped them early on.  It's one thing to start something and another to improve upon it.

Projects are good. Still, one has to keep in mind: "Always in motion the future is"   Wink

We learned from the best and developped the skills in our own way according to what WE needed. It's what we do (or should do) most of the time.
"We are what they grow beyond" (Man, I'm really feeling Yoda-ish today  Grin )

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #48622 on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »

Projects are good. Still, one has to keep in mind: "Always in motion the future is"   Wink

We learned from the best and developped the skills in our own way according to what WE needed. It's what we do (or should do) most of the time.
"We are what they grow beyond" (Man, I'm really feeling Yoda-ish today  Grin )

Completely agree. Most of the time, when we build things or expand them, it’s for the now and not the future so when it’s done, it’s outdated once again since we’ve grown since then.

Wise words from a wise Jedi Master, Crue. Nothing wrong with that  Grin

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

« Reply #48623 on: November 12, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »

Completely agree. Most of the time, when we build things or expand them, it’s for the now and not the future so when it’s done, it’s outdated once again since we’ve grown since then.

Wise words from a wise Jedi Master, Crue. Nothing wrong with that  Grin

Thing is, if you plan for now it will be done in the next 10-15 years and be outdated by the time it's operational. But if you plan ahead and want to make something for the needs of 10-15 years from now, then your project won't be accepted because: "it's too big", "doesn't fit our current needs", "costs too much"...
That's probably the case everywhere.

Sabers Owned

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #48624 on: November 12, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »

Thank you, sir.
Little guy with glasses?

pretty sure. wouldn't be a bad idea to reach out. be great to promote and get the name out there.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #48625 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »

What is power?

It is when you can put a very bad mark to a student just because he smiled at your Master Yoda mug ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

« Reply #48626 on: November 12, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »

What is power?

It is when you can put a very bad mark to a student just because he smiled at your Master Yoda mug ...

It's probably not only that. But I think this deserves to be called "power"  Wink
I would not give them a bad mark for smiling at it. If they mocked me for it though....mercy is overrated  Tongue

Sabers Owned

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #48627 on: November 12, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »

What is power?

Smiling at something is a...bad thing?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #48628 on: November 12, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »

It's probably not only that. But I think this deserves to be called "power"  Wink
I would not give them a bad mark for smiling at it. If they mocked me for it though....mercy is overrated  Tongue

Exactly Cheesy

Smiling at something is a...bad thing?

It depends of the smile  Grin

There was condescension in this smile!!!

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #48629 on: November 12, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

Thing is, if you plan for now it will be done in the next 10-15 years and be outdated by the time it's operational. But if you plan ahead and want to make something for the needs of 10-15 years from now, then your project won't be accepted because: "it's too big", "doesn't fit our current needs", "costs too much"...
That's probably the case everywhere.

And that’s the political side of our state and building or expanding things.  Couldn’t say it any better

Pages: 1 ... 3240 3241 [3242] 3243 3244 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: