Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4901183 times)
Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #49605 on: February 21, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »

Technically speaking, they ARE separate species.  They are a common genus (Canis), but different species (lupus, latrans, familiaris).

It's not "technically" speaking. It's "conventionally" speaking. The binomial nomenclature system was used to name then long before we realized that they are indeed the same species. By that time, it was too ingrained in people's minds to change, and changing it wouldn't have a negative of positive impact on the situation, so they just left it as is.

"Technically" speaking, they are the same species because they can interbreed with each other and produce healthy, fertile offspring.

True, some hybrids' appearance is dependent on what species each parent is. In the case of lion-tiger hybrids the results are night and day. The offspring sired by a tiger result in a tigon and don't get much bigger than 400lbs and have more prominent stripes. Those sired by a lion, a liger, can get upward of 1000lbs and 10ft in length.

Thr thing about a liger's size is actually a genetic defect called growth dysplasia. The basic idea behind it is here: http://messybeast.com/genetics/growth-dysplasia.htm

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #49606 on: February 21, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »

True, some hybrids' appearance is dependent on what species each parent is. In the case of lion-tiger hybrids the results are night and day. The offspring sired by a tiger result in a tigon and don't get much bigger than 400lbs and have more prominent stripes. Those sired by a lion, a liger, can get upward of 1000lbs and 10ft in length.

In that case it's probably the Clone's daughter who's the wrong one.... sired by a human = more human appearance, sired by a Twi'lek = more Twi'lek appearance? Unless I'm completely a dumb-ass and wrong.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #49607 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »

It's not "technically" speaking. It's "conventionally" speaking. The binomial nomenclature system was used to name then long before we realized that they are indeed the same species. By that time, it was too ingrained in people's minds to change, and changing it wouldn't have a negative of positive impact on the situation, so they just left it as is.

"Technically" speaking, they are the same species because they can interbreed with each other and produce healthy, fertile offspring.
A similar theory has been going through the paleontological world dealing with certain dinosaur "species". They use to believe that variations in cranial features in "species" like pachycephalosaurus (dome size and thickness, horn length and sharpness), or shield fringe and horn curvature in triceratops types, were species specific. They are now theorizing that these different variations are brought on by stages of age within the same species.

In that case it's probably the Clone's daughter who's the wrong one.... sired by a human = more human appearance, sired by a Twi'lek = more Twi'lek appearance? Unless I'm completely a dumb-ass and wrong.
The Clone fathered one of each; both had short lekku, which may have been more to do to age, since the younger brother had shorter than the sister's. The daughter had mottled human "pink" and rutian blue skin color. The son may not have had noticeable markings from being lethan on the Twi'lek half, which can can range from red to lighter shades similar to human "flesh tones."

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #49608 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »

Technically speaking, they ARE separate species.  They are a common genus (Canis), but different species (lupus, latrans, familiaris).

Here's more science, you've been warned...

Unfortunately, scientists in the past were so eager to define a set of characteristics as species to get their names associated with it that they often break from the definition of a species, capable of interbreeding. So, technically, interbreeding that results in viable/fertile offspring means they should be considered the same species, but the name of their genus and species predates the discovery that they could interbreed. A mule indicates horses and donkeys have enough genetic similarity that they are assumed ancestral, but the mule is infertile due to the wrong number of chromosomes, so they are a separate species incapable of truly interbreeding with fertile offspring.

A type of pet cat descending from a small wild leopard bred with housecats exists. The leopard makes infertile male offspring, but fertile females which can breed again with another housecat and so on. After 8 generations, you get a cat that is housecat sized with a small head and short forelimbs. The males commonly have narrow urethras and severe problems related to it.

Most mutations result in no cellular change. After that, mutation results in deletion. After that, mutation results in mutations that cause non-viability to adulthood. After that, mutation results in dysfunction or physical mutations that are not beneficial. Genetic drift doesn't make for viability for any crossbreeding of later generations that have speciated. Hence, they are a separate species. But, a lot of animals that are different are not truly speciated, yet were labeled as such. They could naturally interbreed again over time. A type of gecko once thought an evolutionary progenitor turned out to be another type of gecko but with a thyroid condition common to the population of that area. Given thyroid hormone, it became the other type of gecko.

But, in a world of religious views, like this one and the Star Wars conceptual one, similar genetics among species or humanoids etc. could be considered an indicator of creation. This is not mentioned to start that debate of personal views here. It's an understood idea. Investigate for yourself. It's an idea used in  the SW world. Star Wars has parallels to real life issues, but it's fiction. People's principal understanding in real life can be applied, but we don't know what is and isn't possible for hybrids until it's established in the story.  And even that has been broken before.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #49609 on: February 22, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

1) WOW! I've never seen Random thoughts move that far down the board.

2) Best team cosplay EVER

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #49610 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »

1) WOW! I've never seen Random thoughts move that far down the board.

2) Best team cosplay EVER

And what are my eyes instantly drawn too? The Initiate v4 in the bottom right corner.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #49611 on: February 22, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »

I'm eating a salad. I'm happy I'm eating something healthy, but I also feel like a rabbit.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #49612 on: February 24, 2019, 01:48:24 AM »

I would hold film makers to a higher standard when they draw lines and sling mud over the lines they drew.

"The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of man. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy. And a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to THE TWILIGHT ZONE."-Rod Serling

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #49613 on: February 24, 2019, 03:20:18 AM »

And what are my eyes instantly drawn too? The Initiate v4 in the bottom right corner.

not the only one. lol

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #49614 on: February 24, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »

I would hold film makers to a higher standard when they draw lines and sling mud over the lines they drew.

"The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of man. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy. And a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to THE TWILIGHT ZONE."-Rod Serling
This is from the episode where the neighborhood experiences a strange blackout, correct?

Twilight Zone was a great show, and I'm looking forward to Jordan Peele's take on it.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #49615 on: February 24, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »

Oh, and I didn't mean Rod threw mud. I meant films can be weapons of prejudice. And Rod states this well.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #49616 on: February 24, 2019, 07:13:31 PM »

It’s beautiful out, 55 degrees with highs of 65

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #49617 on: February 24, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »

A FedCourt has ruled the men only draft unconstitutional. "Either they need to get rid of the draft registration, or they need to require women to do the same thing that men do."

And all I keep thinking is that they used to hold out for a HEro 'til the morning light, but they did say it's time for a HERo.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #49618 on: February 25, 2019, 05:12:38 AM »

I rarely buy things for myself anymore, but I splurged last week and got a new Sporran ,kilt extender(got much fatter) and a Match tea set(trying to replace all the pop).   But then of course this up coming week i will have to spend a crap load on my van(breaks, muffler, the 100,000 mile fluid changes).  Really sucks when you have been unemployed for 3 years.

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #49619 on: February 25, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptkw2rPhAuM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</a>

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: