Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4900276 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #50475 on: June 27, 2019, 08:16:46 AM »

could always just use aurebesh
I could. But i want something that sounds alien. Like Greedo or Jabba. Fortunately I wss able to use google translate as a guide. Just need to make sure i give the actor the english translation of their part.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50476 on: June 27, 2019, 10:44:48 AM »

Agreed but I'm fine with them offering other options for the ones who have a different opinion.

It appears that I've missed some convos

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50477 on: June 27, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »

It appears that I've missed some convos
Nope. Not at all. Move on. Nothing to see here! lol Cheesy

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50478 on: June 27, 2019, 05:28:29 AM »

could always just use aurebesh
Aurebesh is just a substitute alphabet. Literally.

Agreed but I'm fine with them offering other options for the ones who have a different opinion.

I could. But i want something that sounds alien. Like Greedo or Jabba. Fortunately I wss able to use google translate as a guide. Just need to make sure i give the actor the english translation of their part.
I wouldn't. My German teacher used to say "Don't think about what it translates into English, just focus on the understanding the German." Essentially, just give your actor the words to say and how to say them, and then worry about translating the subtitles in post.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50479 on: June 27, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »

I wouldn't. My German teacher used to say "Don't think about what it translates into English, just focus on the understanding the German." Essentially, just give your actor the words to say and how to say them, and then worry about translating the subtitles in post.
I've already got the words. But I need to create an alien language for the actor to say while the English words appear on screen as subtitles. What I did was put the English lines into google translate, cycled through the various languages until I found one I liked and then used the translation as a beginning for the alien language. I know that George Lucas used an African language for Greedo in A New Hope, but what I did was just use the translation as a starting point.

For instance, the line "As excited as you may be Gideon, we already have cargo. The Black Suns will be waiting for those crates of chak-root." now reads "Tan pol ser, Gideon, ja temin carreega. El Neer Sun estra de chak-root.".

It's not a 100% direct translation. Some words from the translation I left out completely, and others I changed a little to make them sound better. As I said, google translate was just a starting point to help me.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50480 on: June 27, 2019, 06:02:20 AM »

I've already got the words. But I need to create an alien language for the actor to say while the English words appear on screen as subtitles. What I did was put the English lines into google translate, cycled through the various languages until I found one I liked and then used the translation as a beginning for the alien language. I know that George Lucas used an African language for Greedo in A New Hope, but what I did was just use the translation as a starting point.

For instance, the line "As excited as you may be Gideon, we already have cargo. The Black Sun will be waiting for those crates of chak-root." now reads "Tan pol ser, Gideon, ja temin carreega. El Neer Sun estra de chak-root.".

It's not a 100% direct translation. Some words from the translation I left out completely, and others I changed a little to make them sound better. As I said, google translate was just a starting point to help me.
Also, Sullustan is Swahili. Grin

Another possible idea is to use various languages so that nothing can actually be straight translated.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50481 on: June 27, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »

For instance, the line "As excited as you may be Gideon, we already have cargo. The Black Suns will be waiting for those crates of chak-root." now reads "Tan pol ser, Gideon, ja temin carreega. El Neer Sun estra de chak-root.".

Smart move on that, Knox.  Make it more into the Star Wars universe

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50482 on: June 27, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »

Another possible idea is to use various languages so that nothing can actually be straight translated.
That's why I changed words or used parts of words to create a new word that doesn't translate directly into anything. I didn't choose an African language though. I wanted something that would be easy for anyone to pronounce, rather than what Lucas did and actually get a native African speaker to speak the dialogue. Once I get my sound designer to add some modulation on the voice, it will definitely sound "alien" (I hope).

Smart move on that, Knox.  Make it more into the Star Wars universe
Thanks. It's a big Galaxy, and we've seen from the movies that their are lots of aliens that don't speak English (Jabba, Greedo, Selbuba, Chewie etc) but everyone still understands them. So I don't understand why this hasn't been done in any fan films (or at least not in any of the ones I've watched).

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50483 on: June 27, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »

Thanks. It's a big Galaxy, and we've seen from the movies that their are lots of aliens that don't speak English (Jabba, Greedo, Selbuba, Chewie etc) but everyone still understands them. So I don't understand why this hasn't been done in any fan films (or at least not in any of the ones I've watched).

Me either. Star Wars isn't just about one thing centered around one story since there are millions of galaxies to explorer along with alien races, languages, characters, and stores to tell

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50484 on: June 27, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

Me either. Star Wars isn't just about one thing centered around one story since there are millions of galaxies to explorer along with alien races, languages, characters, and stores to tell
Exactly. Which is why I want the franchise to use the spin-off movies to tell new stories with new characters that have absolutely no relation to the Jedi/Sith/1st order/Skywalkers or Solos. Not everything has to be linked. Not every character has to be related. And not everyone has to speak English.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #50485 on: June 27, 2019, 01:49:49 PM »

Gonna have to disagree on that.  Star Wars has always been centered around the Skywalkers...the rest is just "side stories"  good side stories don't get me wrong.  But I just hate this push to not only move away from the Skywalkers but damn near do away with them all together in some instances.  All I'll say on that.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50486 on: June 27, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »

Gonna have to disagree on that.  Star Wars has always been centered around the Skywalkers...the rest is just "side stories"  good side stories don't get me wrong.  But I just hate this push to not only move away from the Skywalkers but damn near do away with them all together in some instances.  All I'll say on that.

This is why the extended universe came to be.  Skywalker's great but there's also a reason why I like The Old Republic, many characters, stories, and galaxies to explore.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion and you're entitled to yours
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:36:15 PM by Infinit01 » Logged

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #50487 on: June 27, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »

I disagree which is why the extended universe came to be.  Skywalker's great but there's also a reason why I like The Old Republic.  Just more stories to explore

I love the old Republic as well...but that is just the lead up to the Birth of Anakin.  Anakin was the chosen one as such was the culmination of everything the Sith and Jedi wanted...the Ultimate Destroyer or the Savior.  Its like Lord of the Rings..... there is a ton of tales spanning eons before it.  Awesome stories that are full of great characters and events...but the important story..the one that is the "focal" is the War of the Ring told in the trilogy.  Anakain's rise, fall and redemption is the focal of Star Wars and always has been...especially according to Lucas himself.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #50488 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »

I just don't see it that way, I see it as other stories that happened that were told which aren't related to Anakin's story. To each his own, we're all entitled to our opinions

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #50489 on: June 27, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »

I love the old Republic as well...but that is just the lead up to the Birth of Anakin.  Anakin was the chosen one as such was the culmination of everything the Sith and Jedi wanted...the Ultimate Destroyer or the Savior.  Its like Lord of the Rings..... there is a ton of tales spanning eons before it.  Awesome stories that are full of great characters and events...but the important story..the one that is the "focal" is the War of the Ring told in the trilogy.  Anakain's rise, fall and redemption is the focal of Star Wars and always has been...especially according to Lucas himself.
Sounds like Dune and Paul Atreides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: