Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3411 3412 [3413] 3414 3415 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4899263 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #51180 on: September 21, 2019, 05:09:19 AM »

At this point I've pretty much stopped wearing shoes outside of work. It's quite fun, and way more comfortable. Winter should be interesting though...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #51181 on: September 21, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »

At this point I've pretty much stopped wearing shoes outside of work. It's quite fun, and way more comfortable. Winter should be interesting though...
Hell9 stranger. Nice to see you.

Get a nice pair of boots, combined with thin pair of ankle socks underneath a thick pair of 100% wool socks. Your feet will be stylish and toasty warm. This works for me, so hopefully will work for you too.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51182 on: September 21, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »

Welcome back, TJ

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51183 on: September 22, 2019, 01:07:49 AM »

Hell9 stranger. Nice to see you.

Get a nice pair of boots, combined with thin pair of ankle socks underneath a thick pair of 100% wool socks. Your feet will be stylish and toasty warm. This works for me, so hopefully will work for you too.

Hey you! How's things?

You maybe don't understand what I meant. I've been going around completely barefoot. (It's quite lovely, despite what some might tell you.) I'm not sure I could do boots with two pair of socks, and I shouldn't need that. If it's dry I should be fine barefoot until it hits the low 20's at least, provided I'm not staying out for a long period of time, I'll be fine for the few minutes most everyday errands require(I've done it before, on occasion.) I just need sneakers or something for a bit of insulation on really cold days, and my snow boots for when it's snowy/wet.

Speaking of snow, fresh snow feels absolutely wonderful on bare feet. Only for a couple minutes though, then it gets too cold, but I don't think I've felt anything better.

(Sig by me!)

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #51184 on: September 22, 2019, 03:15:19 AM »

Hey you! How's things?

You maybe don't understand what I meant. I've been going around completely barefoot. (It's quite lovely, despite what some might tell you.) I'm not sure I could do boots with two pair of socks, and I shouldn't need that. If it's dry I should be fine barefoot until it hits the low 20's at least, provided I'm not staying out for a long period of time, I'll be fine for the few minutes most everyday errands require(I've done it before, on occasion.) I just need sneakers or something for a bit of insulation on really cold days, and my snow boots for when it's snowy/wet.

Speaking of snow, fresh snow feels absolutely wonderful on bare feet. Only for a couple minutes though, then it gets too cold, but I don't think I've felt anything better.

The one trick is that your walking surface needs to be good.  Too hard, and you can damage your arches/feet.   We went from carpet to a tile interior, and I can't do barefoot anymore, as I get knee pains.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51185 on: September 22, 2019, 03:43:46 AM »

The one trick is that your walking surface needs to be good.  Too hard, and you can damage your arches/feet.   We went from carpet to a tile interior, and I can't do barefoot anymore, as I get knee pains.

I can't say that I've ever had trouble with any surface, other than asphalt can get hot enough to burn in summer, although you generally build up a tolerance even from that with exposure. Mine has definitely increased, although we're passed the point in the year now where asphalt gets hot enough to burn, at least where I live. By next year I should be mostly good there.

(Sig by me!)

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #51186 on: September 22, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »

I can't say that I've ever had trouble with any surface, other than asphalt can get hot enough to burn in summer, although you generally build up a tolerance even from that with exposure. Mine has definitely increased, although we're passed the point in the year now where asphalt gets hot enough to burn, at least where I live. By next year I should be mostly good there.

It takes some time to happen - but feet troubles can lead to knee, hip, and back problems.  Just wanted to give a warning to be careful, as I miss going barefoot as often as I used to.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51187 on: September 22, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »

It takes some time to happen - but feet troubles can lead to knee, hip, and back problems.  Just wanted to give a warning to be careful, as I miss going barefoot as often as I used to.

The science, as well as experiences of others I know is actually that being barefoot(once you get used to it) actually helps relieve foot, back, ankle, and knee pain.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89830802
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/09/28/are-all-shoes-bad-for-you/

(Sig by me!)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #51188 on: September 22, 2019, 06:31:27 PM »

The science, as well as experiences of others I know is actually that being barefoot(once you get used to it) actually helps relieve foot, back, ankle, and knee pain.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89830802
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/09/28/are-all-shoes-bad-for-you/

While their have have been studies, the "jury" is still out. But much like the first article eluded to, one of the main issues now is people look for a shoe that "looks good" instead of one that fits their lifestyle and physiology.  Some people have even gone further as some historians have noticed through archeological evidence that people walked different.  Mainly the theory is when roads began to be a thing, footwear changed thus changing the way we walk.  For me I have foot issues that were with me since birth so I have to have a particular show and insert.  I to though go barefoot 98% of the time.  I have known people that would wear their shoes inside their house.... 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51189 on: September 22, 2019, 09:04:53 PM »

While their have have been studies, the "jury" is still out. But much like the first article eluded to, one of the main issues now is people look for a shoe that "looks good" instead of one that fits their lifestyle and physiology.  Some people have even gone further as some historians have noticed through archeological evidence that people walked different.  Mainly the theory is when roads began to be a thing, footwear changed thus changing the way we walk.  For me I have foot issues that were with me since birth so I have to have a particular show and insert.  I to though go barefoot 98% of the time.  I have known people that would wear their shoes inside their house.... 

It's almost a catch 22. Most commercially available footwear is working against your feet and their physiology. 100% of what you'll find in most stores are terrible for your feet. So even if someone wants to, it's almost impossible to get "good" shoes, without going online. Even then, most people don't know what a "good" shoe is and how it should be designed.

A proper shoe should be completely flat, extremely flexible, with a very thin/minimal sole, and a wide toe box. Search "minimalist shoes" on Google. Merrel, Vibram, Zero Shoes are all good options, although they are a bit expensive. It should feel almost like a rubber sock.

Human feet were designed to be bare. Shoes are not necessary 99.9% of the time, even in our modern world of concrete and asphalt. It will be rough at first, because your soles will still be very soft, but pretty quickly the skin starts to thicken up to protect you. Asphalt and concrete feel quite nice to me, but I've built up the tolerance for even gravel, so I'm way past that point where everything hurts. Hot asphalt is still a concern, even for people like myself, I just know I need flip flops or something when it hits a certain temp. Your tolerance for that increases though as well, I wager what most of you would consider scalding hot isn't an issue for me, it's just warm.

What I've been told by other barefooters is 3-4 months is typically when they stopped missing shoes. I'm getting there but not yet, it's only been a bit over two months for me. It doesn't take long at all for feet to adapt to being bare constantly. Your circulation improves too, so cold isn't as big an issue(I'm thinking I should get well into November before it starts getting too cold for me). I'm also starting to develop at least a tiny bit of dexterity as well, being able to pick up some small objects(like small stones or a bottle cap) with my toes, as the muscles continue to develop from use. It's basically like when you break your arm and need a cast for months, your arm atrophies from lack of use and takes some time to build back up. Shoes are foot casts.

My toes spread out and have straightened a little bit too. People don't realize it, but our feet are actually deformed. We don't realize it because the deformities have become universal, so we perceive them as normal. A human foot is supposed to look more like what you'd see on other primates. Widely spread out and straight toes, leather like soles, and tapered into the heel which should be the narrowest point.Look t a newborn's feet, that's the natural shape. Feet of those in habitually shod populations, like Westerners, are generally shaped more like a shoe. This is because our feet conformed to shoes when we were young, growing into that shape. Most people's toes are all squished together, crooked, and bent.

Shoes are tools, you do need them sometimes, like in industrial environments. Running most everyday errands is NOT one of those situations. I haven't been kicked out of anywhere yet. Most of the time nobody says anything. It's completely legal to be barefoot in public, there are no health/safety codes anywhere that cover customer footwear, or lack there of.

I'm not actually trying to convert any of you here. If you're okay wearing shoes then you do you. I'll continue to go barefoot, because that's what works for me. Smiley

(Sig by me!)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #51190 on: September 23, 2019, 12:13:14 AM »

I've been wearing Vibram FiveFingers almost exclusively for the past eight years, and I find them to be EXTREMELY comfortable.  Basically, unless I'm going into a situation where I need dress shoes or physical protection (thorns or other very sharp surfaces that will pierce the soles, or something where steel toecaps are required), I'm wearing my "monkey feet."  I'm quite happy with that, and it's very comfortable.  Having said that, I've always been able to walk barefoot, and need no orthotics.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51191 on: September 23, 2019, 01:14:50 AM »

I've been wearing Vibram FiveFingers almost exclusively for the past eight years, and I find them to be EXTREMELY comfortable.  Basically, unless I'm going into a situation where I need dress shoes or physical protection (thorns or other very sharp surfaces that will pierce the soles, or something where steel toecaps are required), I'm wearing my "monkey feet."  I'm quite happy with that, and it's very comfortable.  Having said that, I've always been able to walk barefoot, and need no orthotics.

Those are a really good option. I thought about getting a pair, but I'll only really wear them at work, and I need something that looks like a shoe for that, so there's really no point.

I was looking at a pair of Xero Shoes though for work. Sure beats the Reeboks I've been wearing, which I actually find terribly uncomfortable, mostly because I'm not used to wearing shoes anymore. I think the Xeros will be a comfortable option for work and when I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO wear something and can't be barefoot.

(Sig by me!)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #51192 on: September 23, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »

So the Downton Abbey movie smashes Rambo at the US box office opening weekend? Go figure.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51193 on: September 23, 2019, 08:09:31 PM »

So the Downton Abbey movie smashes Rambo at the US box office opening weekend? Go figure.
Duh.

It was directly referenced in Iron Man 3. It has a bit of a following.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #51194 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:47 PM »

Duh.

It was directly referenced in Iron Man 3. It has a bit of a following.

Wait, it was? I guess I need to watch Iron Man 3 again. (not that I care about Downton Abbey, but it gives me a good reason to watch Iron Man 3 again).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 3411 3412 [3413] 3414 3415 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: