Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 2626 2627 [2628] 2629 2630 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4880064 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #39405 on: January 11, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Halfway through it, I was thinking about how horrible it was. And I was about 14 or 15.
Ditto. Although I managed to last through the whole thing because...you know...bewbs. And Gina Gershon.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #39406 on: January 11, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »

What about Jem and the Holograms? That movie was pretty horrific without being obscene.  Cheesy

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39407 on: January 11, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

What about Jem and the Holograms? That movie was pretty horrific without being obscene.  Cheesy
Fortunately I avoided it as I heard it was awful. Plus I never watched the cartoon so didn't see the point.

Let's shift focus to R rated movies that are actually good, like 12 Years A Slave. Most people I know can't watch it more than once. But it's an important movie that everyone should see

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39408 on: January 11, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »

Well, the originals of Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street were all pretty good.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #39409 on: January 11, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »

I find, The Matrix to have held up incredibly well since 1999.

Sure the two sequels aren't nearly as solid, and ultimately are a guilty pleasure for me, but that first one is STRONG.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39410 on: January 11, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »

Well, the originals of Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street were all pretty good.
I was never the biggest fan of Friday the 13th. Although Halloween and Elm Street are iconic (even if Freddy became more of funny boogie man as the movies wore on).

Sure the two sequels aren't nearly as solid, and ultimately are a guilty pleasure for me, but that first one is STRONG.
Most of the effects in the first Matrix definitely still hold up (apart from one or two shots). This is the big difference between practical and CGI. Some CGI can become dated really quickly and easily, whereas practical effects tend to last for decades.

I find it hard to quantify the US rating system, as the UK system is a little different. Although I will say, when you look at the ratings of a lot of the movies from the 1970s and 1980s and their content, the ratings guide now seems to be going backwards or becoming a lot more conservative.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39411 on: January 11, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

This is because i like most trilogies that were planned from the start, the Wachowskis wrote The Matrix in such a way that, should it have proven to be not very popular, it could stand on it's own without any need for sequels.

Also, for a comedic R-rated film, Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a must watch.

I also loved Cabin in the Woods.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39412 on: January 11, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »

I also loved Cabin in the Woods.
Cabin in the Woods did for the horror movie genre in the 2000s what Scream did for the horror movie genre in the 90s. Great movie so cleverly written.

This is because i like most trilogies that were planned from the start, the Wachowskis wrote The Matrix in such a way that, should it have proven to be not very popular, it could stand on it's own without any need for sequels.
The nature of the beast. I don't think any movie trilogy was ever initially written as a trilogy. The writers might have ideas for more movies, but rarely have everything already scripted out before the first movie is made. That may be why there are so few great trilogies, where every movie is great.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #39413 on: January 11, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »

The nature of the beast. I don't think any movie trilogy was ever initially written as a trilogy. The writers might have ideas for more movies, but rarely have everything already scripted out before the first movie is made. That may be why there are so few great trilogies, where every movie is great.
I would have thought that Ludlum wrote the Bourne series as a triology.   Could be wrong, but it seems like it ought to have been at least.

Also:

The previously yet to be titled Han Solo movie will be called "The scruffy lookin' nerf herder."

(kidding)

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #39414 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »

I do have a hankering for a horror movie. Haven't seen any of those yet.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #39415 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »

Ditto. Although I managed to last through the whole thing because...you know...bewbs. And Gina Gershon.

I watched the while thing too, but it was brutal.

I'd agree that the rating system has gotten more conservative, but there are also more ratings than there used to be, for example, PG-13.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39416 on: January 11, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

Fun fact: The PG-13 rating was created after parents were outraged at the PG rating of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. While it technically fell in the PG rating, some of the imagery was almost too graphic. The first film to be released with a PG-13 rating was Red Dawn.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #39417 on: January 11, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »

Fun fact: The PG-13 rating was created after parents were outraged at the PG rating of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. While it technically fell in the PG rating, some of the imagery was almost too graphic. The first film to be released with a PG-13 rating was Red Dawn.

Cool.  I love trivia.

Thanks Jev. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #39418 on: January 11, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

I do have a hankering for a horror movie. Haven't seen any of those yet.

In that case, take Jev's advice, and check out "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil."

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #39419 on: January 11, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »

I actually knew that. From what I remember it's not much worse than the other Indy movies, but my memory's not to be trusted.

In that case, take Jev's advice, and check out "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil."

That's rated R. Not good. Is there any good horror movies that aren't rated R?

Pages: 1 ... 2626 2627 [2628] 2629 2630 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: