Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 2627 2628 [2629] 2630 2631 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4880051 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #39420 on: January 11, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

I do have a hankering for a horror movie. Haven't seen any of those yet.
Try the original Poltergeist, Scream, Cabin in the Woods and An American Werewolf in London as good general introduction to the horror genre.

You will find though that most horror movies are R rated or higher. But don't let that put you off.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39421 on: January 11, 2017, 06:18:20 PM »

That's rated R. Not good. Is there any good horror movies that aren't rated R?

Not many good horror movies are PG-13. In fact, I can only think of one.

Darkness Falls

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39422 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »

Darkness Falls

Oh God! I remember that. Kudos for the pick. But as I said in my post, most horror movies will be R rated. Although, this is part of why I loved growing up during the video rental era. I got to watch so many R rated movies while I was still "underage" cos my parents were kinda cool and had no issue with me watching horror 9 (or any genre as long as it didn't have too much nudity)

Absolutely.

Insidious is highly regarded, and one of the best horror films int he last then years.

The Ring is still a strong PG-13 horror.

1408 is more of a thriller/mystery with horror elements.

In recent years a lot of fair to good horror movie have come up that are PG-13. However, there is an argument that by making them PG-13 they have lost the elements that made the classic horror movies scary

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #39423 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »

I think I have officially found the best Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner food.... Biscuits and Gravy.

I mean, seriously, it has meat, bread, flavor, and just plain tastes amazing.
So tell me.....are you going to miss the rock you just crawled out from under? Wink Tongue

Of course I've had it before, but I just had it again, and remembered why I liked it so much. I think it should be like the official food of America. Or better yet, official food of the planet Earth.
Forgetting you love biscuits and gravy is like forgetting that your eyes enjoy sleep from time to time.

Chicken and Waffles. Freaking love that stuff!
Tried it. Didn't get it. Must be a west coast thing. Undecided

Gore is an overrated tool to boost ratings
Human Centipede,
frelled up on the whole concept. NO
SAW,
The mystery was good, but the gore was superfluous. Maybe later
Hostel,
WTF is wrong with these people? NO
Final Destination series.
It had sequels...ergo stupid on the grounds that it wasn't final enough. NO
Deadpool,
That shell was just funny, and they didn't linger on it. So we'll put a pin in that.

No Showgirls, though. NOBODY should be exposed to that travesty of a film.
Thank you

What about Jem and the Holograms? That movie was pretty horrific without being obscene.  Cheesy
Or the new Ghostbusters.

The first film to be released with a PG-13 rating was Red Dawn.
Now there's a horror film. <spew>

That's a "no". It's not always so much that a film is rated R for the classic symptoms but rather just because certain types of images children might actually find too disturbing, so they just try not to take the risk. Undecided

But then I was way more scared shellless watching Aliens when I was 11 than I was when I saw it at 5.

I say start off with bad horror first. The OG Evil Dead. Wink

Darkness Falls

That's because it SUCKED.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39424 on: January 11, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »

That's because it SUCKED.

Um, no. It was actually quite scary.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #39425 on: January 11, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »

Absolutely.

Jaws is the top of the list. Not just a fantastic horror movie, but is regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Insidious is also highly regarded, and one of the best horror films in the last ten years.

The Ring is still a strong PG-13 horror.

1408 is more of a thriller/mystery with horror elements, but I am big fan of John Cusack.

Also:
Mama, The Others, White Noise, The Sixth Sense.

When you venture into PG-13 you're going to losing some of the "Horrifying" elements that garner movies an R rating; so you're going to see more ghost stories, and less slasher/serial killers.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39426 on: January 11, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »

That's a "no". It's not always so much that a film is rated R for the classic symptoms but rather just because certain types of images children might actually find too disturbing, so they just try not to take the risk. Undecided

But then I was way more scared shellless watching Aliens when I was 11 than I was when I saw it at 5.
Which kinda goes to a point I made before. If you look at the content of some of the classic and movies and compare it with content of similarly rated movies these days, it seems things are going backwards.

With regards to horror, the whole point of horror movies is to have imagery and scenes that scares and disturbs the viewer (in the same way that comedies feature imagery and scenes that make people laugh). Anyone watching a horror movie should already know beforehand that it will contain content that has the potential to scare and disturb them. And there is nothing wrong with that, because movies are an art form and very subjective.

I recently watched the Poltergeist remake. It was AWFUL. Had to watch the original immediately afterwards to restore my faith in movies in general and horror as a genre. Fortunately, in the past couple of years, there have been a number of good, creepy and inventive horror movies released that seem to be getting horror back on track.

Sorry for the double post, but I agree with Logos. It sucked (IMO)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:37:01 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #39427 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »

Gonna disagree on that. But I have a firmly held belief that a life lived in fear is not worth living, so I'd have just that psycho bitch kill me.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39428 on: January 11, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »

Gonna disagree on that. But I have a firmly held belief that a life lived in fear is not worth living, so I'd have just that psycho bitch kill me.
Ooo - you just reminded me of a great film....Misery. Great horror film that isn't gory (in fact what she does to him in the film is actually better than what she did in the book)

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #39429 on: January 11, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

In the process of looking into these. Jawa was looking good, but IMDB says it R. . . .

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #39430 on: January 11, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »

Ooo - you just reminded me of a great film....Misery. Great horror film that isn't gory (in fact what she does to him in the film is actually better than what she did in the book)

I guess that does count. Not you're average type of horror, but it was disturbing.

In the process of looking into these. Jawa was looking good, but IMDB says it R. . . .

Sig by For Tyeth

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39431 on: January 11, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »

There are others:

Drag Me To Hell

The Final Girls (not to be confused with Final Girl)

The Sixth Sense (this was back when M.Night Shyamaramalamadingdong was making good movies)

The Others

The Ring

The Grudge

Mama

Arachnophobia

Night of the Comet

Eight Legged Freaks (more horror comedy)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #39432 on: January 11, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »

Really? Bummer, I could have sworn it was rated PG; maybe it's like a retroactive rating or something.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39433 on: January 11, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »

I guess that does count. Not you're average type of horror, but it was disturbing.

First - point for the pic. Secondly - I love that horror has so many sub-genres to it: psychological, slasher, gory, comedy, supernatural etc. In the hands of a great storyteller they can get really creative, which is what we've seen the past couple years with movie light Insidious, Don't Breathe and Lights Out. I am really looking forward to the Bye Bye Man which is coming out soon. Doug Jones in a horror movie - count me in

There are others:

Drag Me To Hell

The Final Girls (not to be confused with Final Girl)

The Sixth Sense (this was back when M.Night Shyamaramalamadingdong was making good movies)

The Others

The Ring

The Grudge

Mama

Arachnophobia

Night of the Comet

Eight Legged Freaks (more horror comedy)

Point for going old school and bringing up Night of the Comet. Love that movie (with a very young Chakotay from Star Trek Voyager).

I all suppose it depends on what sub-genre of horror our young friend is looking to get into. I still say, that for a newbie who has never seen any horror movies before, the original Poltergeist is a good place to start. Watched it again on Monday and it still holds up.

Really? Bummer, I could have sworn it was rated PG; maybe it's like a retroactive rating or something.
Definitely retroactive. It was PG when it first came out. Of course, that was 40 years ago, so they obviously felt the need to reclassify it.

May I ask Calon why he has an aversion to R rated movies? Is it because his parents won't allow to watch movies of that rating or does he just think he'll not like them yet?

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #39434 on: January 11, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »

Jaws was originally rated R, but after they pulled some of the more gruesome scenes, it was brought down to PG. That said, there's the "ratings creep" to take into account. Many movies rated R back in the day just don't qualify for it today. Jaws is one of them. Even with all the footage, as a 41 year old movie, I would only rate it a PG-13.

Pages: 1 ... 2627 2628 [2629] 2630 2631 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: