Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3376 3377 [3378] 3379 3380 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4895668 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #50655 on: July 12, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

Using big words doesn't justify. It's shiny hull plating....whoop-do-@#$%ing-doo. And yes it was. She took it simply because of its affiliation with someone powerful. It has no qualities that give her an advantage.
I'll have to go back and read her Novel, But it is actually stronger than average FO armor, resists radiation more and even deflects blaster bolts, so there is a bit of an advantage.  IF only the had used her character....better.  Waste of a character and actress

This is correct. Phasma is characterized in her novel as being someone with no sentimentalities, she saw something that made better armor than hers and used it.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #50656 on: July 12, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »

<puke> I know the nauseating backstory behind Phasma's armor, but beyond that I was unaware that the organization was that pathetic.
Using big words doesn't justify. It's shiny hull plating....whoop-do-@#$%ing-doo. And yes it was. She took it simply because of its affiliation with someone powerful. It has no qualities that give her an advantage.
Must you always be so negative whenever you talk about (new) Star Wars?I get that you're not a fan of the newer movies and I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is just as valid as anyone else's, but are you really incapable of finding anything about them that you like/can enjoy?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #50657 on: July 12, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »

Must you always be so negative whenever you talk about (new) Star Wars?I get that you're not a fan of the newer movies and I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is just as valid as anyone else's, but are you really incapable of finding anything about them that you like/can enjoy?

Not to be so bold as to answer for Logos, but he and I seem to share close to the same opinion of the current state of Star Wars.  Its not that there is nothing good...its just the bad (to us) so outweighs any good.  For myself, I liked TFA.  Had its issues but nothing that tipped the scale....The subsequent expansion of the lore, some comments made by Lucasfilm employees and then TLJ did however tip them.....damn near knocked them over. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50658 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »

I'll have to go back and read her Novel, But it is actually stronger than average FO armor, resists radiation more and even deflects blaster bolts, so there is a bit of an advantage.  IF only the had used her character....better.  Waste of a character and actress
Agree on the waste. My complaint only complaint on the armor story is that the fact that had to have some useless tie-in. I will concede that the mere fact that it's made from a star ship hull will have its pros like added strength, and cons like weight. It would go to add to the strength of the character, that she is badass enough to wear very heavy armor and still be able to kick ass on the battlefield. But honestly you could have shined up the hull plate of any ship, why was SC Palpatine's so special?

This is correct. Phasma is characterized in her novel as being someone with no sentimentalities, she saw something that made better armor than hers and used it.
So it was an acquisition of pure opportunity? I was told she sought it out.

Must you always be so negative whenever you talk about (new) Star Wars? I get that you're not a fan of the newer movies and I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is just as valid as anyone else's, but are you really incapable of finding anything about them that you like/can enjoy?
I am honestly struggling. And by struggling, I'm implying that I am trying to find something. But it seems that all I see is either kitsch to sell crap to kids or pail shadowy rip offs of, and lame tie ins to the original material. And it truly leaves a foul taste. I grew up loving this franchise. The older I got, the deeper I fell into the universe. It became less fandom and more a lifelong study. And because of that, the so-called story thus far has been a limp copy of the original trilogy. (Only the names have been changed to protect the bad writing.)

Leaving out my obvious hatred of the script/story the movies are very well put together. I have enjoyed going back to live sets and less green screen. The visuals are spectacular. They have been well cast for the most part. But for me, what makes a movie entertaining is the story and/or dedication to the spirit of the franchise.

I remember when Speed Racer came out, everybody said it was absolutely horrible. Then one very boring Saturday, I watched it on Netflix. It was horrible. And I loved it because it truly was a live action version a horribly bad, but, fun anime. Yes as far as movies go, it was truly BAD. However, it accurately mimicked the nature of the anime it was based on, therefore IMO making it great.

I apologize for beating a dead horse. If you love it, I'm happy for you, and will never tell you you're wrong for loving it.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50659 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »

Not to be so bold as to answer for Logos, but he and I seem to share close to the same opinion of the current state of Star Wars.  Its not that there is nothing good...its just the bad (to us) so outweighs any good.  For myself, I liked TFA.  Had its issues but nothing that tipped the scale....The subsequent expansion of the lore, some comments made by Lucasfilm employees and then TLJ did however tip them.....damn near knocked them over.  
I understand that that is the way you feel. It's just that anytime any conversation about Star Wars occurs it always ends up being taken over by the negativity. Which I think is a shame. As you yourself has said, there is some good in there. Maybe just try and focus on that.

I suppose it's easier for me as I don't read any of the EU or comments made by Lucas Film employees or anything.
I'm a glass is half full kind of person, and while I acknowledge that the newer movies are far from perfect and have some elements that aren't good, I just prefer to (try to) be upbeat and focus on the positives.  

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #50660 on: July 12, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »

I am honestly struggling. And by struggling, I'm implying that I am trying to find something. But it seems that all I see is either kitsch to sell crap to kids or pail shadowy rip offs of, and lame tie ins to the original material. And it truly leaves a foul taste. I grew up loving this franchise. The older I got, the deeper I fell into the universe. It became less fandom and more a lifelong study. And because of that, the so-called story thus far has been a limp copy of the original trilogy. (Only the names have been changed to protect the bad writing.)

Leaving out my obvious hatred of the script/story the movies are very well put together. I have enjoyed going back to live sets and less green screen. The visuals are spectacular. They have been well cast for the most part. But for me, what makes a movie entertaining is the story and/or dedication to the spirit of the franchise.

I remember when Speed Racer came out, everybody said it was absolutely horrible. Then one very boring Saturday, I watched it on Netflix. It was horrible. And I loved it because it truly was a live action version a horribly bad, but, fun anime. Yes as far as movies go, it was truly BAD. However, it accurately mimicked the nature of the anime it was based on, therefore IMO making it great.

I apologize for beating a dead horse. If you love it, I'm happy for you, and will never tell you you're wrong for loving it.

I can certainly see why you think this way, Ive been delving deep into SW lore since I was in elementary school, so in a way I can see myself as having your opinion in some alternate timeline.

Whats been helping me is not so dissimilar from the Speed Racer example. Looking at it 100% objectively the only SW movies that are qualitatively good in story/script in my opinion are Empire Strikes Back, and Solo.

Now before you get really attached to that pitchfork, let me elaborate. I LOVE STAR WARS. Seriously. For a time it wasn't even a healthy love. The only SW movie I have personally watched and disliked was TCW (and then I loved the tv show). But speaking form an objective stance, Star Wars (especially the OT) is campy, silly, stupid, and riddled with god-awful dialogue. And I love it.

Its important to remember that even with the OT Star Wars has been laser-focused on selling toys and being fun. The Prequels (I think) are such a point of contention because they were trying to cash-in on that early 2000's edgy-ness. Then the new movies have been trying to be silly fun camp like the OT. For every Porg, theres and Ewok. For every Rose, a Jar-Jar. At the end of the day its a series about western space wizards with laser swords. If we sit here and nitpick it down to the bone, theres very little "sacred ground" that would truly be left untouched.

I love the new trilogy, I love how spot-on evil Hux is, I love the conflict and dynamic character involvement of Rey and Kylo, and I love Poe's top-gun style. I love the prequel trilogy, I love watching Anakin fall, I love the sassy-uncle attitude of Kenobi, and I love the choreography of the saber duels.
I love the original trilogy, Luke has a very satisfying arc, the chemistry between the cast is amazing, and Vader is nothing short of iconic.

I have an equal list of the things I dislike of each trilogy too, but fact of the matter is my love for the series outweighs my gripes. Star Wars movies are just *fun* for me. I hope you can find some things about the new trilogy you like especially with the new episode coming out!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50661 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »

For this ^^^ you get all the points today. Giving you a standing ovation sir. Bravo!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #50662 on: July 12, 2019, 10:10:15 PM »

But honestly you could have shined up the hull plate of any ship, why was SC Palpatine's so special?
So it was an acquisition of pure opportunity? I was told she sought it out.

yes and no.  Brendol Hux ( Father of the Hux from TFA) was currently in possession of the ship when went down on the planet Phasma is from.  Her planet was basically post apocalyptic after a droid factories nuclear meltdown.  So she saw the ship, understood its armors advantage and some of what it represented to her and after her training was over she returned to her planet and made her armor.  The fact it was Palpatines only has meaning for us...not her.

I'm a glass is half full kind of person,

Whether its half full or half empty all depends on how thirsty you are....and some of us are real thirsty for good star wars content.  Tongue

Like I said, the good is few and far between. 

Star Wars movies are just *fun* for me.

I think this sentence can really illustrate why some of us feel the way we do.  Let me be perfectly clear.... I am not disparaging you or those who think like you...far from it.  For some of us though....Star Wars is more than a "fun" movie series.  As humans are want to do we will attach affection and sentimentally to things that others do not share.  Star Wars is probably one of the best and widest  examples of this.  For some of us Star Wars inspired our passions that led to our careers, for others it gave us a community to be a part of where as before we had no one (before the New Canon Star Wars fans would disagree but it was never hostile like it is now) and for some it was a Light in Darkness.  So when someone begins altering the thing you love and not only altering it...but seemingly rejecting your opinions as not only wrong...but evil.  Bitterness can and will grow.  

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50663 on: July 12, 2019, 11:10:01 PM »

So when someone begins altering the thing you love and not only altering it...but seemingly rejecting your opinions as not only wrong...but evil.  Bitterness can and will grow.  
You make it sound as though you were part of the writing team on the new movies and they personally ignored your ideas.

Star Trek has altered the thing I love and rejected a lot of what fans wanted. But I don't feel bitter. Or feel like my "wants" are evil. But, like I said, that's just me. If everyone always agreed on everything we would live in an extremely bland world. Life is interesting due to it's wondrous complexities and unexpected nature.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #50664 on: July 13, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »

You make it sound as though you were part of the writing team on the new movies and they personally ignored your ideas.

Star Trek has altered the thing I love and rejected a lot of what fans wanted. But I don't feel bitter. Or feel like my "wants" are evil. But, like I said, that's just me. If everyone always agreed on everything we would live in an extremely bland world. Life is interesting due to it's wondrous complexities and unexpected nature.

What I mean is those of us who have voiced our dislike have been labeled racists, misogynists and alt-right Nazis....I have experienced this first hand.  While those types of people do exist they are hardly a rule when it comes to those of use who hold no love of the new Star Wars.  As I stated, not all fans love a thing equally.  To be clear I'm not saying that as a "gatekeeping" statement, just a reiteration on how some of us view a thing.    In terms of Star Trek, i was never as big of a "trekkie" as I was Star Wars (even though I was introduced to Star Trek way before Star Wars).  When the Abrams Trek came out, I liked it.  But I knew and knew of the hard core fans who hated and and still hate it, we are protective of what we love.   

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #50665 on: July 13, 2019, 02:15:02 AM »

If anyone offers for me to attend a training event thats only listed as one room 9-5, the answer is *no*.

College lectures were bad enough at 1 1/2 hours, i did not ever need to experience an 8 hour lecture, thank you very much.
A wise man once told me, "The mind can absorb only what the seat can endure."

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #50666 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:27 AM »

I might be ticking off the local con. doing things solo (without having his back) in the area. but, he took advantage of us last yr and riled up the crew....so, I'm backing my crew.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50667 on: July 13, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »

Halloween costume dilemma:

Option 1 is a little expensive and just about achievable if I am willing to rough it money wise for a couple of months
Option 2, will look just as good//scary, is about half the price of option 1 but has an outside chance of not arriving in time for Halloween

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #50668 on: July 14, 2019, 12:01:10 AM »

Option 1 is a little expensive and just about achievable if I am willing to rough it money wise for a couple of months
Option 2, will look just as good//scary, is about half the price of option 1 but has an outside chance of not arriving in time for Halloween

May I ask what it is that you need?

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #50669 on: July 14, 2019, 05:09:39 AM »

Of you have a plan B incase option 2 doesn't arrive on time go for that. If you don't then option 1 is really the only way to go.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 3376 3377 [3378] 3379 3380 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: