Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4879968 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #51120 on: September 12, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »

So I had a dark thought today:

Anybody ever notice that desk top computers and old flip phones never really died out on a regular basis? They just sorta got phased out despite continuing to be operational. Why is it then that supposed "superior" tech like smart phones don't seem to last very long even when taken care of? What is to stop a so-called system update from being a company produced virus that speeds up the failure of your device, forcing you to go buy a new one?
You're not wrong.  It's part of "planned obsolescence."

Oh, and Logos: LOVE the new sig!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #51121 on: September 12, 2019, 02:51:43 PM »

Anybody ever notice that desk top computers and old flip phones never really died out on a regular basis? They just sorta got phased out despite continuing to be operational. Why is it then that supposed "superior" tech like smart phones don't seem to last very long even when taken care of? What is to stop a so-called system update from being a company produced virus that speeds up the failure of your device, forcing you to go buy a new one?

Wheee! I have the answer.

What youre talking about actually has a name. "Planned Obsolescence". Its a good and bad thing.

Obviously the bad is after awhile devices arent really meant to support newer software so the updates will slow them down gradually until theyre practically useless. The downside is easy to see since its fairly easy to feel like companies are just trying to force you toward the new, expensive model.

However, all is not doom and gloom here, for the primary reason behind this is the internet. As devices had more and more functions and more and more inter connectivity, breaches and hacks became a larger and larger concern. In order to to break into devices, the "hackers" (god i hate that word) need to find a weak point in the devices' software. IF they find one its known as an "exploit". Companies such as apple and Microsoft are constantly trying to discover exploits present in their systems so they can patch it out before someone takes advantage of it. However, as the devices have become more complex, so too must the fixes. And some operating systems simply cant support continued service, such as XP, and fairly recently, Windows 7. Even some older Windows 10 models are approaching software end of life. When it comes to phones it pretty similar, though not as prevalent.

Theres nothing wrong with a still functioning flip phone, they last for ages but the trade off is limited functionality. If you only want your phone to text and call, id actually recommend it. Theres companies that have taken advantage of the mindset already (such as jitterbug) that make new flip phones still. Most people want the increased functionality though, and thus will take a phone that will eventually have its software phased out for new tech.

Hope this explanation helps!

EDIT: ^^What Dutchman said but with more words.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #51122 on: September 12, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »

Wheee! I have the answer.

What youre talking about actually has a name. "Planned Obsolescence". Its a good and bad thing.

Obviously the bad is after awhile devices arent really meant to support newer software so the updates will slow them down gradually until theyre practically useless. The downside is easy to see since its fairly easy to feel like companies are just trying to force you toward the new, expensive model.

However, all is not doom and gloom here, for the primary reason behind this is the internet. As devices had more and more functions and more and more inter connectivity, breaches and hacks became a larger and larger concern. In order to to break into devices, the "hackers" (god i hate that word) need to find a weak point in the devices' software. IF they find one its known as an "exploit". Companies such as apple and Microsoft are constantly trying to discover exploits present in their systems so they can patch it out before someone takes advantage of it. However, as the devices have become more complex, so too must the fixes. And some operating systems simply cant support continued service, such as XP, and fairly recently, Windows 7. Even some older Windows 10 models are approaching software end of life. When it comes to phones it pretty similar, though not as prevalent.

Theres nothing wrong with a still functioning flip phone, they last for ages but the trade off is limited functionality. If you only want your phone to text and call, id actually recommend it. Theres companies that have taken advantage of the mindset already (such as jitterbug) that make new flip phones still. Most people want the increased functionality though, and thus will take a phone that will eventually have its software phased out for new tech.

Hope this explanation helps!

EDIT: ^^What Dutchman said but with more words.
Heh "great minds" PS  Wink

Clearly the only reason I posted first is due to the fact that I typed only two sentences whereas you were MUCH more succinct  Smiley

Point for you sir^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51123 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »

You're not wrong.  It's part of "planned obsolescence."

Oh, and Logos: LOVE the new sig!
Yeah....but this isn't like the imperfect vacuum in a lightbulb. This is a multi-hundred dollar piece of equipment. My PS3 is obsolete, there are no new titles being produced, but still gets system updates in order to continue running certain features like Netflix.

Thanks.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #51124 on: September 12, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »

Or so many people believe.

I remember my old Nokia 3210 was built to withstand a nuclear explosion. Whereas these generations of smart phones can't even withstand falling on the floor.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51125 on: September 12, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51126 on: September 12, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »

By the way, I'm saying I believe that. But I know lots of people who do. They HAVE to get the latest phone as soon as it comes out. Or games console. Or game. Personally, I like to wait a while until at least the 2nd or 3rd generation of whatever it is to give the company time to iron out of the wrinkles and get tid of any bugs. Plus, the price has come down to something I consider more reasonable.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #51127 on: September 12, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »

I actually just bought a new phone. My old one was locked by TMobile(long story short, my friend neglected to pay our bill), who refused to unlock it without first being payed what they were owed, which actually exceeded the cost of a more than decent new phone from a new carrier(I was jumping ship anyway). So that's what I elected to do, buy a new phone. The account isn't in my name and my friend won't talk to me, so oh well.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51128 on: September 12, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »

By the way, I'm saying I believe that. But I know lots of people who do. They HAVE to get the latest phone as soon as it comes out. Or games console. Or game. Personally, I like to wait a while until at least the 2nd or 3rd generation of whatever it is to give the company time to iron out of the wrinkles and get tid of any bugs. Plus, the price has come down to something I consider more reasonable.
I know. It was just a fun excuse to post a counter-gif. Grin

You mean the power button being half a micron shorter isn't an improvement? And I was ready to shell out an another $2100 for the exclusive chalkboard case.

Sig by For Tyeth

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #51129 on: September 12, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Or so many people believe.

I remember my old Nokia 3210 was built to withstand a nuclear explosion. Whereas these generations of smart phones can't even withstand falling on the floor.

some of these new ones barely function new. I miss my Nextel brick...ran that thing over and couldn't tell.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51130 on: September 12, 2019, 06:44:31 PM »

I know. It was just a fun excuse to post a counter-gif. Grin
Just making sure!  Grin

You mean the power button being half a micron shorter isn't an improvement? And I was ready to shell out an another $2100 for the exclusive chalkboard case.
Well, apparently many people think it is.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51131 on: September 12, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »

Just making sure!  Grin
Well, apparently many people think it is.
When I finally had money for tech toys, I set priorities. I got sabers.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #51132 on: September 12, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »

When I finally had money for tech toys, I set priorities. I got sabers.

Felt. Sadly had to prioritize a new laptop recently as I got reeeeeeal sick and tired of a lenovo netbook.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51133 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »

I have found several bargains going secondhand. There are two companies in the UK (Cash Converters and CeX) where you can sell your stuff and get a decent price in cash. As they do a number of checks on items before they buy them, you can be assured when you go in to buy something used that it is in top condition. That's where I also buy a lot of ps3/ps4 games and bluray from as it's cheaper than buying them brand new.

I got a 2016 Macbook Air for £250 (brand new I'd be looking at closer to £700). Quite a saving.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #51134 on: September 12, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »

I have found several bargains going secondhand. There are two companies in the UK (Cash Converters and CeX) where you can sell your stuff and get a decent price in cash. As they do a number of checks on items before they buy them, you can be assured when you go in to buy something used that it is in top condition. That's where I also buy a lot of ps3/ps4 games and bluray from as it's cheaper than buying them brand new.

I got a 2016 Macbook Air for £250 (brand new I'd be looking at closer to £700). Quite a saving.

Not bad. Sadly i was picky and figured since i was getting a computer so im getting the kind of computer i want and overspent a little.

Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: