Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3421 3422 [3423] 3424 3425 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4880190 times)
Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #51330 on: October 08, 2019, 12:22:02 AM »

When an author sells the movie rights to their books, unless they are someone like JK Rowling, the studios are free to make any changes they want. Obviously JK Rowling has massive amounts of input and say in the Harry Potter movies, but not all authors negotiate such good deals.

And within the Potterverse, there are those who say that anything outside of the original seven books (or 10 books, if you count Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard) is non-canonical, no matter what JKR might add in after-the-fact interviews, tweets, or whatever.  I'm not squarely in that camp, but I can see where they're coming from.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #51331 on: October 08, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »

And within the Potterverse, there are those who say that anything outside of the original seven books (or 10 books, if you count Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard) is non-canonical, no matter what JKR might add in after-the-fact interviews, tweets, or whatever.  I'm not squarely in that camp, but I can see where they're coming from.
Sometimes fans get a little carried away and take ownership of these franchises because they love them so much. If JKR adds more stuff to the Potter-verse then she is then only one who can decide what is and isn't canon. She is the creator, what she says goes. It's like George Lucas and Star Wars.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #51332 on: October 08, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »

I found out that the whole Orc fiasco, as well as the Battle of the 5 Armies in the Hobbit was complete Hollywood BS. I always wondered why it left a foul taste.

Logos for President!! Wink

Adapting a book into a movie is very hard ... but I have to admit that books I love the most generally become movies I do not like (except first seasons of GOT).

LOTR/hobbit movies are beautiful, well made with great actors but the choices were made that disappointed me ... (the worst was Theoden and Worm Tongue)

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51333 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:44 AM »

I always prefer the book but do watch the movie with an opened mind. A lot of things won't transfer to screen correctly or at all but that's the beauty of some of it in my opinion, I just look forward to the story on the big screen

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #51334 on: October 08, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »

I always prefer the book but do watch the movie with an opened mind. A lot of things won't transfer to screen correctly or at all but that's the beauty of some of it in my opinion, I just look forward to the story on the big screen

Point!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #51335 on: October 08, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »

When an author sells the movie rights to their books, unless they are someone like JK Rowling, the studios are free to make any changes they want. Obviously JK Rowling has massive amounts of input and say in the Harry Potter movies, but not all authors negotiate such good deals.

Yea..why I specified "allowed input" on behalf of the author.  In the case of World War Z though its was bureaucracy  nonsense and a poor agent that made it where Max Brooks had no say so on selling the movie rights.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #51336 on: October 08, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »

Sometimes fans get a little carried away and take ownership of these franchises because they love them so much. If JKR adds more stuff to the Potter-verse then she is then only one who can decide what is and isn't canon. She is the creator, what she says goes. It's like George Lucas and Star Wars.
I'm still trying to figure out where I come down on that whole discussion, to be honest. 

When she said in an interview that she'd always thought of Dumbledore as gay, I pondered it, and thought, "Well, okay, I can see that.  Doesn't really change how I read the books, but I can see how that would work, and it does make some things make a LOT more sense.  Okay, accepted as personal head-canon." 

When the big kerfuffle arose because they cast a black woman to play Hermione in "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child," I really couldn't see the reason to get upset, even though my personal image was a (much less attractive) version of what we saw in the movies.  I know some folks point to the text in Prisoner of Azkaban where she and Harry are rescuing Buckbeak right outside of Hagrid's hut (with their "earlier" selves inside the hut under Harry's Invisibility Cloak) and it says, "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree," and claim that she MUST be white, but frankly, I can see that as merely an expression rather than as a prescriptive description of the character.  Other than that one mention, there is nothing (that I remember) in the text that demands that she be any particular ethnicity, so mixing it up a little bit for a stage performance causes me no grief.  I feel a little bit smug in having some validation for my personal head-canon, but if they want a non-white actress to play Hermione in a play, so what?  Anyone who isn't Emma Watson is going to be jarring for me, anyway, now that I've seen her as Hermione so many times. 

When she said that Ron & Hermione probably needed marital counseling, I thought that was just common sense.  Heck, I figure several of the couples might have needed it.  You KNOW Harry needed some counseling to deal with his issues, and Ginny had been possessed by Moldy Voldy, so HER head wasn't exactly on perfectly, so it stands to reason that the two of them as a couple just might have gone to seek counseling, too.  I didn't take Queen Jo's comment about Ron and Hermione needing counseling (or her comment in the same interview that in some ways, Harry and Hermione were a better fit) as her saying that what was in the Epilogue was wrong, or that the Harmony shippers had been right all along; I took it as some common-sense observations.  The Harmony shippers were wrong, but they weren't basing their hope off absolutely nothing-- there WAS something special between Hermione and Harry; it just wasn't the kind of special that leads to marriage.

However, when I read Cursed Child, and found out she thought that the plot was just peachy-keen and could be regarded as canon, I said, "Nope! Not canon for me!"  When she removed (or allowed to be removed) the original birthdate for Minerva McGonagall from Pottermore that CLEARLY showed she could not be the same Minerva McGonagall we saw interacting with a younger Dumbledore in "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" -- as if we fans wouldn't notice -- I decided that she no longer got to retcon MY head-canon.  When she started contradicting earlier canon, I started choosing what I would accept.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51337 on: October 08, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »

Point!

Glad that you agree, Psycho

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #51338 on: October 09, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »

I has a new avatar!!! Tongue

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51339 on: October 09, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »

Pretty

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #51340 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »

I noticed that earlier today... it looks good!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51341 on: October 09, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »

Two questions for the group:

1) Favourite movie to watch on Halloween?

2) What are you wearing for Halloween this year?

In case you haven't noticed, Halloween is one of my favourite times of the year

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #51342 on: October 09, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »

1) Dracula: Dead and Loving it. I know its not exactly "spooky" but I love it all the same.

2) Big hoodie and the wrappers of the leftover kit-kat bars.

Just as a quick edit to expand on point 1; where i dont do scary movies all that much, i think playing some Bloodborne will be called for.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #51343 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »

1.) Tie between Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus
2.)  Gonna be Thor this year.  Not any definite version. Kind of mish mash of different versions.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51344 on: October 09, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »

1) Hocus Pocus
2) What else?

Also got to see Ghostbusters on the big screen Sunday. 35yo and it still kicks ass.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 ... 3421 3422 [3423] 3424 3425 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: