Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3465 3466 [3467] 3468 3469 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4902039 times)
Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #51990 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »

Tell 'em what you want your troop flying.

An awesome aircraft. The only one to visibly slow down when it's cannon fires.

The cannon round comparison, while always impressive, is a bit misleading though. The standard 20mm fighter round is meant to kill other aircraft, while the 30mm round is meant to kill much more heavily armored tanks.

Of course there's always this: https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-chopper-popper-scored-the-a-10s-first-air-to-air-kill-against-an-iraqi-helicopter (seriously, 300 30mm armor piercing rounds through a helicopter...)

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51991 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »

An awesome aircraft. The only one to visibly slow down when it's cannon fires.

The cannon round comparison, while always impressive, is a bit misleading though. The standard 20mm fighter round is meant to kill other aircraft, while the 30mm round is meant to kill much more heavily armored tanks.

Of course there's always this: https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-chopper-popper-scored-the-a-10s-first-air-to-air-kill-against-an-iraqi-helicopter (seriously, 300 30mm armor piercing rounds through a helicopter...)
It still offers that satisfaction that your enemies will run away with the sad knowledge that if they take any hit from you, they will most likely die, and that any hits from them may not guarantee your demise. Wink It's a good feeling.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #51992 on: March 24, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »

It still offers that satisfaction that your enemies will run away with the sad knowledge that if they take any hit from you, they will most likely die, and that any hits from them may not guarantee your demise. Wink It's a good feeling.

Agreed.

Also I just realized I deserve to be whacked in the head with a lightsaber as I wrote "it's" instead of "its." Let's try this again.

Regarding the A-10, it's a shame that its future is in jeopardy.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #51993 on: March 24, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »

At least its not about the Damn Eagles.....

Agreed. It's been a while since I read the books now, but I'm pretty sure he even explained why they couldn't have used the eagles. I know there was something about it in the Hobbit.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #51994 on: March 24, 2020, 10:01:00 PM »

Agreed. It's been a while since I read the books now, but I'm pretty sure he even explained why they couldn't have used the eagles. I know there was something about it in the Hobbit.

Yea, For one the Eagles weren't just big Birds that Gandalf could summon at a whim.  They were an ancient and proud race who could speak the tounge of men.  In the Hobbit the King of the Eagles (Gwahir) and his flock heard all the ruckus of the Orcs treeing Gandalf, Bilbo and the Dwarves.  When Gwahir saw Gandalf the wizard asked for his help and The Eagles did because Gwahir owed Gandalf a debt.  Once safe Gandalf asked if they could take them to lake town but Gwahir said they would not go near the town because they would be shot at out of fear of the Eagles being after the sheep....which Gwahir said they would be.
        The Eagles also would not go near Mordor with Sauron's eye roaming since they would be attacked by the fell beasts instantly.  They were not overtly fond of putting themselves in harms way without a decent chance of victory it seemed.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #51995 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:29 PM »

Yea, For one the Eagles weren't just big Birds that Gandalf could summon at a whim.  They were an ancient and proud race who could speak the tounge of men.  In the Hobbit the King of the Eagles (Gwahir) and his flock heard all the ruckus of the Orcs treeing Gandalf, Bilbo and the Dwarves.  When Gwahir saw Gandalf the wizard asked for his help and The Eagles did because Gwahir owed Gandalf a debt.  Once safe Gandalf asked if they could take them to lake town but Gwahir said they would not go near the town because they would be shot at out of fear of the Eagles being after the sheep....which Gwahir said they would be.
        The Eagles also would not go near Mordor with Sauron's eye roaming since they would be attacked by the fell beasts instantly.  They were not overtly fond of putting themselves in harms way without a decent chance of victory it seemed.

Yes, I remember the stuff from the Hobbit, the stuff from LOTR is the part that I knew was there, just couldn't remember the explanation. And people wonder why Tolkien is considered one of the greatest writers of all time. Roll Eyes

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2788

Grey Assassin

« Reply #51996 on: March 25, 2020, 12:35:39 PM »

I hope everyone is healthy and safe

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51997 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »

Also I just realized I deserve to be whacked in the head with a lightsaber as I wrote "it's" instead of "its." Let's try this again.
Are you an English major?

Regarding the A-10, it's a shame that its future is in jeopardy.
I think the pilots will eventually have it their way.

Sounds more like they didn't want to tangle with fell beasts straight up. With Sauron looking on, the beasts would know they were coming. If he wasn't watching, they stood a greater chance of being able to swoop in unnoticed....perhaps.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #51998 on: March 25, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »

Are you an English major?
I think the pilots will eventually have it their way.
Sounds more like they didn't want to tangle with fell beasts straight up. With Sauron looking on, the beasts would know they were coming. If he wasn't watching, they stood a greater chance of being able to swoop in unnoticed....perhaps.

It wasn't just watching, Sauron's will was backing the Wraiths and beasts.  Sauron, even in his weakened state, was the most powerful thing on Middle-Earth at this point.  It wasn't just distracting his gaze, but his will as well.  That's what the "Marching up to the Gates" gesture was for.  With Gandalf and Isilidur's heir ( carrying The Sword of Elendil reforged) at the front of an army of the people of Middle-Earth, Sauron's gaze and will was directed to his gate.  He didn't pay attention to Mt. Doom. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #51999 on: March 26, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »

It wasn't just watching, Sauron's will was backing the Wraiths and beasts.  Sauron, even in his weakened state, was the most powerful thing on Middle-Earth at this point.  It wasn't just distracting his gaze, but his will as well.  That's what the "Marching up to the Gates" gesture was for.  With Gandalf and Isilidur's heir ( carrying The Sword of Elendil reforged) at the front of an army of the people of Middle-Earth, Sauron's gaze and will was directed to his gate.  He didn't pay attention to Mt. Doom. 

Exactly. Sauron was "all seeing", and the eagles weren't going to fight that. As I said, it just rubbed me that they weren't going to take on the beasts without the element of surprise.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #52000 on: March 27, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

Sig by For Tyeth

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #52001 on: March 28, 2020, 12:03:28 AM »

My brain...

Wandering the vast video expanse of YouTube and discovered deep zooms of the Mandlebrot set. Found one that's over an hour long. Then decided that it needed better background music. Specifically the Dr. Who theme.

Extra double squared bonus points to anyone who understands why that's perfect without the use of the internet.

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #52002 on: March 28, 2020, 07:07:42 AM »

My brain...

Wandering the vast video expanse of YouTube and discovered deep zooms of the Mandlebrot set. Found one that's over an hour long. Then decided that it needed better background music. Specifically the Dr. Who theme.

Extra double squared bonus points to anyone who understands why that's perfect without the use of the internet.

Are you familiar with the Mandlebrot set?

I don't know how to describe why the Dr. Who theme as backround music for Benoit Mandlebrot's fractals is perfect, it just is. Points to you.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #52003 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »

I don't know how to describe why the Dr. Who theme as backround music for Benoit (balls) Mandlebrot's fractals is perfect, it just is. Points to you.

Sig by For Tyeth

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #52004 on: March 30, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3465 3466 [3467] 3468 3469 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: