Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Contact sword  (Read 2963 times)
Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »

I haven't found much in the way of videos of people doing contact saber work.  There's a couple of 'in progress' vids I found by Darth Cephalus of course, and a great double-bladed contact staff thread by Enso Marr.  I guess I'm just surprised I haven't seen more for single blade sabers...... or am I just not finding them?  Please link and put me to shame if I'm just blind.

Anyhoo, linking in this impressive contact sword vid.  Much of it is done with flaming swords, so I felt that made it kinda relevant  Cool

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnFvkKWjAo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnFvkKWjAo</a>

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Enso Marr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -43

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:43:22 AM »

I believe David Barron is one of the guys behind that new Flowsabers thing. In general I feel like there hasn't been a tonne of interest in contact techniques in the lightsaber community. Which is fair, I'm not a huge fan of the contact sword aesthetic myself. It's hard to make it look martial and reconcile with how I feel a sword should move.

May your fire burn both bright and beautiful, within and around you, that all may know your unrelenting freedom.

Follow @MasterEnso on Instagram for regular lightsaber and fire shenanigans.

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:52 AM »

The biggest problem with contact sword in this community is the shortage of usable tools for the technique. Fire spinning has good contact swords, but for LED, the emphasis is not there. There have been some notable attempts from makers I cannot mention per forum policies (I can can think of 3 and can provide in PM if you like) but by and large it has specific design demands that are not present in most sabers. The biggest being the long lightweight hilt with a significant counterbalance. You can kind of get there with a Yari and a heavy pommel but the end result is a saber that is too thick, weighs a ton, and handles like a longish brick. For different reasons, I have never seen a design for LED contact sword that I liked enough to buy. They have all been hindered by inattention to aesthetics or ridiculous price points. If you want to see good fire sword contact though, I recommend Spades. I have one of his videos up over in the saber artistry tutorials thread. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. I have done single and dual fire sword contact myself (nowhere near as good as the guy in the video you posted) but have not filmed most of it. I usually only do fire at events and the people who would usually film me are acting as safeties instead. Maybe this summer, I hope I might be able to get a fire sword performance or two on video. At current all I have on my youtube channel are some practice sessions. If more people get interested int he technique, I hope that makers like Ultrasabers might put some work into a usable design. At current, I don't think that the demand is there.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »

Just remembered, there is also this video from the same guy in the one you found using LED. You can see at about 2 minutes in when he does an angel roll with a single green saber, he is contacting the blade to do it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7Zv0yID7g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7Zv0yID7g</a>

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »

What a coincidence, I'd found that video myself and shared it onto my FB wall independently, and subsequently you posted it here  Cheesy

I had also come across Spades' fire sword vids, which were very decent.  He even had a couple of contact saber vids, but not nearly as impressive.  I think David Barron (aka Mr E) from the above linked video does some of the most impressive contact sword work I've seen though.

I did happen across a supplier who made sabers specific to the task, but I get what you mean regarding the lack of popularity here due to limited appropriatable resources (yes, that is now a word).  I'd love to learn some contact moves...add this to the list of things I'd like to learn  Tongue

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »

They are both good. I tend to like Spades because of the varied approach. He uses contact, spinning, and isolation. Mr E. Mostly sticks to super elaborate contact work. He does it a lot better, but I think Spades is a better performer. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: