Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ignition issues  (Read 761 times)
Krilleth Luxio
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »

Hi,
So long story short, my bellicose has had issues for a while now. It's running an obsidian soundboard, LED ignition button, Li-ion battery setup, buck puck resistor, flash on clash.. stuff like that.
All of it works fine, on a normal day, but a normal day hasn't happened for a while now.
While I can do the wiring on my own, I was hoping someone might be able to identify the issue so I don't have to rewire the whole saber.
Yes, this voids the warranty, but its been out of warranty for a while
No, I will not send this to ULTRA, as shipping back and forth from Canada costs A TON, and will only do so if the problem is unfixable.

So the problem is this:
I hit the button to power on the saber, and instead of powering on, it makes the power down noise and refuses to start up. None of the LED's, including the power button LED, light up whatsoever while doing this.
So it sounds as though power is getting SOMEWHERE in the saber, but not throughout the whole thing, or the resistance is whacked, or the circuit is not complete or whatever. I attempted to rewire some wires that seemed as though they were damaged, although this has done nothing to fix the problem.

If anyone has any idea what the issue might be, that would be absolutely lovely, especially if you have a solution that doesn't require rewiring the whole saber. I know the wiring in these things can be finicky, but it did work once upon a time... and I would love to have it back up and running again.

I think that's about all, but if you have any questions, please ask away

- Krilleth Luxio, Grey Jedi

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »

Is it possible that one of the batteries has gone bad?

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »

Just trouble shooting some ideas for you. Have you been downloading any new fonts on your soundboard? I put too much on my board once. Over 100% capacity and it did some messed up sounds. If that's the case you would need to wipe your board reformat it and add new fonts. Other than that I would probably do what Corwyn said. Get a set of two new batteries and try that.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Krilleth Luxio
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

Well, its not a battery issue, as they work fine in my other ultrasabers. I did reset the soundboard to factory default, since it did have a custom sound font on it, although this has not seemed to fix the issue either. I shall keep troubleshooting and update if i find anything

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »

Hi,
So long story short, my bellicose has had issues for a while now. It's running an obsidian soundboard, LED ignition button, Li-ion battery setup, buck puck resistor, flash on clash.. stuff like that.
All of it works fine, on a normal day, but a normal day hasn't happened for a while now.
While I can do the wiring on my own, I was hoping someone might be able to identify the issue so I don't have to rewire the whole saber.
Yes, this voids the warranty, but its been out of warranty for a while
No, I will not send this to ULTRA, as shipping back and forth from Canada costs A TON, and will only do so if the problem is unfixable.

So the problem is this:
I hit the button to power on the saber, and instead of powering on, it makes the power down noise and refuses to start up. None of the LED's, including the power button LED, light up whatsoever while doing this.
So it sounds as though power is getting SOMEWHERE in the saber, but not throughout the whole thing, or the resistance is whacked, or the circuit is not complete or whatever. I attempted to rewire some wires that seemed as though they were damaged, although this has done nothing to fix the problem.

If anyone has any idea what the issue might be, that would be absolutely lovely, especially if you have a solution that doesn't require rewiring the whole saber. I know the wiring in these things can be finicky, but it did work once upon a time... and I would love to have it back up and running again.

I think that's about all, but if you have any questions, please ask away

- Krilleth Luxio, Grey Jedi

The Obsidian soundboard has a short-circuit protection feature that acts exactly as you described: immediately turns off the lights, then plays the power off sound and turns completely off. This prevents damage to the board in case there's a problem with wiring. My guess is that you have a short-circuit in the LED wiring or the LED itself is burned, which triggers the protection as soon as you try to turn on the saber. You should try to disconnect the LED and see if the sound starts - if yes then this is definitely the short-circuit protection.

Marius.

Krilleth Luxio
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »

The Obsidian soundboard has a short-circuit protection feature that acts exactly as you described: immediately turns off the lights, then plays the power off sound and turns completely off. This prevents damage to the board in case there's a problem with wiring. My guess is that you have a short-circuit in the LED wiring or the LED itself is burned, which triggers the protection as soon as you try to turn on the saber. You should try to disconnect the LED and see if the sound starts - if yes then this is definitely the short-circuit protection.

Marius.

Alright, so i disconnected the LED, and powered it up using an external wiring and battery setup without the rest of the saber wiring attached. All diodes seem to work fine, as i can light up my blue and my white diodes that are featured in my particular saber. when attaching the + to the - wiring in the saber itself, the short-circuit protection still kicks in. from what I can tell, all of the wires are attached to the correct spots, although it is hard to tell near the ignition switch due to how it was manufactured. So, i guess that isolates the issue, although im not sure what part of it is not working. I may just have to rewire one by one and see if this remedies the short circuit issue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: