Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My DIY Crystal Chamber, cheap build  (Read 4327 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: March 18, 2017, 02:35:01 AM »

I got a damaged Luke ANH lightsaber on eBay and I decided I wanted to do a crystal chamber on it instead of a full conversion. So I started looking around at how to make a crystal chamber. I saw a  few really fancy ones but none that I really liked, so I decided to try to build my own using just whatever I had around, and I do tend to have a lot of cool stuff around. Here's what I used:

The bulb and lens from a 2 dollar flash light
A quartz crystal
some think pliable aluminum rods
2 black springs
a keychain ring
some tinfoil
super glue

and for tools i had scissors and a pair of pliers some super glue and a blue magic marker

I took the lens out of the flash light and cut it down so it would fit in the saber, colored it and the crystal lightly with my blue marker, then drilled two holes on either side of the lens so I could use it as my base. I bent the end of the rods slightly and poked them through the holes so they'd stick out the front for a good two inches or so and then I took them back out and bent them around til they both came out more or less straight and parralel. Then I stretched out the springs and put the end of one on either piece of the rod and crossed them over so they formed an X between the rods. I popped the crystal in and moved the springs so they sort of spiraled around it and finally I popped the key chain ring on and then bent out the tops of the rods and cut off the excess with my pliers. I dabbed a bit of superglu on to hold everything in place and then belt folded alulinum foil over it allso the light would only come out through the crystal. Here's what it looks like. I'll get more pics when I put it into my lightsaber.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »

I really like your idea. I think I would ditch the tinfoil. Do get some pictures when it's installed. It needs a little refining in my opinion, but I think your heading in the right direction.  +1

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »

I really like your idea. I think I would ditch the tinfoil. Do get some pictures when it's installed. It needs a little refining in my opinion, but I think your heading in the right direction.  +1

The more I look at it, the more I can see youre right. I like the crystal part, but I was lazy with the mounting and I shouldnt have used such a cheap flashlight piece for it when LEDs are readily available. I'm going to make a version two of this one!

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

Finished with version 2. I used a more powerful LED flashlight as a base and tidied up the connection between the crystal and the LED, sealing it up so no light could get through. It still looks about the same, same design, but its much brighter and cleaner.

much much brighter

The masking tape wont show up inside the saber so all you'll see is the crystal chamber. I'm going to mount it into the plastic inside the Anakin hilt and maybe drill out one of the recharge ports to create a window, it should look really great.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »

For such a beefy lightsaber hilt, the actual space for electronics in the MR Anakin saber is pretty small. I had to do a third build of my crystal chamber but I got it into the hilt. This hilt had some of the chrome scrached off somehow so I weathered it and burned some of the grips to make it like Anakin's saber after the duel on Mustafar. I replaced the large brass button with a clear view port and I think this one of a kind display saber is going to fetch a pretty sum on eBay. Heres the pics.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »

Looks pretty good! I like the button replacement, the light shining through looks cool. You picked a nicely cut looking crystal too.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:26:47 AM »

Looks pretty good! I like the button replacement, the light shining through looks cool. You picked a nicely cut looking crystal too.

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: