Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Diamond Questions  (Read 31212 times)
Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« on: March 18, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »

Figured I would start this as a central place to ask questions & find info on the Diamond Board.

After watching the videos & reading all the info, I have a couple questions . . .

- I'm 99.9% sure this is the case after watching the Videos, but if it was 1138% explicitly stated anywhere, I missed it . . .

I got the part on creating Effects & assigning them to Motions & Fonts - but just to be "Diamond Clear", can you assign a totally different profile to each font?  In other words - I can make a set of Blue-based Effects and assign them to a "Light Side" font and a set of Red-based Effects and assign that to a "Dark Side" Font . . . then switching Fonts will switch the Color/Effects profiles?

That was my takeaway, but just want to make sure that is the case.

- Watching the video of the Board intro, it appeared small enough to me to fit in a Prophecy v3 (it's certainly WAY smaller than the combined package of Obsidian + 4-channel Emerald) . . . but no v3s are on the Diamond store page.  So - no V3s?

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »

I'm curious on the V3 question as well, particularly the Prophecy.  When I saw how small the board was, my first thought was sound enabled color changing Prophecy.  Then I saw that's not an option.  If the thing can fit in an Apprentice or an Intitiate V4, surely it can fit in the Prophecy.

(Or is this a sign that the Prophecy V4 will soon be upon us?)

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

In time you will call me master

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »

Figured I would start this as a central place to ask questions & find info on the Diamond Board.

After watching the videos & reading all the info, I have a couple questions . . .

- I'm 99.9% sure this is the case after watching the Videos, but if it was 1138% explicitly stated anywhere, I missed it . . .

I got the part on creating Effects & assigning them to Motions & Fonts - but just to be "Diamond Clear", can you assign a totally different profile to each font?  In other words - I can make a set of Blue-based Effects and assign them to a "Light Side" font and a set of Red-based Effects and assign that to a "Dark Side" Font . . . then switching Fonts will switch the Color/Effects profiles?

That was my takeaway, but just want to make sure that is the case.

This is my understanding as well after watching all the videos. The important point that Emory stresses over and over again is that we emerald/Obsidianv4 users have to stop thinking of lighting and sound effects as separate things. And that they are now one. Specifically where he talks about saving "Font packages" as saving both your sound and lighting effects. So a complete soundfont would have both your sound effects and color effects.

So forgetting all the crazy lighting possibilities Emory focused on in the videos, on a very simple level, lets say you wanted to set up a default obsidian soundfont centered around a guardian blue main color, and lets say with a red flash on clash, a guardian blue to arctic blue pulse, an LED ramp up on poweron and an LED ramp down on powerdown. This could all be saved as one soundfont package and put on the saber in one of the 10 soundfont banks

And then lets say you did the same setup but with a blazing red main color/green FOC/Banes heart pulse with the blackstar soundfont. You could then save that as a separate soundfont package and put it on another of the 10 soundbanks.

My understanding is that when you then enter the onboard saber menu and do the flick of the wrist thing you would be able to change from your obsidian blue font to your blackstar red font and all aspects of each font would change along with it.

There are some soundboards already in existence that do this most basic type of color/sound font changing, but its all the crazy stuff Emory showed in the videos that's really going to make the Diamond smash every other soundboard out there..

Diamond is a game changer for sure. Even outside of the Ultrasabers community, I think the rest of the saber community is going to sit up and take notice of this thing. It does things I never even thought about a board being able to do.

I don't even know if its fair to call the Diamond a soundboard at this point. Its more like a saber processor.

Dark Mantis-Blazing red-Obsidian V4
Chosen one- Obsidian V4/Emerald driver
Dark Monarch-Diamond controller

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »

If I can ever afford it, I'll send my sabers in and have them fitted with the Diamond board. Together with some other upgrades I think about...but shipping from Germany to US is already quite expensive, not to mention the board costs and labour Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Duskheart
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -41

Bookaflock!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »

What I'm curious about is this...

When are we gonna get something with color changing like this that can work with a crossguard saber???  I looked on the page for the Flamberge, and it's still just RGB on the main blade, with a single available color for the side blades.  I'd think that if they could do ALL THIS OTHER STUFF with this board, they could manage at least RGB on all three, if not the RGBW/A.

I know it sounds a bit nit-picky with all we just got, but it's just kinda odd they're leaving some of their more popular sabers out in the dust with anything other than premium sound.  The other two big names have ways of making RGB crossguard sabers, why not US?

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »

When are we gonna get something with color changing like this that can work with a crossguard saber???  I looked on the page for the Flamberge, and it's still just RGB on the main blade, with a single available color for the side blades.  I'd think that if they could do ALL THIS OTHER STUFF with this board, they could manage at least RGB on all three, if not the RGBW/A.

I know it sounds a bit nit-picky with all we just got, but it's just kinda odd they're leaving some of their more popular sabers out in the dust with anything other than premium sound.  The other two big names have ways of making RGB crossguard sabers, why not US?

I had the same thought. Sure you could get side blades white and use color discs, but that means you still have to take the saber apart. You also get no flash on clash. I was holding off on a second crossguard for this upgrade, but now that I see it, I will do a single blade instead. I am just waiting on confirmation about the color switch with the sound font thing, because I was also not entirely sure on that feature. Still a great board, but it needs more love for the crossguard.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »

This V3 thing is really starting to bug me.  None of the V3 hilts are being offered with Diamond, not even the Aeon/Dominix, Standard Issue or Liberator.  What's the deal?  I get that none of those are available with Obsidian and Emerald, likely due to how the internal chambers are designed, but the Diamond takes up less space.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »

As I mentioned elsewhere, I THINK US might just be "guarding" their stock at this point.  Hopefully we'll see a broader range of options in the future. (separate purchase option - along with RGB LEDs, and more available hilts...)

The "ramp up/ramp down" on/off really has me, that and the possibility of a PLI on an illuminated switch...

(1138%??) Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »

THX-1138.  Wink

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »

THX-1138.  Wink

Oh right - DER!!!

Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

illrigger
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »

Emory mentioned the crossguard sabers in one of the videos. The accent channels can't power the big LEDs in the guard, so one channel from the main driver has to be assigned to them. That means all you can get is RGB for the main blade and a single color for the guards, same as the Emerald. You can still do all of the Diamond effects on the blades, it's just that channel 4 is dedicated to the guard blades.

My question is whether they will sell the Diamond controller standalone. It looks so much easier to wire up than the competing options (that harness mount and the fact that all 4 main channels are on the board itself is sweet) , and that alone would be enough to get a lot of sabersmiths to want to grab them.

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »

illrigger - they understand that, what they are specifically asking about with Crossguards is if/when are we going to get full 4-channel color mixing on all 3 blades, not if we can put Diamond etc. in a Crossguard or why it doesn't work.

It's been available on control chips from "another guy" who only specializes in Boards for about a year and a half now and (as I understand it) he only had to update his Firmware to do it.

Like they said - given what Diamond gives us, it's a nit.  But given they built a new board from scratch, it's a little bit surprising that wasn't included.  But again - it's a nit about a big advance overall.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »

I think its a power draw issue. There is no reason you couldnt just join all the wires like for like within the crossguard then pass single wires to the board, but if the board cannot pass enough current to the three LEDs, you wont get the proper colors. I dont see any other reason that could stand in the way of it. All we need is for someone with a crossguard and diamond or emerald to risk their board and test it out for us... lol

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:11 PM »

Now that you put it like that . . . that would require Parallel wiring which would require 3x the Current and 2x 14500s just don't have the juice.

If someone re-rigged theirs to run off an 18650 with a 3400 mAh Capacity . . .

OK.  So - when I saw the Video on Friday, I had 2 hilts in mind:

Dark Prophecy

Flamberge.

I just might have to get that Flamberge eventually and ask them to ship it disassembled so I can do that setup . . .

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »

Fopr me it is more than a Nit. The issue for me with the Flamberge is that I am less likely to buy one with the Diamond upgrade than I was with the Emerald. It actually constitutes a step backwards for this hilt. With Emerald, you can have any color, but you have to hook it up to a computer to do it. Get the side blades white and use color discs and there you go. You were going to have down time anyways while you configured. All you are out is the FOC. With the Diamond, they have added more features to the main blade and not changed the side blades. Now you don't have to connect to the computer to change color (presumably) and you get all kinds of effects. If you have to pop in color filters though, a lot of this ease of access is invalidated. You are losing a big part of the difference you are paying for. That which is not lost, just heightens the disparity between the main blade and the sides.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: