Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Lite vs Premium Obsidian  (Read 2353 times)
Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« on: March 19, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »

Can anyone who has both an Obsidian Lite saber and a premium Obsidian saber tell me how the two compare, particularly regarding battery life?

I've heard the Obsidian Lite sabers won't be as bright, since they use regular batteries/rechargeables, but I'm fine with that since I find the sabers brighter than I'd like.

What I haven't been able to find is how battery life compares between the two options. I have a stunt saber in Arctic Blue (supposed to be one of the most battery consuming colors) with regular batteries, and it is still on its original batteries (I haven't timed it, but it seems to me it has easily outlasted the Li-Ion stunt sabers). I say this because after doing a search, the conventional wisdom here is that Obsidian Lite sabers chew through batteries.

I'm just wondering if the Obsidian Lite might be a better (more affordable) option for me, since all I really need is sound and flash on clash, and even prefer a blade that isn't quite so bright.

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »

I was searching through youtube, trying to find a review comparing the two sound and battery options, and so far all I found was this.

In a comment, the owner estimated their Obsidian Lite got about 3 hours from the original, regular AAA batteries, and they estimated that they get double that from rechargeable AAAs.

Do rechargeable AAAs in Obsidian Lites really outlast the Li-Ions with premium sound? It sure is starting to sound like it.

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »

I can't speak to battery life, but the one thing I would say is if you are getting a color mixed with Red & Blue (VA, DVA, BH, HP) you would be better with Premium because you can get a BuckPuck (LED Driver) in that and Lite doesn't come with it.

Blue LEDs require higher Voltage than Red, so as you lose charge on a saber with a Resistor, your Purple will trend to Red . . . until it literally is Red.

If you're getting one of those colors, for it to always look it's best, you need the Li-Ion setup with the BuckPuck (not Resistor).

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:42:26 AM »

Point to you, LC, for bringing up a good point I hadn't considered.

I own an arctic blue stunt with regular batteries, and it looks like the batteries will be dying soon (I estimate I've gotten 2, maybe 3+ hours out of the original batteries so far), as the color is looking less blue and turning towards a dingy, murky green. (The arctic blue on this saber is definitely made out of green and blue, rather than blue and white as on another arctic blue saber I own.)

Now I know some of y'all out there have some Obsidian Lite sabers, so spill the beans! What kind of battery life do they get? Cheesy

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »

Now I know some of y'all out there have some Obsidian Lite sabers, so spill the beans! What kind of battery life do they get? Cheesy

And how well do they work with BR or BR tri cree? I've been toying with the idea of getting a Menace, but was thinking about getting it with OBS lite and Tri Cree BR. No FOC.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

I'm with Lord C; whereas I can't speak for battery life.  Toted the Catalyst around at a Con all day, and didn't need to replace the batteries though.

AND the only two LITE set-ups I own are in BR...(maybe that's why I didn't need new batteries).

I'd say it's certainly a great, less-expensive option for sound and FoC. Smiley

Here's a quick video of my Dark Catalyst with "used" alkalines (not rechargeable) in it:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLOgATOvLHk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLOgATOvLHk</a>

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »

I'm with Lord C; whereas I can't speak for battery life.  Toted the Catalyst around at a Con all day, and didn't need to replace the batteries though.

AND the only two LITE set-ups I own are in BR...(maybe that's why I didn't need new batteries).

I'd say it's certainly a great, less-expensive option for sound and FoC. Smiley

Here's a quick video of my Dark Catalyst with "used" alkalines (not rechargeable) in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLOgATOvLHk

If you can run an illuminated switch on it as well as get good life at a con, then I think I'll be just fine with a tri cree lite set up Smiley

I just don't see the point in going all out on a saber that will mostly be a shelf queen or a photo prop.

Thanks LR! Point!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: