Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What LED is This?  (Read 2521 times)
projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

So I've been wondering how US does an arctic blue (or any other mixed color) with flash on clash, since I assumed they did a [blue/blue/green] for arctic blue, and would need to replace one of those with the flash on clash color.

I decided to look at the LED in my Archon 3.1, and it seems to be an RGBW with only the green and white wired up. Is that what that is? I wouldn't have thought US would use quad LEDs, though it makes sense for them to just get a ton of RGBW/A so they can have fast turn arounds for red/green/blue orders with flash on clash.

Also, how do they do mixed colors with flash on clash? Say you ordered arctic blue (b/b/g) with white flash on clash, how do they achieve that? Is the blue a different tone, or do they change the resistor value on the green to lessen its effect on one blue vs. the normal blue?

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:00:54 PM »

I haven't been able to figure that out either. I'll bet if you pm JediXIX he might know.  I do know one wire piggies off the main led and the other wire for FOC comes from the sound board.  It could be mixed to get the white off the main led combined with the board that gives the white.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

I'm not sure, but since I own an AB with Silver FoC (and also tried that with Emerald), I think that they use a simple RGBW multicolour LED with Blue unresistored and Green resistored for AB. For Silver FoC it's wired to the White die. When FoC is activated, Blue and Green are shut off and White is active before Blue and Green are activated again.

This should be true for other mixed colours as well. And when a mixed colur is used for FoC on a single colour (like Red with VA as FoC), it's pretty much the same, only that the mixed colour is activated upon the FoC trigger.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »

They do indeed resistor one colour or another to achieve various hues.

I just got a DVA one, and peeked under the hood as well.

Red die had a resistor.  I THINK AB just uses the B/G dice.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »

They do indeed resistor one colour or another to achieve various hues.

I just got a DVA one, and peeked under the hood as well.

Red die had a resistor.  I THINK AB just uses the B/G dice.

Seems pretty smart in terms of efficiency and cost effectiveness. Some day I'll wire up a custom G/G/W for more green brightness. It's just that the Archon is dimmer than I'd like, but I'm a brightness nut

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »

How many volts are typically going to the led I wonder?

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

I received an arctic blue that flashes to white, and I don't see any green in it. That arctic blue saber looks like it is made of blue and white. In fact, it is so pale, the FoC to white is very, very subtle.

That is in contrast to another arctic blue saber I own, a stunt with regular batteries, and it is definitely a mix of green and blue, with more green than blue. The two arctic blues look nothing a like.

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »

I always imagined that arctic blue would be white and blue. It just makes sense to do that, but maybe they thought it was too pale of a blue. If you wanted to be sure I'd just take apart the LED module and turn the light on and you'd see the individual colors more clearly.

On a related note, deciding between guardian blue and arctic blue for my Graflex is extremely difficult, but I may just choose a Diamond board and mix some color

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »

Here's what I found under the Obsidian Order / FoC Option -  

"•Any saber with Flash on Clash added will be made with a 10W RGB LED, not a Seoul P4 Star or a Luxeon Rebel Star."

Full thread deets -

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3652.0

Also, from the US store ordering page -

"Choose the color of your blade!

Blazing Red, Consular Green, Guardian Blue, Fire Orange, and Adegan Silver are all made with single diode High Powered LEDs.

Violet Amethyst, Sunrider's Destinty, and Arctic Blue are all made with multicolor RGB LEDs and combining two diodes to create the Blade Color.
(And on a side note guys - as we know these colors can be a bit less bright due to the use of resistors to achieve the correct color mix Smiley)

Tri Blazing Red, Tri Consular Green, Tri Guardian Blue, Tri Fire Orange, Tri Arctic Blue and Tri Adegan Silver are all made using Tri Cree LEDs with all three diodes wired together. [Not compatible with Flash on Clash]."

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »

Update -

So I finally looked at the LED pad for one of my Emerald sabers and it's the same as the one you have pictured here ^  ... 4 dice.

Also my LED that's BR with SY FoC is the same style as you pictured as well.

The LED's I have ordered as a single color (no FoC) are 3 dice.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »

Thank you for that. I don't know why I asked the question in the first place, since it seems so obvious what the LED is. I wonder now how they achieve TRI arctic blue, but I think it's a b/b/g Tri cree. These questions are all superfluous though.

My questions now lie with resistoring multiple dies, but I'm pretty sure I have that figured out, and that there are enough online resources for me not to ask

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: