Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Nerf Magnus - Mando Style  (Read 1982 times)
richmbailey
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 282

« on: March 22, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »

My first customization of a Nerf gun. I had no idea there was a huge sub-culture of Nerf customizers out there. This one will be a companion piece to a Mando helmet I am working on. Some steampunk inspired greebles as well.

Used sandpaper, Krylon and Testers paints and clearcoat. Hobby store gears and cloth scraps to cover the handle.

Chosen One SE (BR) Obsidian v3 Sound
Dark Monarch - Ancient Mods with 3rd party sound
Bellicose (FO) Obsidian Sound
Graflex (GB) 3rd party sound
Flamberge (BR) Stunt
Dark Shock Hybrid (BR FoC FO) 3rd party sound
Consular (CG) Obsidian Sound

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »

Looks really nice.  I'm also working on a Nerf gun mod as well.  But I'm totally going with a Steam Punk style design.  Will post pics of mine when its done.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »

Looks really nice.  I'm also working on a Nerf gun mod as well.  But I'm totally going with a Steam Punk style design.  Will post pics of mine when its done.

Funny you said that. I just finished my first Steampunk Nerf gun yesterday. Got the bug now. It's a liquid cooled blaster. I used a Nerf Big Shock. I'll post up the pick in a minute. Wink

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »

You have a great way of making Nerf guns actually look cool.

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:23 AM »

Very nice work  Smiley

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:54 AM »

Nice Smiley we have two of these painted for costuming, hubby uses his with his smuggler Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

This looks awesome!  I'm planning to do some Nerf customizations in the future, I'll definitely be taking tips from this thread.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »

Nice. I also have a Magnus blaster but not sure what to really do with it Tongue I might do a Death Watch inspired color scheme to mine. Got any ideas? How did you go about painting, using white primer first then paint? And sanding of course

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »

Depends on what colour scheme you go with.  I did a black undercoat on my three painted blasters, but they had either steampunk or 'realistic' paint schemes.  You might use a white undercoat if you wanted a very light colour scheme like silver.

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »

Depends on what colour scheme you go with.  I did a black undercoat on my three painted blasters, but they had either steampunk or 'realistic' paint schemes.  You might use a white undercoat if you wanted a very light colour scheme like silver.

Yeah, typically when it comes to priming for light coloured paints use a light coloured primer (eg white) for dark colour paints go with grey or black. Course that also depends on your primer, sone primers will only come in certain colours (eh if a filler primer, or etch primer).

Typically we are slack and don't actually use primers, we just scuff the plastic to take the shine off it and give better adhesion and use a few base coats of paint instead.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »

Nice. I also have a Magnus blaster but not sure what to really do with it Tongue I might do a Death Watch inspired color scheme to mine. Got any ideas? How did you go about painting, using white primer first then paint? And sanding of course

I sanded off all the Nerf logos, the texture blocks on the body, and all warning labels until it was completely smooth on the main parts. I was careful not to sand over the grooves as this would take away the nice details in the mold. Thoroughly cleaned all the dust off. Then put 3 coats of Krylon light gray primer. Let it sit for a good 24 hours in ventilated space. Then, base coat with Krylon flat black. Used Testers metallic steel to dry brush scrapes and distress spots. Created a stencil of the Mando badge, and lightly dabbed dark red paint so it's very faint in person.

Used Testers metallic bronze for some accents and watered down black acrylic paint as a wash to "dirty" it up. Also added some random gears for a slight steampunk inspired look.

The hand wrap was done using a strip of cotton t-shirt, using glue to put in in place around the handle. The used black and brown washes to paint the cloth that stained it to a nice dark brown color.

Then covered with a light coat of semi-gloss clear coat.

Hope that helps.

**Note: I did not dismantle the gun, it's tricky painting it this way, but you can do it, if you are careful. The gun is fully functional still.

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: