Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Unsure what to purchase for the Spring Raffle.  (Read 4356 times)
MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »

Ok. I want to get to the magic $250 to get a raffle entry.
So far I want:

-2 Gold Covertec Wheels to change the look of my 2 Dark Prophecy hilts.
-1 Covertec Clip for a friend
-1 Standard Blade plug for same friend
-2 Standard Blade plugs for the initiates I got during the last sale
-2 sets of short retention screws for the Prophecy hilts (in case I want to take off the gold screws)

That puts me quite short of the goal.

What I'm thinking is I want two Emperor's Hand Pommels, however I really want to ask if they can sell me gold ones (basically electrum wind pommels at that point).

I'm also thinking 5 grab bag blades and 2 grab bag sabers.

My problem is that all of my sabers are mid-range ones, including those from "other guys". I totally skipped the stunt saber and went straight for fully-loaded ones. I like the idea of grab bag sabers, but I feel I will be disappointed due to what I already have. Additionally I don't want to spend much more than $250 on this order because since February I've bought several sabers and need to ration better. On the other hand, if I keep to this budget I can't really get a decent saber with sound. Should I buy a stunt saber of my choice? Grab bags?

Suggestions?

Saber Armory - In order of purchase
Dark Prophecy V3 (BR) Obsidian V4
Dark Prophecy V3 (AV) Obsidian V4
Dark Initiate V2 (GB) Stunt
Dark Initiate LE V4 (FO) Stunt
(Other Guys) Sinister Prophecy (MG) Champion Crimson
Electrum Wind (BH) Obsidian V4

MaskofMany
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -151

All your sabers are belong to us...

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »

I recently did my first Grab Bag saber - requested Sentinel Yellow for the color, and they gave me a Dark Sentinel LE hilt.  I can tell you - the great thing about the stunt sabers is that you can go really nuts with them without worrying too much about their innards, and even though they have no sound...they're fun.  Give it a try man, bare minimum you're gonna end up with a light saber that you can truly treat like a baseball bat.

Dark Side Points Please Smiley

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:03:35 AM »

I may get two grab bag sabers and request forum colors on them. The durability you mention is definitely something I didn't consider; I need to work on spins and doing that with a $3-400 saber is just asking for something to break.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:25:00 AM »

Yeah, grab bags and lower end stunts in general are great for dueling, or doing whatever.  They're incredibly durable and are really comfortable to wield.  They're also cool if you want to try your hand at modding a saber and you don't want to mess up an expensive one.

I hear you on wanting to hit about exactly $250.  I was a dollar or two over on the last raffle, and it was a stretch to get there.  But, it was totally worth it when I won a saber.  Smiley

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:56 AM »

I'm confused, as per your sig, you already own a couple of stunt sabers.

For me, a saber really needs sound and flash on clash for me to be happy with it. I can't see owning more than one stunt for sparring/practicing tricks with, perhaps two if I wanted to work on duel wielding or using a double bladed staff.

Like you, I've spent a lot recently, and I'm undecided if I want to enter the raffle. If I were to win a stunt saber, I'd probably just end up giving it away as a prize at some event.

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:54 AM »

Good point. Yes I have two initiates but I don't really use them at all. They are more for when a friend wants to play with lightsabers and doesn't have their own. I've also used them as classroom manipulatives

I also really want a banes heart menace, but that one with sound blows my numbers calculations way off...and also...I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I plan on trying out several other guys' products. As such, I need to budget correctly so that I can be an equal opportunity impulse buyer haha. Nothing in that statement says that I don't love us' product, because I do. I feel the various saber companies are like flavors of ice cream, or musical instrument brands. There isn't one particular right answer and their are pros and cons to everything.
Ultrasabers has some awesome products for a great price, maybe it's time to bite the grab bag bullet and see what the hype is about.Or get that menace...crud...decisions.

...I also really want 2 gold low profile pommels for my prophecy hilts but unless I can get those without buying an electrum I won't go for them...so to hit my intended order size I'd need another grab bag.

I want my multiple cakes and to eat them all too!!

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:53:53 AM »

I don't think the grab bags are worth it, unless you like to A. gamble, and B. are OK with "losing" more than "winning." You sound like me, that you have specific tastes and so you probably wouldn't be happy with just any saber.

Can you take advantage of a flash sale and enter the raffle on the same purchase? My guess is probably not, but if you could, you could hope they have a flash sale on a saber of interest before the raffle period ends.

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:36:38 AM »

That is also a great suggestion, albeit one that requires me to exercise both patience and self-control. Ha. Yeah if they happen to have a flash sale on the sabers I keep drooling over then yeah I may go that route as well. Said sabers will remain nameless in case big brother is watching.

There's a SMALL part of me that wants to get an empty hilt and try wiring it but even though I THINK I can do it, I'm not sure I want to potentially trash a hilt or even a grab bag in the process.

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:34 AM »

And yes you are correct, I do have particular tastes, which is part of my dilemma. Finding EXACTLY what I want is proving ridiculously hard and I've had to make concessions on every saber purchase so far from every manufacturer I've dealt with.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 05:49:06 AM »

Well, I was much the same. I didn't want any sabers that didn't have sound. Then I was given one by a friend, and I realize that when you're dueling, you really don't thing about not having sound. They are also great workhorses. If you break it (which is unlikely), it's not a big deal. $50-80 isn't really that much, and Grab Bag sabers are about that price depending on how you customize them. I'd say go for it. If you don't like it, oh well. Use the hilt as purely show. I do understand the not wanting to buy anything without sound though. So in the end, it's up to you. What do you want? What will you be happy with? Hope you figure it out.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »

Well I know that I can't purchase a gold emperor's hand pommel or an electrum wind pommel so that is off of my cart wish list. Hmm, looking at the past history of the flash sales, it isn't usually the abnormal/unique hilts. So unless there is a deal of the day on a malice, I might as well just order it. Anyone have experience with this hilt? Should I get obsidian lite or obsidian?

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:59 PM »

Obsidian lite is quite a bit cheaper, so if it's a sound 'sabre you want on a budget, go for that - it could make the difference between a cheaper hilt and a more expensive one, if nothing else.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 12:59:58 AM »

I saw that, and have been debating it. Although, per my pros and cons statement earlier I'd have to give up the mute option if I went with obsidian lite and also can't get a recharge port (that's the real kicker for me). I'm hung up on recharge port options because both of my prophecy hilts are very cramped and it is a pain to get the batteries out of the saber. Is the v4 hilt wider? Is this a me issue or a normal issue to have issues getting to the batteries?

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:05:10 AM »

The Consular flash sale today is sooo tempting.  Shocked

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

MaestroZee
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »

Actually, I went a completely random direction and went with this..

: Electrum Wind with Obsidian Premium Sound [Blade LED Color:Bane's Heart][Flash on Clash:No Flash][Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries Included *ONLY*)][Recharge Port:Recharge Port + No Charger][Blade Length:32" Length][Blade Option:UltraEdge Midgrade][Electrum Wind Grip Type:Round][Sound:Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4]][Switch Type:Black Non-Illuminated AV Switch][Electrum Wind Pommel Type:Gold Finish][Blade Set Screw Type:Button][Blade Tip:Round Tip][Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks][Include Blade Plug:Yes, Include Standard Plug][Include Saber Stand:No Thanks][Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks][Include Covertec Clip:Yes!]

The reason I didnt go for VA or DVA is because I already have a VA hilt. The reason I didn't go for flash on clash is I WANT EVERYONE AROUND ME TO SEE MY MAGENTA BLADE. I thought about going for the diamond controller, but that isn't in the budget right now. I also decided against the Malice because I couldn't figure out which claws I wanted and couldn't make a decision.

Thanks for all of your help guys!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: