Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Mantis - My First Video Review (be gentle)  (Read 3373 times)
Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« on: March 25, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »

Soooooo, I decided, after watching so many video reviews on Youtube, to just say screw it and make a video.  I decided to be a little bit "different" and review the Dark Mantis as "Desmond Falakei". Undecided  I used some cheap video editing software, so there are some minor issues with the video (one segment has the video and sound out of sync...not a huge issue).   :-)  ENJOY!  Grin

Here is the video review:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&amp;v=RMOpBroOW0s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&amp;v=RMOpBroOW0s</a>

http://youtu.be/RMOpBroOW0s

Here are pictures:

Here are some additional thoughts:
I'm extremely happy with my new Ultrasabers Dark Mantis.  I was torn on getting this saber or the newest addition, the Emperor's Hand.  I am very pleased with my purchase, as it adds some serious kick butt attitude to my aspiring Grey Jedi/Jensaari Force Warrior costume.  When I first received it, I was taken by the weight and size.  It wasn't as heavy as it looks (thanks to aluminum) and though it was long, I'd already had some modifications in mind when I was researching the Dark Mantis.  I shortened the pommel ever so slightly by separating the two pieces and doing a direct connect of the spiked portion.  It removed about an inch in length (though this is not official, just eyeing it).

I LOVE the Emerald and Obsidian V4 capabilities.  Both are awesome.  It took some adjusting to get to use them, and feel confident in making adjustments, but I couldn't resist the draw to perfect this saber to what I felt calling to me.  I think each buyer should, at least once, purchase either a Diamond or the combo (Emerald/Obsidian V4).  It is worth it.  It makes the experience so much more.

I also purchased extra Li-on batteries, as well as a recharge port.  I've used both.  The recharge port is get for the ease of use, but some might not like the way it looks so 21st century on a weapon that is more like the 210 century.  I do recommend this feature. 

Anyone who hasn't taken advantage of the MHS on Ultrasabers really should.  It is another item in the list of items that really separates US from the rest.  Seriously.  I love this company.

As mentioned in the video, I put an O-ring around the LED inside the hilt.  The LED wasn't moving around much, actually very little, but enough that I just used an extra O-ring.  It has since stopped even slight movements. 

Shadows are just negative space reversed.

Jensaarai Force Warrior

Light v Dark - Without one, there is no other
DF's Dark Mantis Review

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:43:39 AM »

I like it! That ominous voice (was that yourself, added in post or was that another person behind the camera?) trying to correct a lot of what Desmond said made it entertaining to watch. Point for you, sir.

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:59:39 AM »

I like it! That ominous voice (was that yourself, added in post or was that another person behind the camera?) trying to correct a lot of what Desmond said made it entertaining to watch. Point for you, sir.

Thanks Hoverfloat.  I was also the editor, so I used my phone to record noises.  Then I used the video edit tool to add them in (literally emailing the voice recordings to myself, downloading and uploading).  Definitely very novice, so the timing isn't always great.  Still not sure why some video and sound didn't quite sync up.  Fun to make, glad you enjoyed it!

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »

Ha your video was fun to watch - and I laughed a few times you've got a great sense of timing and humor.   

"He's giving me the silent treatment."  Sweet . . . lol Grin

And in your additional notes you make some very excellent points about the features you chose and why you like them.  Plus the mods you made to the Mantis make it look very nice and personalized. 

Points!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »

Ha your video was fun to watch - and I laughed a few times you've got a great sense of timing and humor.   

"He's giving me the silent treatment."  Sweet . . . lol Grin

And in your additional notes you make some very excellent points about the features you chose and why you like them.  Plus the mods you made to the Mantis make it look very nice and personalized. 

Points!

Thanks, much appreciated.  I was trying something different.  I think there are plenty of Dark Mantis reviews that are better when it comes to review, but I went for something different.  I hope the costume and character allow folks to get an idea of what it looks like when it is all put together with a costume.  I love the Dark Mantis aesthetically, but wanted something that was personalized.  Glad you enjoyed!

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »

I'm considering getting an azure mantis with diamond in the future myself.  Would like to know why you decided to take that silver shroud piece off the hilt.  I've read before that it is rather loose and can rattle around.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »

I'm considering getting an azure mantis with diamond in the future myself.  Would like to know why you decided to take that silver shroud piece off the hilt.  I've read before that it is rather loose and can rattle around.

To add another question - I've heard the chevrons in the collar you removed are sharp - is that what you find, Desmond?   

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »

To add another question - I've heard the chevrons in the collar you removed are sharp - is that what you find, Desmond?   

They are a bit sharp, but that wasn't why I removed mine.  I just preferred the grip without it (since that is where I grip it when dueling).  Without it,  it is an easy grip (but looks naked).  So that's why I added some O-rings...

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »

Grip.  Without it I was able to grip the Dark Mantis more easily.  I liked the look, but it adds about an inch in circumference.  I may end up adding it back at some point (options!).  I enjoy the Dark Mantis so much, I may purchase other in the series.   

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »

Cool review. I like the mods you have done. Simple but effective. It is cool to see someone doing something different with their reviews. Great job.

Point to you

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »

Cool review. I like the mods you have done. Simple but effective. It is cool to see someone doing something different with their reviews. Great job.

Point to you

Thank you.  I see in your list you are looking at an Emerald saber.  Very worth it.  I love being able to change the colors and I really like the pulse effect.  My new favorite feature... Smiley

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »

Thank you.  I see in your list you are looking at an Emerald saber.  Very worth it.  I love being able to change the colors and I really like the pulse effect.  My new favorite feature... Smiley

Yes, though this new Diamond Controller has got me thinking. But I still think I'll try out Emerald first, and then move up to Diamond later.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »

Yes, though this new Diamond Controller has got me thinking. But I still think I'll try out Emerald first, and then move up to Diamond later.

I had to laugh, the Diamond controller came out (literally) the day after I received my Dark Mantis.  I know myself, my next will have it, but I'm really enjoying my Dark Mantis with Emerald Driver and Obsidian V4 sound system.  Mixing the pulse (from Emerald) with the ability to adjust the idle hum, clash, etc. from the Ov4 is pretty addicting.  I find myself making minor adjustments just to see what it does.  Very fun.   

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »

The ones on Tegan's mantis weren't sharp so maybe it's a bit like emitter windows and some slip through the QC? It's actually one of my favorite features on the Mantis.

Great review on a bad-ass looking saber Desmond Falakei! LS point for sharing Smiley I like the pommel change up you did. When I pulled one of those pommels apart I had a thought that the non spiked half would make a pretty good addition with the coupler on some sabers between the saber and a Yari to give it a nice flare out Smiley

The color definitely looks amazing through that photon blade  Shocked

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »

The ones on Tegan's mantis weren't sharp so maybe it's a bit like emitter windows and some slip through the QC? It's actually one of my favorite features on the Mantis.

Great review on a bad-ass looking saber Desmond Falakei! LS point for sharing Smiley I like the pommel change up you did. When I pulled one of those pommels apart I had a thought that the non spiked half would make a pretty good addition with the coupler on some sabers between the saber and a Yari to give it a nice flare out Smiley

The color definitely looks amazing through that photon blade  Shocked

Thanks, much appreciated.  And also thank you on your youtube review on the Mantis (and Monarch).  Those got me thinking! 

Hmmm... I was looking at making a Yari staff with one of my Bellicose (yes, I have two...).  didn't even consider using that little flare out piece, but that would be very cool.  US will be at Wondercon next weekend, so I'm looking forward to handling the various hilts I've not yet purchased... though I will say, I like my Dark Mantis so much, that I've not had the same urge to get my next piece.  Now I'm purchasing some of the flair pieces or Yari pike additions to give different looks to all my current stock (2 Bellicose..one red, one blue... two prophecy, violet... those are the main ones with sound... ).

The way the DM fits in my gloved hand without the chevan shroud is pretty amazing.  I took a year of fencing in college and did many many years of escrima.  I'm particular about hilts.  I didn't think I'd find one that lived up the feel of the prophecy, but the Dark Mantis without that cheven shroud really is sweet.  I find I transfer my grips from fencers to escrima with ease... the Mantis might be the easiest fencing based saber of them all.

Jensaarai Force Warrior

DF's Dark Mantis Review

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: