Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Advice: Consular, Graflex, or Archon 3.1?  (Read 1400 times)
Bri-Gon Vodka
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 25, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »

Greetings.  I have yet to purchase an Ultrasaber, but it's only a matter of time until I do.  I would appreciate any input in helping me in my decision.  I know that I will choose among the Graflex SE, Consular, and Archon 3.1.  What are the pros and cons of each saber?  What do you love or loathe?  I am a huge fan of Luke Skywalker, but I also like Qui-Gon Jinn.  Also, I am not an expert duelist, but I hope to change that fact in the near future.  Thank you for reading, and have great day!

Bri-Gon

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

Well, I don't know know about going through all the points on every saber; you can find a LOT of Reviews on each in the Forum with the following method:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32774.0

I would personally recommend the Consular out of that trio.

It's an extremely comfortable hilt to wield . . .

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32203.0

. . . and it's also really versatile . . .

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33227.0  (a lot of my combos on here are based off the Consular body).

I have a Graflex CE, and I love it, but it's not as comfortable or versatile as the Consular and since this is your first, I would go with that.

Hope that helps!  Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll love it.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »

If you're going to duel with it, go with the Consular.

I'm personally not a fan of either the Graflex or Archon 3.1 (haven't tried a 2.1 though) because I cannot find a really comfortable grip on either one, either one or two handed.  The Graflex has too many bits sticking out for my taste, and the Archon 3.1 doesn't have an upper grip I find comfortable for two handed, and a comfortable one handed grip is too low on the hilt (below the emitter neck) for my tastes.

For cosplay or display, the Archon 3.1 and Graflex are both works of art, and both are combat capable (I've used my Archon 3.1 hitting moderately hard with no issues, but I probably wouldn't go as hard as I would with other Sabers).  They just don't work for my fighting style/preferences.

The Comsular, on the other hand, works just fine.  I know it's not as "fancy" as the others, but I always prefer functional comfort first, and pretty looks are just a bonus if I can manage to get them.

No matter what you get, I always recommend a heavy grade blade, especially if you'll be dueling, at sound with least an Obsidian v3 (though the v4 is definitely worth the $10 upgrade, but I don't recommend the Obsidian Lite), and a recharge port (yes it's expensive, but I get it on all of my sound sabers because it's worth it to me. Being able to just plug in the saber to recharge the batteries is very convenient, and I don't have to worry about taking the battery pack/speaker board out every time they need to charge).

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »

You're hearing from two veteran members, so the above advice is very sound (pun intended).

I only own the Consular, and not to jump on the bandwagon, but I love it and it would be my choice for anybody considering the 3 you're considering. Here's my review of it: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32126.0

I think along the same lines as Vivectius--when I look for a saber, I look for functional comfort. If I can't see myself wielding it with ease, then maybe that's not the saber for me. I have heard that finding a comfortable gripping point can sometimes be a little challenge for the Graflex or Archon 3.1 (I have heard the opposite about the 2.1 version).

In terms of price, the Consular is also the most affordable, which maybe can free up your funds to purchase more "extras" like av switches (a standard for me as they look better and are more comfortable than the guarded switches). It's also fully MHS compatible, which is a plus if you're into mixing and matching parts.

My second choice would be the Archon 3.1 as it's a beaut, and I'd pick up a V2.1 emitter so I'd have two sabers in one!

You'll be happy with w/e you decide to get, though! Good luck!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »

I think along the same lines as Vivectius--when I look for a saber, I look for functional comfort. If I can't see myself wielding it with ease, then maybe that's not the saber for me. I have heard that finding a comfortable gripping point can sometimes be a little challenge for the Graflex or Archon 3.1 (I have heard the opposite about the 2.1 version).

In terms of price, the Consular is also the most affordable, which maybe can free up your funds to purchase more "extras" like av switches (a standard for me as they look better and are more comfortable than the guarded switches). It's also fully MHS compatible, which is a plus if you're into mixing and matching parts.

This is exactly how I feel out of the choices mentioned and would vouch for the Consular as first choice.  I have one but can't add any more beyond what's already been said about it.

And you know what it is a very attractive hilt but looks less blingy because of the black body section.  ALSO, US provides some very hefty discounts for the Consular every so often which helps you save a lot on your purchase.

As for the Graflex and Archon V3.1 - they lag behind in comfort and good handling which, like the others, is a priority for me.

My second suggestion would be the Graflex as it's rated for full combat - the Archon V3.1 only med-light because of the thin neck.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:31 PM »

I wouldn't choose any of those three if you're looking to dueling and swinging them around. I break lightsabers into two categories:

1. sabers made for looks
and
2. sabers made for swinging around

My wife has a consular, and the problem I have with it is that it is bulky and heavy, and therefore clunky to wield.

The sabers that I find pleasurable to swing and spin tend to look a bit plain (but they're a lot cheaper!), since they are designed for function rather than form. Sabers like the Apprentice v4, Initiate v3, Initiate v4, etc.

I thought my wife's Initiate v4 was ugly at first, but with the Catalyst pommel added, it is really growing on me, and it is a fun little saber to swing around. I would suggest taking another look at the lower end, simpler sabers.

Or just buy one of everything. Cool

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »

On the other hand, I say in my review that the Consular is far easier to wield without the shroud. Without the shroud, it's probably my best saber in terms of function (except maybe for my Dark Prophecy) in my collection. Not to push the Consular more--there's plenty of love for the other sabers you've had your eyes on.

Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)

Bri-Gon Vodka
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:19 AM »

Thank you all for your feedback.  My instincts were pulling me toward the Consular.  I'm just STILL so darn excited about the Skywalker saber's appearance in "The Force Awakens" that the Graflex is still a possibility.  Hopefully, I will be able to afford both someday.  Again, thank you for your advice.  I have tried to give the appropriate Force level points to you all.

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »

Knowing how addicting this hobby becomes, I won't be surprised if you get both someday Tongue. Good luck on your purchase!

Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »

I'd go with the Consular first. I love the Archon V2.1 though, I can get a pretty good grip on that one due to the wider neck. I got the V2.1 for dueling purposes, still also makes a great show piece/belt hanger too though. I got mine sort of all canon colors, silver pommel green blade Tongue I'm gonna have to get me a Consular eventually. I do still want me a few more movie style sabers in my collection. Can't really say much about the Consular though, no one I knew out in Colorado had one nor the Graflex so. I was the only one with an Archon V2.1 saber I think Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: