Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy v3 review  (Read 2404 times)
HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« on: March 26, 2017, 02:16:03 AM »

Received my Prophecy v3 a week ago, and I think I've swung it around long enough to do a little review.

I got it as a stunt for now, with the intention of upgrading it later on. So I took what options would allow me to enjoy it in the meantime. I got Tri Consular Green, and a silver non-illuminated switch. The plan was to get the sound and battery upgrade at the same time in the future. On a side note, this plan has since been foiled with the release of the Emperor's Hand, which I fell in love with.

Anyway, I'll be reviewing this in a similar way I reviewed my Aeon v4 LE, thus make some comparisons along the way as well. For now, here's my new saber.  Grin

HILT
One reason I chose the Prophecy was that I feld it just had the right amount of detail. I like how it's not as fancy as the other sabers, but a closer look can make you say "oh, this is actuall pretty nice." The gold thumb screws, for example, are simple yet provide a great accent. One of the most underrated pieces here IMO is the pommel. I just love the pommel. It's so low-profile but gives a really nice accent to the grooved part of the hilt. I wish there was a vented version of this that wasn't completely open. The lack of this was actually the main reason I opted to hold off on the sound in the meantime.

I noticed that it was very shiny in person, but doesn't look like it in photos - a contrast to my Aeon which looked really shiny on camera but a little less stellar in person. I also expected it to be lightweight, but it feels just as heavy, if not heavier, than my Aeon. Suffice to say I just love the design on this thing.

ELECTRONICS AND BATTERY LIFE
Normally, the first thing one would do is to fire it up. The first thing I did was shake the hilt violently. I became very paranoid with the rattling in my Aeon, and I heard none here. Perhaps it's the size of the hilt, but the LED and the battery pack were snug.

Regarding the batteries, my Aeon's stock batteries are still kicking, albeit the light is getting dimmer now. With the Prophecy having a Tri-LED, batteries do seem to get eaten quickly, as I've seen a slight dimming over a week. Still, no complaints so far on that account.

BLADE AND COLOR
I got the 32" blade this time. Still UE, since I am planning on getting all UE versions before regular grade blades. After getting used to the 36" blade on my longer Aeon, spinning the 32" blade on a shorter Prophecy felt a little awkward at first. I will probably go back to the 36" in the future. In fact, I've tried switching the blades out with my Aeon. While the Prophecy looked fine with the 36" blade, I thought the Aeon looked a bit odd with the shorter one. I always thought of and got used to the Aeon as a two-hander, so I'll keep the longer blade on it.

Another reason I kept the shorter blade on the Prophecy is, well, just in case it's not noticeable, the blade I got was slightly BENT.

This annoyed me at first, until I realized that with the design of the Prophecy and its slanted emitter, you can clearly tell where the front and the back of the saber was. So I turned the blade a few degrees. Now I have my little katana saber. Which is great because I remembered this great review, where the Prophecy sat side by side an actual katana - and the measurements line up:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31707.0

With the color, I have no complaines. The Tri-LED is extremely bright. I am now very curious as to how bright it would be if I had Li-Ion I've heard it's even brighter, though more power-hungry. For now, it looks amazing, and can really light up a pitch-dark room.

GRIP, COMFORT, AND HANDLING
I read that when it comes to comfort, it almost always boils down to the Prophecies, the Sentinels (or their smaller siblings), and the Aeonv2s and v3s. I only have the Prophecy (for now), and I can confirm its comfort. The first time I held it, the hand just slid into place. Some might be bothered with the thumb screws for spinning, but I personally do not have any trouble with them as I have smaller hands and my grip rarely goes up that high.

The covertec wheel, however, is another story. I requested it to be installed to the right of the switch, but it was left at its default...err.. left side. It's a bummer, since it does get in the way of the hand when going two-handed. Then again, it's not something I can't work around. With my Aeon, I found myself gripping the saber in a way that my pinkie or ring finger rests on and activates the switch. I can probably do the same with this when I decide to go two-handed. For now, it's a one-hander for me.

The handling is excellent. I expected the hilt to be lightweight since that's all I hear about with the Prophecy. But for some reason, and maybe this is just me, it feels heavy. Maybe it's because it's just compact, so it feels more solid.

VERDICT
Covertec placement and bent blade aside, I love this thing. This was one of the hilts I always wanted, and I promized to myself that when I finally get this I can stop getting sabers. Its price point was going to be the farthest I could go too, with sound and all. But then US had other plans and just had to the release the EH. But that's a topic for another review time.

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:42:05 AM »

Nice review! Refreshing to see a Green Prophecy instead of the default blue. +1

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:45:59 AM »

Yup. Very nice. I like to see different blade color Prophecies as well Tongue I know I'm mostly a blue Jedi but might have to get me one with a green blade as well at some point. You could have gone with the Overlord pommel though, has sort of the same design and is great for sound too since its low profile. tried it a few times when I had my Bellicose with sound forever ago

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »

A Prophecy in green is just perfect- well done. Thanks for the review and good job for making the most out of the bent blade.

I ordered one for the Spring Raffle and I can't wait to get it.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Desmond Falakei
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

Jensaarai Force Warrior

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »

The prophecy is one of my favorite hilts.  It is very easy to wield.  I am tempted to purchase shorter blades for mine (32").  Green is very awesome looking, congrats on the purchase!

Shadows are just negative space reversed.

Jensaarai Force Warrior

Light v Dark - Without one, there is no other
DF's Dark Mantis Review

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »

Wow, that looks so good! I concur with what SFW said that the Prophecy truly loves the green.  I just happen to receive one as well as a grab bag saber and was surprised to get one as a grab bag, first of all, but secondly, that they put green on it! I was delighted! You should get a Dark Prophecy with Tri Arctic Blue next. It's quite vibrant like this one.  Point to you.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »

Nice review! Refreshing to see a Green Prophecy instead of the default blue. +1

Thanks! Seeing a lot of blues on YouTube is precisely the reason I wanted it in green. Other than the fact that I like green, I was curious to see how it would look like. Now I look around the forums and see a lot of green Prophecies  Cheesy

Yup. Very nice. I like to see different blade color Prophecies as well Tongue I know I'm mostly a blue Jedi but might have to get me one with a green blade as well at some point. You could have gone with the Overlord pommel though, has sort of the same design and is great for sound too since its low profile. tried it a few times when I had my Bellicose with sound forever ago

I actually considered that pommel it for a long time! But I wanted the pommel to be just like the Prophecy's. As in, I want it to be thinner than the lower grip section of the hilt. Or just as thin as its choke points, if that makes sense. Not sure that's how the Overlord pommel measures up >.<

A Prophecy in green is just perfect- well done. Thanks for the review and good job for making the most out of the bent blade.

I ordered one for the Spring Raffle and I can't wait to get it.
Oh you're gonna love it!

The prophecy is one of my favorite hilts.  It is very easy to wield.  I am tempted to purchase shorter blades for mine (32").  Green is very awesome looking, congrats on the purchase!
Thanks! I gotta say, I probably will go back to the 36" if I can get another one. I just prefer it even though I'm a small dude. Only reason I'm staying with the 32" is that my other saber looks weird with a short and bent blade. That and I can swing the Prophecy indoors without worrying about breaking anything.

Wow, that looks so good! I concur with what SFW said that the Prophecy truly loves the green.  I just happen to receive one as well as a grab bag saber and was surprised to get one as a grab bag, first of all, but secondly, that they put green on it! I was delighted! You should get a Dark Prophecy with Tri Arctic Blue next. It's quite vibrant like this one.  Point to you.
Been thinking about making this purchase for a while, and it was your grab bag that really got me to pull the trigger.  Grin
And yes, a Dark Prophecy is definitely on my list now.

Thanks and points to all of you!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:19:01 AM »

Been thinking about making this purchase for a while, and it was your grab bag that really got me to pull the trigger.  Grin
And yes, a Dark Prophecy is definitely on my list now.

Thanks and points to all of you!
Ah! Cool! I love how much help we can give each other here. Love this place. Thanks for the point!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »

Overlord pommel isn't bad actually. It'd match the width of the saber more though. I'll get some pictures up with it on my Dominix V3 saber to kinda show what I mean this week and any other sabers on my list you'd like to see the my Overlord pommel on =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »

Very nice. I have an Archon classic pommel on my Prophecy v3.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »

You guys knew I had to show up sometime and show my approval!  Just gifted a very similar one to my Assistant Coach, and she loved it.  Great taste!

buddygroove
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -116

Darth Havek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »

Very nice. Mine is on it's way. I was debating on Artic blue or councilor green. After seeing yours I wish I went with green.  Tongue +1

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:39 PM »

Thanks again everyone!

@buddygroove
Dude, Arctic Blue was my second choice for this saber. I'm sure it'll look great. Post pics when you get it!

buddygroove
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -116

Darth Havek

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:42 AM »

I plan on it. Suppose to be here tomorrow so I'll be staying for the day waiting for it.  Grin Grin

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »

+1 point. I am happy that you are happy with your Prophecy V3. I also love all of my Dark Prophecies. This hilt is simply amazing. Everyone should own one. Great in depth review.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: