Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Diamond/Obsidian + Two RGBW LEDs?  (Read 1864 times)
projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« on: March 26, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »

I can't for the life of me find the data sheet Emory posted about the technical specifications of the Diamond board, but I'm wondering if it can handle having two RGBW LEDs wired up to it. This would be in a staff configuration, where there would only be one board and two LED modules that would be synchronized.

Is the power draw too much for the board? Is it only something that could be done if wired directly to a battery?
I'm considering making a Diamond staff, but having two boards would get pretty expensive.

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

In time you will call me master

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »

I can't for the life of me find the data sheet Emory posted about the technical specifications of the Diamond board, but I'm wondering if it can handle having two RGBW LEDs wired up to it. This would be in a staff configuration, where there would only be one board and two LED modules that would be synchronized.

Is the power draw too much for the board? Is it only something that could be done if wired directly to a battery?
I'm considering making a Diamond staff, but having two boards would get pretty expensive.

Heres the page with the datasheet download link. Scroll down, its the 2nd link.
https://www.ultrasabers.com/sabers-with-diamond-s/211.htm

A Diamond staff. You are a mad scientist aren't you lol

Dark Mantis-Blazing red-Obsidian V4
Chosen one- Obsidian V4/Emerald driver
Dark Monarch-Diamond controller

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »

Heres the page with the datasheet download link. Scroll down, its the 2nd link.
https://www.ultrasabers.com/sabers-with-diamond-s/211.htm

A Diamond staff. You are a mad scientist aren't you lol

Well I figure if I downsize my collection to just one, all powerful staff/long hilted single blades saber, with color changing ability, then I wouldn't have much need for any other sabers (except that beautiful Graflex 2.0...which I may have mentioned somewhere else recently).

The only issue I see with having a single Diamond staff is that I couldn't use a quick release coupler in the middle to have two sabers, unless I wanted many broken wires and two dead hilts. Realistically I don't dual wield, but I like the versatility. Either that or one really long, ~17" single blade/staff

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »

Either that or one really long, ~17" single blade/staff

Hey Maul did it in his first fight with Qui-Gon on Tatooine. If its good enough for Maul..... Grin

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:23:48 AM »

Hey Maul did it in his first fight with Qui-Gon on Tatooine. If its good enough for Maul..... Grin

Nothing like G-canon evidence to support your points  Grin does anyone even remember when canon was organized in layers? G(eorge) canon for the movies, then C canon for the tv shows I think, then games and so on...it was so complex Shocked

On a more related note, I bet Maul had a ton of leverage with a 24" hilt using only one blade   Cheesy

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 06:27:57 AM »

On a more related note, I bet Maul had a ton of leverage with a 24" hilt using only one blade   Cheesy

That's why Qui-Gon got outta there so fast lol

Deuce808
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »

I completely don't know any of the names but...in one of the trailers for SWTOR when the mother is trying to recuse the kid and fights on the docking platform she uses a very long hilt with a shortish blade.  If the yari extensions' grooves matched a saber I would've had one by now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »

I completely don't know any of the names but...in one of the trailers for SWTOR when the mother is trying to recuse the kid and fights on the docking platform she uses a very long hilt with a shortish blade.  If the yari extensions' grooves matched a saber I would've had one by now!

I'd say the closest match might be the initiate V4. I have one but not an extension, nor am I familiar with its markings off the top of my head enough to compare it

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »

Yea, a lot of the lightsaber is influenced by the Japanese Katana, which had a lot of similar variants. The Shinobigatana and Ko-Katana were Katana's with shorter blades but a full size or even longer Tsuka. Sometimes as long as 14 to 16 inches.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »

Sound is an issue you need to consider. Where is the sound going to come out? Couplers act as sound vents for the two hilts. Moving to a single hilt, double bladed, you dont have that coupler, so will have to find a way around that to allow the sound to escape the hilt.

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »

Sound is an issue you need to consider. Where is the sound going to come out? Couplers act as sound vents for the two hilts. Moving to a single hilt, double bladed, you dont have that coupler, so will have to find a way around that to allow the sound to escape the hilt.

A good point, but sound could be vented from anywhere on the body either discreetly or non discreetly. I would use a flush coupler section just to have the vents placed nicely in the middle, and the soundboard would be offset most likely into one of the "halves". The coupler would also act as a windowed area for an accent-lighted crystal chamber.

I'm still tempted to make it a 17" quick release hilt, though those would be very small dual hilts. And I'd have to use two boards, which isn't out of the question but I'd rather not. Not until I sell all my current sabers at least.

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:38 AM »

Yes you can, but ONY if the two LEDs are identical and you match the colors exactly (wire both Reds in parallel to PowerLED1, both Greens in parallel to PowerLED2, and so on). Let me underline this: in parallel, that is both LED's + to Diamond's + and both LED's - to Diamond's -. The batteries won't provide enough voltage to correctly drive the LEDs in series.

The board is protected so unless there's a short circuit in wiring, you can't burn it. But keep in mind that you'll only get about 71% intensity: the maximum current the Diamond can drive to each channel is 1000 mA (you can change it using the Launcher, by default it is set to 700 mA). If you run two LEDs in parallel at 1000 mA, you'll get about 500 mA / LED, so you'll get about 71% of the full intensity, which is at 700 mA. Also, if one LED is disconnected or burnt, all the 1000 mA will run through the good LED so you might burn it.

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »

Yes you can, but ONY if the two LEDs are identical and you match the colors exactly (wire both Reds in parallel to PowerLED1, both Greens in parallel to PowerLED2, and so on). Let me underline this: in parallel, that is both LED's + to Diamond's + and both LED's - to Diamond's -. The batteries won't provide enough voltage to correctly drive the LEDs in series.

The board is protected so unless there's a short circuit in wiring, you can't burn it. But keep in mind that you'll only get about 71% intensity: the maximum current the Diamond can drive to each channel is 1000 mA (you can change it using the Launcher, by default it is set to 700 mA). If you run two LEDs in parallel at 1000 mA, you'll get about 500 mA / LED, so you'll get about 71% of the full intensity, which is at 700 mA. Also, if one LED is disconnected or burnt, all the 1000 mA will run through the good LED so you might burn it.

Thank you for the advice, that's very helpful information. I would've assumed to run them in parallel (by making Y-splits from every LED wire?), and I haven't considered maximum draw. Since everything but red can run at 1000ma that would mean they'd be even less bright, and brightness is a huge factor for me. Thanks again, point.

That gives me an excuse just to get two Diamond boards then  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: