Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: G'day from Australia  (Read 3608 times)
WRXV8S
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 26, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »

My name is Mark and I have lived lightsabers since I saw them back and in the early to mid 70's. my father is an electronics engineer and so can give me a few pointers. I am about to embark upon building my first saber and found this site and forum so hopefully can get a few pointers if needs be! I am new to this so be kind and hopefully I can wrap my head around it all! Also just curious as to what would be a great saber to build for a newbie. Thanks in advance!

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »

Hey there  WRXV8S (Mark)!

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

Awesome that you're looking to jump right in, and build your own saber. Grin

Any hilt would make an excellent first one - it all comes down to personal taste, and what you'd like to use it for...

I will say that a hilt that has a removable emitter (fully MHS compatible) would be slightly easier...I find that to be the case at least.

I suppose, on a basic level, it really does boil down to how many internals you intend to add, and your desired use...

There a an absolute ton of friendly, knowledgeable people on here who'll aid you at any point along the way. Smiley

Any particular hilt that's caught your eye?

Again - welcome, and hope to see you around. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »

Welcome from a fellow Aussie Smiley hope you enjoy your build and this new hobby!

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »

Hi from Brisbane!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you have fun with your build  Grin

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Tu'iea vidta siurk kia stotaz galez navasji ant tu'iea armnera kia tave Irus Garthaz ax tave Jen' Garthaz vi ilsir pobe hevilani is braizas.
(Your saber choice to build may depend on your inclination to the Light Side or the Dark Side as there are subtle differences in styling.)

Galez Akuyi Buti Su J'us!
(May The Force Be With You!)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »

Hey there, Mark! Welcome to SaberForum. Nice to have a builder join us. I've never built one myself, but my impressions from those who have, and there are many here, is that it's a very rewarding, albeit frustrating at times, experience that results in a lightsaber build you can proudly call your own. From my own limited perspective, I agree with Lord Rapine that I would definitely go with a full MHS compatible hilt (emitter, body and pommel) that would probably give you more canvas to work with now during the build as well as simple mods later to change it up a little bit. I'd also recommend getting one that already supports quick disconnect MLS LEDs in the store, because that would be like an additional blueprint for you to work from knowing they already support it and then you can change out your LEDs to different colors later.  With those amateur tips in mind, I would recommend one of the following:

1. Archon V2.1
2. Shock
3. Consular
4. Arbiter
5. Overlord

And with an activation box making it a bit more interesting: the Emperor's Hand (this one Rapine could probably share some valuable insight on, since he just built one himself   Wink)

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:54:33 PM »

G'day from down in Victoria  Smiley

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »

Thanks for the nod LB. Smiley

The Consular is apparently a great hilt to work with - so I hear...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:16 AM »

Thanks for the nod LB. Smiley

The Consular is apparently a great hilt to work with - so I hear...
Ah you betcha.  Grin your build of the Emperor's Hand turned out awesome btw. Most impressive, dude.

WRXV8S
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:01 AM »

Hey there  WRXV8S (Mark)!

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

Awesome that you're looking to jump right in, and build your own saber. Grin

Any hilt would make an excellent first one - it all comes down to personal taste, and what you'd like to use it for...

I will say that a hilt that has a removable emitter (fully MHS compatible) would be slightly easier...I find that to be the case at least.

Thanks for the reply so quickly and will take onboard the suggestions!

I suppose, on a basic level, it really does boil down to how many internals you intend to add, and your desired use...

There a an absolute ton of friendly, knowledgeable people on here who'll aid you at any point along the way. Smiley

Any particular hilt that's caught your eye?

Again - welcome, and hope to see you around. Smiley

WRXV8S
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »

Hey there, Mark! Welcome to SaberForum. Nice to have a builder join us. I've never built one myself, but my impressions from those who have, and there are many here, is that it's a very rewarding, albeit frustrating at times, experience that results in a lightsaber build you can proudly call your own. From my own limited perspective, I agree with Lord Rapine that I would definitely go with a full MHS compatible hilt (emitter, body and pommel) that would probably give you more canvas to work with now during the build as well as simple mods later to change it up a little bit. I'd also recommend getting one that already supports quick disconnect MLS LEDs in the store, because that would be like an additional blueprint for you to work from knowing they already support it and then you can change out your LEDs to different colors later.  With those amateur tips in mind, I would recommend one of the following:

1. Archon V2.1
2. Shock
3. Consular
4. Arbiter
5. Overlord

And with an activation box making it a bit more interesting: the Emperor's Hand (this one Rapine could probably share some valuable insight on, since he just built one himself   Wink)

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Thank you Lord Bladewraith for your invaluable insight into this. I will keep you all posted and I will probably start with the Consular hilt as this has some "Dark" tones but is still in my opinion a Jedi Light saber (if I can put it that way)....Any way looking forward to some head-scratching moments and just reading a number of posts from other builders that have gone before me I will take onboard as Mitch as I need at this stage.  My ultimate build will be the Fulcrum and Lost Gray!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »

Thank you Lord Bladewraith for your invaluable insight into this. I will keep you all posted and I will probably start with the Consular hilt as this has some "Dark" tones but is still in my opinion a Jedi Light saber (if I can put it that way)....Any way looking forward to some head-scratching moments and just reading a number of posts from other builders that have gone before me I will take onboard as Mitch as I need at this stage.  My ultimate build will be the Fulcrum and Lost Gray!

Consular is an excellent choice. You really get two sabers in one, once you remove the shroud. It was the first saber I ever bought and is one of the most versatile hilts in my collection. After you remove the emitter, pommel and shroud, you're really left with a simple, but effective back body that will work with anything. I'm looking at modding mine to make a Kyle Katarn saber.  Just need to get a silver shroud now to replace my nickel finish shroud, because the latter limits combinations with other non-Nickel finish MHS parts unless they're black.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »

Welcome. This is a great community, and tons of fun. I've never built a saber, but there are plenty of people here that have. If you have any questions feel free to ask. There is a Search Function (picture with magnifying glass) that you can utilize to see if you can find some answers you are looking for. If you don't find them there, go ahead and ask. Someone will very quickly come along.

Again, welcome.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley Pleased to have you with us!

We love seeing self-builds here. I second any of Lord B's recommendations, but the Overlord and Shock are that bit more personal as original designs, so may be more to your taste - and don't forget, you don't have to buy a single hilt; You can order separate emitters, bodies and pommels to truly make your hilt your own Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:35 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums,  The Consular ( Qui-Gon Gin inspired) saber will be a great one! It is next on my wish list. Good luck on your build. MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: