Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Simplified Emerald Version  (Read 3971 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: March 28, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »

So, the Emerald can do a ton of stuff, but I had kind of an idea to make it more simple and accessible to less tech-savvy users, and potentially replace the RGB option entirely. I was thinking the Emerald/Diamond driver could have a feature added to cycle through colors via a button. Maybe it cycles colors when the main button is pressed briefly (not held to turn it on or off), or when a separate button is pushed. That would allow even the smaller sabers to be RGB style. The colors could be pre-programmed by Ultrasabers before the lightsaber goes out and people could choose 9 or 10 from a list of standard and forum colors - BR, FO, GB, CG, SY, VA, DVA, BH, SRD, HP, AB, AS etc.

There'd be no need to access the emerald driver with this option, allowing for other positioning options, and I'm virtually certain that people would buy it and pay extra for it. I know I would. The ability to cycle through a bunch of colors you pick out while only having to add one button to the saber would be huge. I'd sell my Manticore so I could get one with the new option!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »

So, the Emerald can do a ton of stuff, but I had kind of an idea to make it more simple and accessible to less tech-savvy users, and potentially replace the RGB option entirely. I was thinking the Emerald/Diamond driver could have a feature added to cycle through colors via a button. Maybe it cycles colors when the main button is pressed briefly (not held to turn it on or off), or when a separate button is pushed. That would allow even the smaller sabers to be RGB style. The colors could be pre-programmed by Ultrasabers before the lightsaber goes out and people could choose 9 or 10 from a list of standard and forum colors - BR, FO, GB, CG, SY, VA, DVA, BH, SRD, HP, AB, AS etc.

There'd be no need to access the emerald driver with this option, allowing for other positioning options, and I'm virtually certain that people would buy it and pay extra for it. I know I would. The ability to cycle through a bunch of colors you pick out while only having to add one button to the saber would be huge. I'd sell my Manticore so I could get one with the new option!

If it was a matter of paying more, I think people would jump to the Diamond board. I don't think US would go your route (however good of an idea it is. I like it) since they're probably going to put emphasis on the new Diamond Controller which is only a $30 price jump for a lot more features.

I wonder if US would ever consider even phasing out emerald, once they've pushed all their inventory. I imagine not since they offer emerald without sound, which I now realize is what you were probably referencing in the first place. I'm not sure if they'd do a second button. Is the emerald board even controlled by a button? Momentary or latching? I suppose if it was momentary and without sound, they could program it to change color instead of the lock up effect. Does that come with emerald without sound? I don't think they'd change the functionality of that if it wouldn't be the same if there was sound.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »

Alright, so a couple of things that I couldn't help thinking of while I read these:

1. US has just likely spent a TON of time and effort devising the Diamond controller and all of its amazing features.  We can already change the blade colour AND sound with the twist of our wrist...I honestly can't see them rewriting the firmware for the Emerald driver right now.

2. Selling individual coloured sabers is kind of US's bread and butter, so including every colour with every saber would create a huge loss.  I honestly can't see that happening either.

I can see phasing out an option though, but not at the expense of sales.  It is a business, before everything else. Wink

+1 for thinking outside the box though, JdiKnhtJMH - not bad ideas - from a consumer point of view. Tongue

-1 for projectno253 as well - just 'cause I like your shirt. Roll Eyes

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »

If they did that to Emerald, they'd have to charge more and a lot of people already can't afford it.  That's why there's an RGB option, it's kind of a poorer person's color changing option.  It costs considerably less than Emerald.

1. US has just likely spent a TON of time and effort devising the Diamond controller and all of its amazing features.  We can already change the blade colour AND sound with the twist of our wrist...I honestly can't see them rewriting the firmware for the Emerald driver right now.

This also occurred to me.

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »

Alright, so a couple of things that I couldn't help thinking of while I read these:

2. Selling individual coloured sabers is kind of US's bread and butter, so including every colour with every saber would create a huge loss.  I honestly can't see that happening either.

I can see phasing out an option though, but not at the expense of sales.  It is a business, before everything else. Wink

+1 for thinking outside the box though, JdiKnhtJMH - not bad ideas - from a consumer point of view. Tongue

-1 for projectno253 as well - just 'cause I like your shirt. Roll Eyes

I agree about the phasing out. As long as people keep buying emerald with or without sound, they'd have no reason to discontinue it. It offers more price points and options for the consumer, which US seems to be very proud of relative to others, and that translates to more sales.

And thanks for the sartorial compliment  Grin

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:00:58 AM »

I was kind of thinking of more of an Emerald-Light sort of option, like the Obsydian light one we have now. Itd just be really awesome to see a simplified Emerald style board that could replace RGB with one or two buttons.

Thats true, Emerald costs a good bit. Its pretty comparable to RGB though and I'm seriously considering getting it on a Manticore at some point, just the having to hook it up to a laptop to change the color thing is the sticking point for me - I just like things simple and easy, and I wouldnt want my laptop anywhere near a lightsaber duel haha.

Thats true, Diamond isnt all that much more than Emerald, I think a lower cost RGB type Emerald thing would be really cool, something to simplify it for those who arent part of the Lightsaber elite haha. I mean US has never exactly been a mass market company, but if you look at Kyberlight, they have the option to scroll through colors with just a button tap, and I think thats a great market point, especially since US' sabers are better than Kyberlight in so many ways, itd be good to make them more accessible. We kind of live in a bubble here where we talk lightsaber customizations all day, but I think even many lightsabver buys arent looking for that much customization and complication.

2. Selling individual coloured sabers is kind of US's bread and butter, so including every colour with every saber would create a huge loss.  I honestly can't see that happening either.

Oh I wasnt suggesting they only sell sabers wit hthat, I LOVE my single color sabers and there are sabers that wouldnt work with every color. Who owns a consular green Reaper? I was suggesting phasing out RGB and adding sort of an Emerald Light board that could be controlled iwth the main button or, at most, one additional button to cycle colors. I want to get somethiong like that on a  Manticore which is too small for RGB, so I guess I have ulterior motives too.

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

Galactic Overlord
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:42 AM »

My guess is they'll end up phasing out the Emerald, or at least reducing their stockpile of it. I can't imagine Emerald sabers without sound is a big seller.

They had a $25 off sale on Emerald sabers right before the release of the Diamond. If Emeralds continue to be offered on sale, that's what that would probably mean.

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 700

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:29 AM »

We are not phasing out Emerald.  Ever.  For the sole reason that it is available without sound.

But having great dealings with both components, if you are purchasing a Limitless Saber with Sound then there is no question the Diamond Controller is the better buy.  Rather you are looking for a simplified or non simplified experience.  The Diamond Controller is superior to the Emerald Driver in every way and the gestures add a whole different element to the lightsaber experience that you can't articulate.  The experience speaks for itself.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »

We are not phasing out Emerald.  Ever.  For the sole reason that it is available without sound.

But having great dealings with both components, if you are purchasing a Limitless Saber with Sound then there is no question the Diamond Controller is the better buy.  Rather you are looking for a simplified or non simplified experience.  The Diamond Controller is superior to the Emerald Driver in every way and the gestures add a whole different element to the lightsaber experience that you can't articulate.  The experience speaks for itself.

I'm definitely looking to get a diamond saber then, ease of use and simplicity is my main concern. That's why I had the idea of something like an emerald-lite option that could do the job of RGB without needing to install so many buttons, so I could get me a Manticore with a few colors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: