Author Topic: Kenobi  (Read 5120 times)
Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« on: March 31, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »

Consider this a rumor for now . . .

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/do-not-post-lucasfilms-post-star-wars-episode-ix-plans.html

. . . and there's a lot of info in there, but the big takeaway for me was:

Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of Lucasfilm fully intend to make an Obi-Wan movie set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with Ewan McGregor in tow.

[snip]

Lastly, the source told me that he thinks that an announcement for this one is forthcoming in the next few weeks:

An announcement of an Obi-Wan movie might just be one of the big surprises at Celebration Orlando.

And it’s not just a gut feeling:

This possibility is supported by the existence of a few materials that were made in conjunction with the event.

Like I said . . . there is a LOT of info in there, some that I expect others will be a lot more interested in than Kenobi . . . but for me, Ewan was by far the best part of the Prequels and Obi Wan is my favorite character in Clone Wars.

I've been a big proponent of using the Anthologies to tell new stories and not just fill in the blanks of familiar scenarios, but an Obi Wan movie is something I am totally on board with.   Cool

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:24:03 AM »

Oh ya I'm all in on that idea. Ewan is going to be great.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:47:40 AM »

OK, Obi-Wan Kenobi is awesome, so is Ewan McGregor.  But, why?  I mean, how much movie potential is there in that time frame?  At this point in Obi-Wan's life, he would pretty much be living in hiding in the sands of Tattooine, watching over young Luke Skywalker.  What that was that interesting could have happened during those years that wouldn't have 1. alerted the Empire to his presence and/or 2. taken him off of Tattoine?  I mean, he was essentially in a self imposed exile, as Yoda was.  They hid from the Empire.  So, it would either go off script and not gel with established canon, or be a really boring film, in my opinion.

If you're going to do Obi-Wan, I'd like to see more young Obi-Wan.  Sure, Ewan isn't getting any younger, but there's stuff you can do.  Maybe show a young Obi-Wan struggling to train an even younger Anakin Skywalker.  There could be some kind of problem they have to deal with and, at the same time, it would further Anakin's training.  After all, there were brief references to some of their adventures (Anakin saving Obi-Wan's life) in Attack of the Clones.

Just saying.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 04:57:32 AM »

That's what I was wondering. Not much to make a story on unless you really go away from the main story. He does go in hiding.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »

I don't care what it's about, I want this movie. Not only would it be awesome to have an Obi-Wan solo film, but we would get to see Ewan in SW again. Just my opinion, but I am totally on board with this idea. Maybe bring in some stuff from Kenobi (the book). Characters, places and such, and make that book canon as well. Just a thought.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »

Interestingly enough, Ewan McGregor is actually now around the correct age be Obi-wan Kenobi in exile on Tatooine.  He is presently 46 year old.   Old Ben was supposedly 57 when he died on the Death Star, and Sir Alec Guinness turned 62 while filming in Tunisia.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

Well, with regards to the idea that Kenobi can't leave the planet, there were one or two Legends novels that saw him do just that; he had a couple adventures off-Tatooine in that Universe.

I'm pretty sure they can come up with a way he ends up on a compelling adventure off-Tatooine that doesn't strictly involve the Empire and have him gone for a long time (just look how much sh*t Kiefer Sutherland could jam pack in only 24 hours on his TV show).

Anyway, I will take this over the Han Solo movie a thousand times over; that is likely to be the first Star Wars movie I don't see in a theatre.  (Not counting the first 2, cuz, I wasn't born yet for the first and I was 2.5 when Empire came out).  Did you hear the latest on that?!?!

We are going to see "how he got his name".

That's right folks - according to Bob Iger, his real name isn't "Han Solo".

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/bob-iger-star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-details-1202015089/

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »

Well it is either going to be his alias is Han Solo, for smuggling purposes, or it is his real name, but didn't know that for reasons, perhaps pertaining to the Clone Wars.  At least one Legends version had him as a slave or something at the age of nine working some starship with a motherly Wookiee caretaker.  Han found out his name and lineage later before trying to enter the Imperial Academy.  Was a good, or at least skilled officer, before running into another Wookiee slave got him a court martial (or fleeing for his life).  Eventually ran with a cool dude named Lando and smuggled stuff for a living. Than that whole Rebellion and Princess thing happened.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »

This could be really cool - or not...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »

I totally get your rationale but for me it comes down to something much, much simpler:

Is it really necessary to tell us after the last 40 years that his real name is not Han Solo?

What exactly is that going to add to anyone's enjoyment of the character they have known & loved all this time?

The reality is also that 99% of the movie-going audience never read all those books and only know him from the 4 movies so they really won't have any of that general context going in, irregardless that Legends weren't included in the new multi-media Canon (and Legends were never Movie Canon anyway, despite what a lot of people believe).

That's just my opinion anyway.   Undecided

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

I never understood why they felt the need to kill Han off in the first place (likely the only way Ford would reprise the role).

I was kind of referring to Kenobi though...lol

I can't disagree about the knowledge base.  For either film actually.

(while "irregardless" is in fact a word - notably an American colloquialism - I find it redundant.  You've made me shiver Lord C. Tongue)

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

I never thought about that one, but you are right. Wink

It's not the worst though. A guy I worked with would always say "I don't disagree".  Drove me nuts.

But anyway, personally, I just loved Ewan as Obi Wan and I've never been a huge Canon Weenie so as long as the story is entertaining and worthy of the character, I'll totally dig it.

Actually, this probably won't work due to Rebels, but it would make me personally smile if Kenobi got wrapped up in some adventure that, had he not seen through to stop what was happening , could have brought a significant Imperial presence to Tatooine . . . and his involvement is set in motion with a chance encounter with his "old friend" Hondo.  Smiley

Ewan would be fantastic playing off Hondo.  That pirate has been my favorite comedic element in Star Wars, though much, much more so in Clone Wars than Rebels.

PS - yes, Ford did stipulate that he wanted to do it, but the character needed to be involved in a major repercussion in terms of the story.  He didn't want it just to be a nostalgia thing, save the day, then wave Bye to everyone with a smile.  Whether killing him the way they did was right will be an eternal debate - but they certainly achieved what he wanted!

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »

An obi Wan film also can explore how he learned to become a force ghost. It could be a great spiritual and personal movie for the character and also a great way to have Liam Neeson come back as Qui gon. Although we won't see qui gon cuz he can't take on a physical form he will be communicating with obi wan throughout his years in the desert.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »

I don't think it will be how Han was named, but rather how he got to be so well known (supposedly). It'll probably have something to do with the Kessel Run.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »

I am so down for an Obi Wan movie, Old Obi Wan was always my favorite character!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: