Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 179888 times)
Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »

Thanks. That is true, it is a very nice knife ... very useful ... the ultimate companion of bread and smoked sausage  Grin

Point back
I never used mine. It was strictly display only due to how much it costed. Technically my dad and I shared a collection being that he payed for a large majority of them.

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »

I have to ask this.  What is the appeal of knives versus swords ?  And especially as it pertains to wanting to collect them mostly for display purposes.  Let's try to leave other weapons/tools with any purposeful function out of the discussion.  Smiley

My first memories of owning a knife was my father giving me the bulky one that had a knife/fork/spoon also folded in it. Some kind of version of a Swiss Army camping knife.  Either he or my oldest brother owned a proper sharp tipped switchblade.  I was both nervous and fascinated with how quickly the blade snapped out.  For me knives are a meh and generally take on a more dangerous and at times darkly scary meaning as often shown in movies.  But the old west parlor ladies/saloon gals that wore a small dagger in their garter... that seems more attractive and appealing.  Wink

There is so much more flowing, expansive movement options when using swords and even a machete.  I have noticed that on the YouTube saber review videos...  that men generally tend to use a knife rather than scissors or a razor blade to open boxes and cut through the tape.  Seems kind of awkward and unsafe.  Undecided

Thanks to all for enlightening me.  Smiley

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 11:34:23 PM »

I have to ask this.  What is the appeal of knives versus swords ?  And especially as it pertains to wanting to collect them mostly for display purposes.  Let's try to leave other weapons/tools with any purposeful function out of the discussion.  Smiley

My first memories of owning a knife was my father giving me the bulky one that had a knife/fork/spoon also folded in it. Some kind of version of a Swiss Army camping knife.  Either he or my oldest brother owned a proper sharp tipped switchblade.  I was both nervous and fascinated with how quickly the blade snapped out.  For me knives are a meh and generally take on a more dangerous and at times darkly scary meaning as often shown in movies.  But the old west parlor ladies/saloon gals that wore a small dagger in their garter... that seems more attractive and appealing.  Wink

There is so much more flowing, expansive movement options when using swords and even a machete.  I have noticed that on the YouTube saber review videos...  that men generally tend to use a knife rather than scissors or a razor blade to open boxes and cut through the tape.  Seems kind of awkward and unsafe.  Undecided

1: Shiny.

2: They're sharp.

3: There's something about them that feels good. Whether this be the feel of eating an apple you've just cut with it or just having one. When a boy gets his first real knife it feels like you've moved up in the world. That's really the only way to describe it. Most people(no offense D7) who don't have the desire to have one never had a real knife. A real knife to is something that is yours. Even if they made 1 million more copies it's yours and there will never be another one like it. I'll try to phrase this from a woman's point of view. Have you ever been shopping for clothes and you see that one pair of shoes(I'm really trying) that you fall in love with the second you see it? That you have to own them because they mean something to you? That's the way I't is with a real knife. When your dad gave you that swiss army knife, did it mean something to him or did he go to the store pick it up and bring it home to you?(I am in no way trying to cross the line)

Another reason we use them for everything from cutting potatoes, to opening packages, to whittling away your worries on a piece of wood is that when you do it, you get this feeling of that you worked for that. It's a sense of accomplishment to do it. Even if it's cutting a package open. It's hard to describe so I tried my best. This feeling is multiplied to a whole new level when it's a knife given to you by someone. Especially if it meant something to them and they want it to mean something to you.

My very first pocket knife was gifted to me by my father who received it  from his father who received it from their father. I could never part with it because I hope that in the future I can give to my son if I ever have one. When it's passed down, the next owner is taught how to care for it and restore it in case they need to teach their child how to. I had to restore it from its age. It's most likely over a hundred years old and goes 5-6 generations back in my fathers family.

Try this, when you have about 30$ to spend, go down the combat store and peruse the knife selection. When you spot that one that gives an odd yet welcome feeling, pick it up flick it open, finger it, feel every grain, anything you can think of, even lightly running your finger along the edge. If It feels like it was made to your exact specifications and you can't stop looking at it, buy it. I recommend this to anyone.

I hope that answers your question D7!

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 01:07:37 AM »

Great snag Grey Owl. Smiley  I like the serrations on the back edge...

That's not serration, that's called jimping, provides a "grippier" surface on the back of the blade for your thumb, when that's an appropriate grip for the task.

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 01:24:45 AM »

That's not serration, that's called jimping, provides a "grippier" surface on the back of the blade for your thumb, when that's an appropriate grip for the task.
Thanks shade couldn't think of the name.

Does anyone know if Gerber is a good knife company?

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »

Thanks shade couldn't think of the name.

Yes, yes they are. I've had a good number of their knives, pocket, boot, multi-tool, and a few others over the years. Good solid product, not the absolute greatest in the world, but they hold up well and are usually very reasonably priced for their level of quality.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »

I don't know about collecting for display purposes, as I value functionality first and flashy/pretty/decorative never. I can only presume that people collect them the same way they do any other "collectible" that they can display and enjoy looking at.

As for opening boxes, I've always used a knife. I find it easier to use than scissors when cutting tape.

As for combat and movement, yes, swords tend to be more open in their movements.  And this works well when you have the space. However, in close quarters combat, where you don't necessarily have the space or time to use a sword, a shorter blade works much better.

I need to find the rest of my collection and post it.  A few have been handed down through the family, and a good number are purely functional. I think I only have one that could even remotely considered decorative, and it actually would hurt a great deal if you were stabbed by it. It's a solid bronze dagger made by Jody Samson. If you don't know who he was: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_Samson . And it looks like this:

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »

Yes, like Viv said, Gerber makes a very solid knife.

I've been keeping up with this thread, and it is really cool to see everybody's knives. I don't have anything pretty or unique, but I have seen some beautiful knives, and I actually know a couple of people who make Bowie knives.

I really like all medieval weapons, but especially swords and knives.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »

I never used mine. It was strictly display only due to how much it costed. Technically my dad and I shared a collection being that he payed for a large majority of them.

Maybe here it is less expensive Wink

In my case, it is not for display ... i really use my knife on a daily bases as tools for works or for food purposes ...

The Victorinox blades are very strong and can cut even some pieces of metal like old screws ... very useful in many case.
The Lagiole is for eating and cooking when i am outside  ... I think that in France, almost everybody has a pocket knife like that ... especially to open a good bottle of wine.

So, for me, a knife can not be compared to a sword as i have never thought about a knife as a weapon  Grin

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »

Oh cool - thanks shade. Smiley

Yes!
Gerber does indeed make a very fine product:

I can't find the one knife that I wanted to share yet...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »

Oh cool - thanks shade. Smiley

Yes!
Gerber does indeed make a very fine product:
http://i.imgur.com/3bYT5JN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IM7Te5V.jpg

I can't find the one knife that I wanted to share yet...

Very beautiful product Smiley

Maybe i will have one in the future Tongue

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

This is a pic I took of easily my favorite knife in my collection.  It is a 'Cold Steel' brand 'Triple Action,' and because I'm in Australia it cost waay too much.  I still love it though  Tongue
For those not in the know, it opens similar to a balisong, except the hinge is at the pommel instead of the emitter (excuse the saber terminology, but I thought it fitting  Smiley )

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »

The balisong is another type of hilt that's banned here. O_o

Love those things too...

Awesome Soul!

Schmexy. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Soul
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -115

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »

The balisong is another type of hilt that's banned here. O_o

Yep, here too.  I have a Spyderco bali-pen, a Benchmade bali-comb, and a Benchmade bali-trainer, but alas I'm not allowed to own a proper balisong  Roll Eyes

Neither Sith nor Jedi, however dark side points are appropriate

My saber: Aeon LE V4 Fire Orange stunt

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

Yep, here too.  I have a Spyderco bali-pen, a Benchmade bali-comb, and a Benchmade bali-trainer, but alas I'm not allowed to own a proper balisong  Roll Eyes

They are even banned here in california. You get caught with one of those with out an extremely good reason. You get 6 months jail time and/or a $5000 fine.
The reason I was asking about gerber is I was look at their stuff for a good camping/fishing/survival knife. I found this one but needed to know if they're worth the $44 for one knife.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: