Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 179171 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2019, 11:57:32 PM »

Hi all.  I picked up a new practice sword today from my favorite martial arts and weapons store.  Recently found out that my Ancestry DNA on my birth mother's side is Norwegian ( adopted & this I knew ), Finnish and Swedish.  Therefore I got a Viking sword to cover both the Scandinavian and Nordic cultures.  Fortunately the person that it was originally ordered for didn't want it.  It's quite heavy but has a comfortable leather two handed grip for me.  May think about doing some light engraving on the blade sometime this year.  Cheesy

Sorry for the terrible photos.  When did imgur stop their free editing other than photo size.  Hope you can see it good enough.  This is going to be a solid workout lol.  Grin

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »

Nice one Smiley !

...a comfortable leather two handed grip for me. ...
How big is it actually?
It somehow looks like one of those Viking sword where I have trouble to find a comfortable grip using one of my oversized paws Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »

Hi all.  I picked up a new practice sword today from my favorite martial arts and weapons store.  Recently found out that my Ancestry DNA on my birth mother's side is Norwegian ( adopted & this I knew ), Finnish and Swedish.  Therefore I got a Viking sword to cover both the Scandinavian and Nordic cultures.  Fortunately the person that it was originally ordered for didn't want it.  It's quite heavy but has a comfortable leather two handed grip for me.  May think about doing some light engraving on the blade sometime this year.  Cheesy

Sorry for the terrible photos.  When did imgur stop their free editing other than photo size.  Hope you can see it good enough.  This is going to be a solid workout lol.  Grin

Nice, need to make yourself a shield now

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Odion
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »

My beloved tornament sword.
99cm blade (120cm over all)
1,6kg mass

The picture was taken, when it was new, a few years ago. Today it looks way more worn Wink

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »

Nice one Smiley !
How big is it actually?
It somehow looks like one of those Viking sword where I have trouble to find a comfortable grip using one of my oversized paws Grin

Here's the specs.  Will give in approximate inches.  Total length  36 "   Hand grip  14" ( not including pommel )   Guard  5"   Blade length  27.5 "   Blade width  1.75 " with small tapering   Overall weigh 2.8 lbs ( difficult to weigh on regular scale as a lot of overhang... feels much heavier ).  Did not measure the balance.

Now know why the original purchaser may have declined this saber.  As you will see from the photo the extra length of the grip area even with a large man's or a gloved hand is still too long.  No way could this be a single handed arming sword but for me more of a secure two handed long sword.  Since I'm not Wonder Woman and her sword is smaller... there's no way that I could consider also using a shield.  But this is just a symbolic tribe sword so it's okay.  Hmm... wonder if the tang could be cut off by 5 "  to make it a one hander.  There are screws on the bottom of the pommel and also a flush pin cap.  Also it's not really that comfortable to hold in my smaller hand so may add a thicker grained leather wrap.

My opinion is that these Viking swords require brute strength and other than using for slashing and some piercing motions... just are not efficient and energy draining.  Would rather have an axe.  I'd choose a katana any day lol.   Grin

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:00:16 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

My beloved tornament sword.
99cm blade (120cm over all)
1,6kg mass

The picture was taken, when it was new, a few years ago. Today it looks way more worn Wink

I really like your sword.  That's one long cross-guard !  Please share more details and why you chose this saber style.  Smiley

point  Cool

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »

Here's the specs.  Will give in approximate inches.  Total length  36 "   Hand grip  14" ( not including pommel )   Guard  5"   Blade length  27.5 "   Blade width  1.75 " with small tapering   Overall weigh 2.8 lbs ( difficult to weigh on regular scale as a lot of overhang... feels much heavier ).  Did not measure the balance.

Now know why the original purchaser may have declined this saber.  As you will see from the photo the extra length of the hand area even with a large man's or a gloved hand is still too long.  No way could this be a single handed arming sword but for me more of a secure two handed long sword.  Since I'm not Wonder Woman and her sword is smaller... there's no way that I could consider also using a shield.  But this is just a symbolic tribe sword so it's okay.  Hmm... wonder if the tang could be cut off by 5 "  to make it a one hander.  There are screws on the bottom of the pommel and also a flush pin cap.  Also it's not really that comfortable to hold in my smaller hand so may add a thicker leather wrap.

My opinion is that these Viking swords require brute strength and other than using for slashing and some piercing motions... just are not efficient and energy draining.  Would rather have an axe.  I'd choose a katana any day lol.   Grin

Actual Viking swords were quite nimble..as specified they were generally used in conjunction with a Shield.  2.8 isn't all that heavy but since it is a blunt trainer the balance maybe off.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »

Nice Sword D. Wink

You also need a Shield to practice Viking fighting style ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »

I'm used to mostly a Katana.  These are just too heavy/bulky for me... but if the handle was shorter ( 8 - 9" )  I likely could handle this somewhat efficiently as I work out with heavier weights alot lol.  Thanks for your feedback DT.  Smiley

Hi JelBel  ( Master Seb )  Grin
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:01:21 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »

I'm used to mostly a Katana.  These are just too heavy/bulky for me... but if the handle was shorter ( 8 - 9" )  I likely could used this somewhat efficiently as I work out with heavier weights alot lol.  Thanks for your feedback DT.  Smiley

Hi JelBel  ( Master Seb )  Grin

It's been a long time My Lady  Tongue

Considering vikings, I like this vid

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiIDl_mt2c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Sorry...</a>

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2019, 09:12:07 PM »

I'm used to mostly a Katana.  These are just too heavy/bulky for me... but if the handle was shorter ( 8 - 9" )  I likely could used this somewhat efficiently as I work out with heavier weights alot lol.  Thanks for your feedback DT.  Smiley

Hi JelBel  ( Master Seb )  Grin

Ah, that makes sense.  The weight really isn't too much different between a "Viking" era sword and a Katana...BUT..they are balanced a bit different.   I studied up a bit on  "Viking" combat when I was in the SCA as Viking was my persona.  A couple of good resources if your interested are hurstwic:

http://www.hurstwic.com/

and Dimicator:

http://www.dimicator.com/

and ThegnThrand's channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThegnThrand

Shortening the hilt shouldn't be to much of an issue if you have the right tools and the tang isn't crappy.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:56 PM »

Thanks so much for the extra info Seb and DT.  Will look through all in more depth later.  Some good info shared re: Viking versus Samuri swords... but the shield gives the outcome an unbeatable edge.  I have not had any significant experience with shields of any sizes or shapes.   The long version is one that I would like to experience.  Have often wondered how easily/quickly a blade stuck in a shield could be removed and then the damage to the sword edges and overall blade integrity.  

Without removing the leather, the tang feels really solid.  There's a sword/weapons blacksmith somewhere on the island.  Will ask the Medieval group about decreasing the hilt length when at the Comic-con in March.  Might be worth the expense if possible but not sure.

appreciation points  Cheesy

I showed a photo of my Chinese Sword Breaker training sword a long time ago.  The real sword has x4 not so sharp edges and used mainly for thrusting/piercing and some direct mostly downward slashing/smashing motion to break bones and blades ( usually bend ).  Not much info found on the internet about it.  I put off purchasing the facsimile sword ( likely only from Cold Steel products ).  I can comfortably use it single but feels better double handed.  Am still fascinated about this sword and am oh so close to getting the real version for about $550 US dollars.  Can order and get one at some store in Vancouver.

What do you think and does anyone have any knowledge or info to share about this sword ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3LgwH4dZ_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_YVv0pKhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaVFufDiks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:08:20 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2019, 01:18:46 AM »

Thanks so much for the extra info Seb and DT.  Will look through all in more depth later.  Some good info shared re: Viking versus Samuri swords... but the shield gives the outcome an unbeatable edge.  I have not had any significant experience with shields of any sizes or shapes.   The long version is one that I would like to experience.  Have often wondered how easily/quickly a blade stuck in a shield could be removed and then the damage to the sword edges and overall blade integrity.  

Without removing the leather, the tang feels really solid.  There's a sword/weapons blacksmith somewhere on the island.  Will ask the Medieval group about decreasing the hilt length when at the Comic-con in March.  Might be worth the expense if possible but not sure.

appreciation points  Cheesy

I showed a photo of my Chinese Sword Breaker training sword a long time ago.  The real sword has x4 not so sharp edges and used mainly for thrusting/piercing and some direct mostly downward slashing/smashing motion to break bones and blades ( usually bend ).  Not much info found on the internet about it.  I put off purchasing the facsimile sword ( likely only from Cold Steel products ).  I can comfortably use it single but feels better double handed.  Am still fascinated about this sword and am oh so close to getting the real version for about $550 US dollars.  Can order and get one at some store in Vancouver.

What do you think and does anyone have any knowledge or info to share about this sword ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3LgwH4dZ_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_YVv0pKhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaVFufDiks

It all depends on the shields construction really...best bet though is if you get your sword stuck in a shield let it go and pull your secondary or tertiary weapon.  Many don;t realize swords themselves were usually secondary or tertiary weapons with pole weapons being the primary.  In terms of the Sword Breaker this is all I could find...

https://www.mandarinmansion.com/chinese-sword-breaker-jian

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »

Most of the sword play shown in the Detective Dee trilogy (by Tsui Hark) is based on Sword Breaker ... and the movies are awesome Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMLCCws5m8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Sorry...</a>

And I second DT on this point: sword is not a weapon that is efficient and widely used on a battlefield ... it comes after bow, spear, pole weapons ... Also, Vikings at war, like many others, use the wall of shield strategy.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »

Thanks again fellas for the Chinese Sword Breaker info.  I'm more of a lone wolf assassin and would not choose to be part of a larger group/army so imagine my primary main weapon of choice would be a sword.  Perhaps I've watched too much Highlander. Cheesy

That movie is awesome for over the top Chinese combat using many weapons and The Force lol.  Even has some fine whip action.  In the short YouTube sharings the Breaker is quite visible.  Yes... this sword is so cool and I really like the different versions.  Here's another snipit of the movie that I like.  Must see if Amazon sells this.  Detective Dee & the Mystery of the Phantom Flame ( 2011 ).  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKe0IEbQso

Just dawned on me that today is Chinese New Year... Year of the earth Pig which I think has something to do with patience.  There's a decent Chinatown and cultural centre so will go check it out.  Perhaps the museum part will have a Sword Breaker... it would be wonderful to see a real one.  Smiley

Just saw this... make your own mini one.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvaBI80WNo

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: