Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 178808 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »

That's beatiful Sam. I'd love to have pretty much any of the LOTR or Hobbit swords.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2018, 11:20:57 PM »

It’s much larger than the actual prop.  That and the hilt being so solid.  It’s kind of ridiculous looking in hand lol.

Size wise it isn't really bad, there are swords that were used in combat that were much larger.  But, its in the construction.  A sword that size...combat ready as the term goes..wouldn't and shouldn't weigh more than 4-5lbs...and that's pushing it.  But that is one of the things I loved about the LOTR films (despite my criticisms) is that every sword in that film was of a functional design.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2018, 02:45:41 AM »

These are my Longclaw swords.  This ones a knockoff wall hanger, but does the job well as a belt hanger for my costume.

And this is the one I normally carry to cons.  It’s an inspired by look from the Nemesis workshop.  It’s not the prettiest thing but they make a great handling LARP sword.  I tend to prefer to go this way for weapons at cons because it’s easier to carry and it’s great when people want to mock duel or something.

It photographs ok too, most people don’t realize it’s a larp sword until I point it out

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:59 AM »

I remember thinking that was real the first time I saw it Sam.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »

I was actually admiring an old civil war saber a few weeks ago in our towns museum.  I’d never been and saw a lot of interesting stuff.  The old civil war era weapons and uniforms were in fantastic condition.  I can only imagine these things came from someone’s personal collection.

Much of it may have been replicas. Astoundingly few uniforms survived to see the 20th century, and most that did could not be considered in excellent condition. I've seen some in person(I believe at Gettysburg), and the best kept one still was faded and stained so heavily, you could not even tell the shirt had ever been white, it was so brown.

Luckily the weapons have fared much better, as is often the case. But still, some have been "restored" in a way that can not be considered close to original(sometimes even by the soldiers carrying them while ON CAMPAIGN). They've found many a "Franken musket" buried in trenches, and even swords that were repaired using hilts or guards from different sabers, or otherwise modified to fit an individual officer's needs(such as adding larger hilts to accommodate abnormally large hands, having the blade "re-curved to a specific angle, etc.) They're still really cool pieces though.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »

I’m looking to get my hands on the sword carried by the lesser Nazgul, not the Witch King himself.

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »

Loving this thread. Wonderful contributions everyone. Thanks for sharing.
Size wise it isn't really bad, there are swords that were used in combat that were much larger.  But, its in the construction.  A sword that size...combat ready as the term goes..wouldn't and shouldn't weigh more than 4-5lbs...and that's pushing it.  But that is one of the things I loved about the LOTR films (despite my criticisms) is that every sword in that film was of a functional design.
There is a really cool documentary that I am sure most following this thread would love- “Reclaiming the Blade”. Check it out if you haven’t already. The is plenty of Star Wars discussion including interviews with the great Bob Anderson. My memory of the film was jogged because there are interviews some of the Weta Workshop guys that worked on and designed the LOTR movie sword props.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »

Loving this thread. Wonderful contributions everyone. Thanks for sharing. There is a really cool documentary that I am sure most following this thread would love- “Reclaiming the Blade”. Check it out if you haven’t already. The is plenty of Star Wars discussion including interviews with the great Bob Anderson. My memory of the film was jogged because there are interviews some of the Weta Workshop guys that worked on and designed the LOTR movie sword props.

Yep..saw it when it was released. 

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »

This is a $20 solid black hand and a half trainer I picked up thinking I’d use it as a con prop.  Nope, this things a mace disguised as a sword.  I’m pretty sure I could kill someone with this thing.  It’s solid polypropylene and it doesn’t have any give at all.  It’s REALLY off balance but I imagine it could be good for building up strength.  No complaints for the price.

I painted the blade, and I’ve still got to clean up the hilt, but idk if I care since I’m not sure I can take it with me anywhere lol.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »

This is a $20 solid black hand and a half trainer I picked up thinking I’d use it as a con prop.  Nope, this things a mace disguised as a sword.  I’m pretty sure I could kill someone with this thing.  It’s solid polypropylene and it doesn’t have any give at all.  It’s REALLY off balance but I imagine it could be good for building up strength.  No complaints for the price.

I painted the blade, and I’ve still got to clean up the hilt, but idk if I care since I’m not sure I can take it with me anywhere lol.

Yea, those are really bad in terms of feeling like a sword.  I struck a pell with one that someone had in my SCA group and it transferred all the vibrations into my arm.  Made my elbow feel like it wiggled. 

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2018, 02:01:17 AM »

It feels like a club.  Like I said, I intended to use it as a prop but I don’t see them letting me in with this.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2018, 04:53:21 AM »

I found a decent candidate for my con sword. I'll post pics in a bit, after I get it ready.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2018, 03:34:34 AM »

I actually have 3 of these. Mine are actually balanced pretty decently (though still heavy). I have some friends who have them and they are very blade heavy compared to mine. Actually pretty fun things to play with.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »

Not a cosplay piece but a tool.  This is my "fighting" knife.  I use it much the way Worf wields his Mek'Leth in Star Trek...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

Sam that's fantastic, especially for the price!  Looks great too  Smiley

Not a cosplay piece but a tool.  This is my "fighting" knife.  I use it much the way Worf wields his Mek'Leth in Star Trek...

Awesome kukri Karm!  Beautiful etchwork!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: