Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 179430 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2019, 12:10:28 AM »

Always been a fan of the TecX and the Shuffle II is a sight to behold! Good pick up on your knives, SFD. Just looking at them, it doesn’t feel as if you stopped with your knife collection. Glad that Rapine, Haz and I can get you back to the point (see what I did there?). It’s toid to have an EDC knife, it comes in handy and a plus if your county or state allows it.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:54 AM »

I've found that Ohio has some pretty relaxed laws on owning and carrying. It's illegal to carry if it's clearly designed to be a deadly weapon, but it's up to prosecutors to prove that it's intended to be a deadly weapon. I haven't checked county laws and couldn't find much of anything for city.

No, I'm not done collecting by far. I have 5 more knives on the way, four "pretty" ones from Amazon. They're not what I'd consider EDC, but they look cool. I'll definitely share pics when I get those. The other is a small automatic knife, that one is totally Rapine's fault. Tongue Also, it's my test order from Blade HQ. If I wind up liking them, there will be future orders.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2019, 12:38:31 AM »

In Texas now you cab carry a sword of you want to. I really like the look of the Case, I like the size of the CRKT, and Kershaw is a pretty decent knife. I have a Kershaw abs enjoy it although I pretty much only carry one knife (not the Kershaw).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2019, 01:14:55 AM »

The other is a small automatic knife, that one is totally Rapine's fault. Tongue

Hey, if it was allowed here, I'd already have one. Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2019, 01:20:48 AM »

Of the three, the CRKT Squid is the smoothest to open. I've seen some people complain in reviews of knives that small that they're hard to open with big hands, but I have no issues and I have freakishly long fingers. (XL gloves don't have long enough fingers) The Kershaw Shuffle II takes up the most horizontal real estate in the pocket. But, it's not bad. The TecX Exo-Lock I just got today. It's my favorite, looks wise. It's 440 stainless steel, a metal I'm pretty familiar with as I've had 440 blades in the past. The other two are the Chinese equivalent to Aus-8 stainless.

Anyway, I'm in the beginning of the courting stage with all of these knives. It might take a few weeks before I decide to start dating one exclusively, or I may just keep alternating between them.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2019, 01:22:02 AM »

Hey, if it was allowed here, I'd already have one. Tongue

Yes, I know you're living vicariously through me. Tongue

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »

Yes, I know you're living vicariously through me. Tongue
I think you should do video of that one...lol

You know - opening and such.  Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

In Texas, it's legal to carry any form of knives so as long as the blade is 5.5" and shorter. We're also allowed the following:

It is legal to own throwing stars or any type of throwing knife
It is legal to own dirks, daggers, stilettos, and other stabbing knives
It is legal to own a bowie knife
It is legal to own a sword or spear
It is legal to own a switchblade knife
It is legal to own a pocketknife
It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly knife

Most of the above knives became legal to own as of 2013

Of course, there are restrictions to where we can carry and what knives are illegal. Tomahawks and knives with knuckles are illegal to carry in Texas

Knives with knuckles (see above) and tomahawks (see – Sec. 46.01 (1)) are not legal to carry in Texas. Anyone under the age of 18 (or over), can carry a knife less than 5.5 inches in length nearly anywhere. If you’re under 18, you can only carry a knife with a blade over 5.5 inches under certain conditions like for example, you’re accompanied by an adult or you’re at home or on your way home. However, any adult can carry any knife over 5.5 inches anywhere other than certain restricted locations (see below).

There are some restrictions on locations (hence the term “location-restricted knives”). You can’t carry any “location-restricted” knife (blade over 5.5 inches in length) to the following locations:

Schools and on any passenger transportation vehicle of a school
Polling Places
Courthouses
Airports past Security Screening (all knives are already prohibited by TSA)
Racetracks
Within 1,000 feet of the premises where an Execution is being conducted, if posted
Sporting Events (high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic sporting event)
Correctional Facilities
Hospitals
Nursing Homes
Mental Hospitals
Amusement Parks
Churches, Synagogues and Established Places of Worship.

Sources

Tex. Penal Code § 46.01 (2017)
Tex. Penal Code § 46.02 (2017)
Tex. Penal Code § 46.05 (2017)
Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App. 1989)
Smith v. State, 1988 Tex. App. (Tex. App. 1988)
Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App. 1983)
Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965)
Cook v. State, 2005 Tex. App. LEXIS 3053
HB 01935 Tex. Penal Code

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1935/2017

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

In Texas, it's legal to carry any form of knives so as long as the blade is 5.5" and shorter. We're also allowed the following:

It is legal to own throwing stars or any type of throwing knife
It is legal to own dirks, daggers, stilettos, and other stabbing knives
It is legal to own a bowie knife
It is legal to own a sword or spear
It is legal to own a switchblade knife
It is legal to own a pocketknife
It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly knife

Most of the above knives became legal to own as of 2013

Of course, there are restrictions to where we can carry and what knives are illegal. Tomahawks and knives with knuckles are illegal to carry in Texas

Knives with knuckles (see above) and tomahawks (see – Sec. 46.01 (1)) are not legal to carry in Texas. Anyone under the age of 18 (or over), can carry a knife less than 5.5 inches in length nearly anywhere. If you’re under 18, you can only carry a knife with a blade over 5.5 inches under certain conditions like for example, you’re accompanied by an adult or you’re at home or on your way home. However, any adult can carry any knife over 5.5 inches anywhere other than certain restricted locations (see below).

There are some restrictions on locations (hence the term “location-restricted knives”). You can’t carry any “location-restricted” knife (blade over 5.5 inches in length) to the following locations:

Schools and on any passenger transportation vehicle of a school
Polling Places
Courthouses
Airports past Security Screening (all knives are already prohibited by TSA)
Racetracks
Within 1,000 feet of the premises where an Execution is being conducted, if posted
Sporting Events (high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic sporting event)
Correctional Facilities
Hospitals
Nursing Homes
Mental Hospitals
Amusement Parks
Churches, Synagogues and Established Places of Worship.

Sources

Tex. Penal Code § 46.01 (2017)
Tex. Penal Code § 46.02 (2017)
Tex. Penal Code § 46.05 (2017)
Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App. 1989)
Smith v. State, 1988 Tex. App. (Tex. App. 1988)
Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App. 1983)
Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965)
Cook v. State, 2005 Tex. App. LEXIS 3053
HB 01935 Tex. Penal Code

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1935/2017

Looks pretty similar to AK. Though I'm pretty sure we could get away with almost anything if we worded it correctly. Obviously not airports, courthouses, correctional facilities, and probably mental hospitals, but everything else we can do. Technically "big" knives (not sure exactly what the restrictions are) are not allowed on the fair grounds, though that has never stopped anyone. We are just more careful about it. Grin

Maybe I'll try and get some pics of my knives up sometime. I don't have a lot, but I like to build my collection.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »

The law is weird since we can't have anything between 5.6 " to a sword... We can walk around with swords all day here in Texas but not a knife larger than 5.5"?  Lol

I look forward to seeing your collection some time

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2019, 07:09:38 PM »

The law is weird since we can't have anything between 5.6 " to a sword... We can walk around with swords all day here in Texas but not a knife larger than 5.5"?  Lol

I look forward to seeing your collection some time

In AL, any blade shorter than 3.5" is legal for anyone to carry.  Its not considered a weapon.   
Anything larger is covered by my concealed carry permit.  The CCP law is worded to cover all weapons, not just firearms. 
We are also an "open carry" state, so it is legal to carry any weapon you wish in the open.  But I wouldn't advise it, as many municipalities have laws on the books that consider "brandishing" a weapon to be simple assault.   And it is easy for a police officer to interpret a person displaying a holstered firearm as "brandishing" the weapon if it fits his purpose.  It might not stick in court, but you're still going to be arrested and charged.   Hope your USCCA dues are paid...

I imagine carrying a sword is vaguely similar to carrying around a hunting rifle on a sling....   

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »

I used to collect knives. Quite a few are just cheapies that look cool or utilitarian/camping use.

I have a few nice ones from when my dad used to travel. I have some nice stiletto folder from France. And some nice boot knives from Argentina and India I think. Ones made of silver and the other has a nice decorated wood sheath.
Will need to find somewhere to upload photos so I can post them. I have done that since the photobucket debacle.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:17 PM »

Then you have to question the definition of a sword. For example, some people consider a Tanto to be a knife, others consider it to be a short sword. So, what constitutes a sword? But, laws can be vague like that.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »

Have prayed this one before but it's in my pocket and yeah are giving me the fever.

It's a Osborne designed Benchmade I bought at a 2005 NRA show. From what I understand it was a limited edition nice for the show that year. I have seen them for sale anywhere sense.

It has a 3 1/4 blade with a bar assist that can be taken out, not a spring. It is my everyday pocket knife, if I'm not at home this knife is in my pocket!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: