Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lost Gray Disassembled  (Read 1966 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »

So, I disassembled my Lost Gray stunt because I intend to upgrade it to sound in the nearish future.  Unfortunately, the two decorative buttons (black and copper) got messed up when I heated up the glue, so I'm going to have to order a couple new buttons before I can fully reassemble the hilt.  Anyway, since I took it apart, I felt some people might be interested in seeing what you get when you do this:

(click the image to enlarge)

Anywho, that's what there is.  Of course, mine was a stunt, so no sound board or anything, but I suspect most people will be more interested in the hilt parts.  The switch bezel is interesting.  Since it's wider than the bezels Ultra Sabers usually uses and the hole for the switch is a bit wider than the AV, there's a piece that goes down into the hole.  The silver parts under the decorative buttons are pretty basic, they just screw into the hilt using the same type of screws you use on a Covertec knob, and the buttons are just hot glued on.  (hence, me messing mine up)  Anyway, once you remove the Covertec, decorative buttons and parts underneath, and the switch, the entire black inner part comes out of the shroud.  Due to the four points of connection and the fact that the shroud fits on perfectly, the saber is very solid when assembled.  The inner black part of the hilt is the part that's MHS compatible, and the emitter comes off to free the LED module.

Note:  This is not something I recommend if your saber is still under warranty, as mine is, if you don't know what you're doing or aren't willing to mess up things, because Ultra Sabers won't fix it under warranty after you disassemble it.

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

Cheers SFD. love these stripped down pics, really helps for custom ideas. points!

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »

Great job!  Very much appreciate you sharing this ... I'd love to replace the inner hilt with a Dark Apprentice LE V4 for a different and sleek inner hilt/emitter.  The Apprentice stock switch hole and hilt bottom line up almost perfectly with the shroud switch hole and bottom.

It'd have to be a second Lost Gray though, love the one I have Smiley

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »

*sigh*  Unfortunately, I have to put in an order before I can put this saber back together.  When I do, though, it's going to have Obsidian sound.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »

Something I'll probably never do, but I find it extremely interesting nonetheless.  Thanks for the photo and background on this. Point well deserved.  Wink

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:00:30 AM »

No problem, I figured some people would find it interesting.  Disassembly definitely isn't something I recommend for everyone.  You basically have to not worry about things like voiding your warranty, which is exactly what happens when you do this.  But, I'm prepared for that.  Hell, I'm the person who used to slice right through that sticker they used to put on computer cases to let the company that made them know if you had opened the case or not, which also voided your warranty.  Wink  (long before it was a common practice to ship computers with not enough RAM, making upgrades necessary right off the bat)

I've been thinking of what I'm going to do with this thing, and I may just have to modify the shroud a bit while I have it disassembled.  I may etch it, which is something I've been wanting to try.  Smiley  So, needless to say, this may be a somewhat lengthy project.  Wink

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 03:47:31 AM »

No problem, I figured some people would find it interesting.  Disassembly definitely isn't something I recommend for everyone.  You basically have to not worry about things like voiding your warranty, which is exactly what happens when you do this.  But, I'm prepared for that.  Hell, I'm the person who used to slice right through that sticker they used to put on computer cases to let the company that made them know if you had opened the case or not, which also voided your warranty.  Wink  (long before it was a common practice to ship computers with not enough RAM, making upgrades necessary right off the bat)

I've been thinking of what I'm going to do with this thing, and I may just have to modify the shroud a bit while I have it disassembled.  I may etch it, which is something I've been wanting to try.  Smiley  So, needless to say, this may be a somewhat lengthy project.  Wink
On the computer side you think like I do  Cheesy

Zren Tobas made a cool suggestion to have a Dark Lost Gray and/or Fulcrum, so how cool would it be to powder coat the outside shell of the Lost Gray black and either leave the inner shell black with the silver ring or invert that by maching it back down to a polished aluminum and power coat or colorize in some way the silver ring to black.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:57:27 AM »

Zren Tobas made a cool suggestion to have a Dark Lost Gray and/or Fulcrum, so how cool would it be to powder coat the outside shell of the Lost Gray black and either leave the inner shell black with the silver ring or invert that by maching it back down to a polished aluminum and power coat or colorize in some way the silver ring to black.

That may work, though I can't afford to powder coat anything, so somebody else is going to have to do it.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: