Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Isola815's Random Hilt Challenge  (Read 27151 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« on: April 05, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »

So you think you've got guts? Are you willing to prove it? Then take my Random Hilt Challenge and see what The Force wills for you.

What is it? Well it's like ordering a Grab Bag, except you're going to know what you order (but you're not going to choose it), and it's going to have sound. Oh, AND it's going to be selected from US hilts you're not in the least bit interested in. So how does that work?

You draw at random: 1. An Ultra Sabers hilt design, 2. the color for the blade, and 3. if you equip with FOC or not. You MUST record a video of you doing this, unedited, unclipped (so everyone knows you haven't pieced videos together), showing the results you draw to the camera so everyone can read them.*

I did this for my raffle entry to get something chosen completely by choice. I want to buy something that I personally consider to be average, to give Ultra Sabers a chance to prove me wrong and show me how awesome it really is.

This idea came to me because my Apprentice LE (one I'd never considered because I didn't like how it looked on the site) was a grab bag and it totally blew me away with how good it was when I saw it in person. So I figured why not give them another chance to do that?

Just to show you I really did it - here is my video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7YQWHCEPI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7YQWHCEPI</a>

Rules and procedure are as follows:

1. Select 10 SOUND EQUIPPED hilts you DO NOT HAVE ANY INTEREST IN BUYING. No favorites, no wish list items. ONLY hilts you have written off, never taken a second look at, or outright loathe. Write them each on a slip of paper. Fold or crumple up the 10 entries and put them in a bowl or a hat or whatever you are going to draw from.

TEN sabers. No more, no less. 10 is the number I did, so 10 is the number everyone else will do.

Tip: go through each of the designs and make sure none of the ones you selected are on back order.

THESE HILTS MUST BE WITHIN YOUR PRICE RANGE. There is no backing out of this challenge. What you draw you MUST order. So make sure whatever hilt you choose, you will also be able to afford if you wind up drawing a forum color, and FOC. Also factor in price of Lite/V3/V4 sound. You can pick whatever sound level you want, but make sure you factor it in. For example you can't get a Lite cross-guard, so don't put a cross-guard down if you can't afford the V3/V4 sound or the extra two LEDS for the side blades.

2. Write down EVERY blade color including forum colors** (don't include AS with color discs. If you choose color discs that's kind of cheating anyway). Put them in a second hat/container/cup to draw from. CROSS-GUARDS MUST BE MADE WITH ALL THREE BLADES THE SAME COLOR.

3. Write "Flash on Clash - YES" and "Flash on Clash - NO" on two slips of paper and put them in a third drawing container.

4. Roll TWO dice, or use an online random dice roller (if you get an 11 or a 12 re-roll) if you get a 10 or under, pull entries out one by one. When you get to the number you rolled - OPEN IT AND SHOW IT TO THE CAMERA SO IT CAN BE READ.

5. Roll FOUR dice, or use an online random dice roller (if you get an 21-24 re-roll) if you get a 20 or under, pull entries out one by one. When you get to the number you rolled - OPEN IT AND SHOW IT TO THE CAMERA SO IT CAN BE READ.

6. IF YOU DREW A NON TRI CREE COLOR - randomly draw one of the two FOC slips out - OPEN IT AND SHOW IT TO THE CAMERA SO IT CAN BE READ.

-------- I used this online dice roller https://www.random.org/dice/ --------

7. You may then spec out your hilt with carte blanche on every other option. But TRY to pick aesthetic options you normally wouldn't choose.

- Blade length
- Blade type
- Switch type
- Switch color (black or silver to suit hilt/blade color)
- Switch illumination (and illumination color to suit hilt/color) or none
- Lite, V3 or V4 sound
- Recharge port or none
- No charger, standard charger or deluxe charger
- Buck Puck or Resistor
- Retention wrench (if wanted)
- Blade plug style (if any)
- Saber stand or none
- Covertech wheel (if not standard) and color
- Covertech clip
- USB cable or none

Other possible options you may also choose yourself without drawing randomly (but again, TRY and pick the options you normally wouldn't):

- Claw Size
- With/without claw/emitter type
- Pommel type
- Nickle finish or standard
- Windows or None
- Any other hilt specific choices that are in drop down menus

8. ORDER THE SABER YOU JUST CREATED. No backing out.

9. Upload your video to youtube - link or embed it in a post in this thread and feel free to include the Spec list from your e-mail confirmation of your order.

10. When your Isola Challenge hilt arrives you MUST do a Video or Photo review (Make a thread in the review section, and then link it in this thread) so we can see proof that you bought it AND so we can see what you think about it once you get it in your hands. You can give it a few days to grow on you before you do your review if you want/need.

*Someone suggested this could be easy for people to cheat because the person could simply "redo" the video over and over again until they got what they wanted. This is true, but if someone wants to spend THAT much time on random choices hoping that the 1 setup they want out of 4,000 possible combinations appears for them, let them. They are only cheating themselves out of having some fun, and Karma will deal them a swift kick in the pants anyway.

** Just to help you out so you don't have to look them up: Guardian Blue, Tri Guardian Blue, Arctic Blue, Tri Arctic Blue, Consular Green, Tri Consular Green, Adegan Silver, Tri Adegan Silver, Blazing Red, Tri Blazing Red, Fire Orange, Tri Fire Orange, Violet Amethyst, Sunrider's Destiny, Pyrestone Orange, Sentinel Yellow, Emerald Green, Dark Violet Amethyst, Hot Pink, Bane's Heart

So who's brave enough to follow in my foot steps? Who's willing to see what the force wills for them in a bigger gamble than a stunt grab bag? Who's going to go big, and who's going to go home?  Wink Cool

Note: This can be for ANY order, not just for a raffle entry. I want people to stay within their budget whilst following the rules outlined above.

*EDIT* My order has been placed and I changed the blade type from my video to be one I wouldn't normally order either. Requested Bane's Heart in order comments.

RequisitionCharge   Requisition Charge

SOUND-CrimsonScorpion   Crimson Scorpion with Obsidian Premium Sound
[Blade LED Color:Violet Amethyst]
[Flash on Clash:Flash Silver]
[Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries & XTAR VC2 Plus Charger Included)]
[Recharge Port:No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length:32" Length]
[Blade Option:Heavy Grade]
[Crimson Scorpion Claw Option:With Claw]
[Sound:Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4]]
[Switch Type:White Illuminated Silver AV Switch]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip]
[Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks]
[Include Blade Plug:No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand:No Thanks]
[Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks]

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »

A dice only question.   Does it have to be regular dice, or would gaming dice be allowed for randomness.

Mean the first roll, instead of two dice, use a single ten sided die would get you 1 to 10 with no need to reroll.

For the second roll a single twenty sided die will do, 1 to 20 with no need to reroll.

The last one could be heads or tails on a coin (heads FOC, tails No FOC)...or even-odd on any die with Even being FOC and Odd being No FOC.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

A dice only question.   Does it have to be regular dice, or would gaming dice be allowed for randomness.

Mean the first roll, instead of two dice, use a single ten sided die would get you 1 to 10 with no need to reroll.

For the second roll a single twenty sided die will do, 1 to 20 with no need to reroll.

The last one could be heads or tails on a coin (heads FOC, tails No FOC)...or even-odd on any die with Even being FOC and Odd being No FOC.

As long as it's the same end result of drawing one out of ten, one out of twenty, and one out of two, then that's fine Smiley I just put down the steps I took with what I had on hand as I am interstate and in a Hotel this week. So I only had what I could scrape together from the nightstand and the local internet.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »

Isola is keeping it interesting. But I just placed my order!

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »

This is really well laid out, Isola. Nice work on this with all the specifics. 👍

I am going to put together my list of 10, and I hereby ACCEPT your challenge. I'll be back here a bit later with my Isola Random Hilt Challenge hilt "candidates" and my video. 😉

Point slam dunk!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »

Isola is keeping it interesting. But I just placed my order!

Doesn't have to be for the raffle, Brother! Can be for your next order Wink

This is really well laid out, Isola. Nice work on this with all the specifics. 👍

I am going to put together my list of 10, and I hereby ACCEPT your challenge. I'll be back here a bit later with my Isola Random Hilt Challenge hilt "candidates" and my video. 😉

YAAAASSSSSSSSSSS

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

Point slam dunk!

*edit*

Shoot!! So, I should have thought this out better. I couldn't even find close to 10 hilts that I dislike or have written off, and I was really excited to do this, too!! Undecided  I look forward to seeing who else might accept this challenge.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »

*edit*

Shoot!! So, I should have thought this out better. I couldn't even find 10 hilts that I dislike or have written off, and I was really excited to do this, too.  Undecided  I look forward to seeing who else might accept this challenge.

Aww, damn Sad

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

*edit*

Shoot!! So, I should have thought this out better. I couldn't even find 10 hilts that I dislike or have written off, and I was really excited to do this, too.  Undecided  I look forward to seeing who else might accept this challenge.

I actually assumed the problem was going to be that there weren't 10 Ultrasabers you didn't already own.  Wink

(I kid!)

Actually, the funny thing about the challenge and the fact that Isola ended up with a Crimson Scorpion . . . that's exactly what I won as a 1st place prize in my first Raffle . . . and at the time, I thought I would HATE the Crimson hilts . . . but I found they actually look really nice in person.  

MUCH different than in online pics.

So these sabers, in general, do have a big way of changing your mind in person.

I've actually thought, to be honest, I would rather get something as a Raffle prize I thought I wouldn't like, because it could be a really pleasant surprise, versus something off my WishList I will eventually get anyway, because the chances it will be configured how I want are slim.

Winning anything is a great feeling, getting something you THOUGHT you wouldn't like, but end up digging, is a double down on the awesome.  

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

getting something you THOUGHT you wouldn't like, but end up digging, is a double down on the awesome.  

And that, in essence, is the point of my "grab bag on steroids" idea Smiley

I even said in my order comments "Impress me." Because while I'm not closing my mind to it... I'm also really not looking forward to getting this hilt hahahaha but after throwing $540 (Aus) at this SOB, I really, REALLY want to be wrong lol

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »

Aww, damn Sad
Yeah, sorry, I wanted to just edit out that part of my post but was too late. Things move fast around here.

I actually assumed the problem was going to be that there weren't 10 Ultrasabers you didn't already own.  Wink

(I kid!)

Actually, the funny thing about the challenge and the fact that Isola ended up with a Crimson Scorpion . . . that's exactly what I won as a 1st place prize in my first Raffle . . . and at the time, I thought I would HATE the Crimson hilts . . . but I found they actually look really nice in person.  

MUCH different than in online pics.

So these sabers, in general, do have a big way of changing your mind in person.

I've actually thought, to be honest, I would rather get something as a Raffle prize I thought I wouldn't like, because it could be a really pleasant surprise, versus something off my WishList I will eventually get anyway, because the chances it will be configured how I want are slim.

Winning anything is a great feeling, getting something you THOUGHT you wouldn't like, but end up digging, is a double down on the awesome.  
Yeah, that's a good point and I know you were kidding  😂 😅😅

I actually really loathe the Omen, I'm not sure about the Aeon, decided I'm not fond of the Monarch or the Reaper. So there were at least 4 I could give a chance with this fun idea, just wished I'd figured this out before hand.

I do agree with you about getting one like that through the raffle. That happened with the Standard Issue I received, and now I respect it more than ever. My wife loves it, so in my case maybe that changed my point of view. There are far fewer now that I feel any kind of strong dislike for.

@Isola - Thanks just the same, though, and I hope to see others try this.

And that, in essence, is the point of my "grab bag on steroids" idea Smiley

I even said in my order comments "Impress me." Because while I'm not closing my mind to it... I'm also really not looking forward to getting this hilt hahahaha but after throwing $540 (Aus) at this SOB, I really, REALLY want to be wrong lol
I've no doubt we're both going to love our Crimson Scorpions. The more I think about yours with Bane's Heart, the more I think that's going to blow you away.  

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

@Isola - Thanks just the same, though, and I hope to see others try this.

I'm not sure if anyone else is quite as mental as me  Cheesy Cheesy but we shall see!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone else is quite as mental as me  Cheesy Cheesy but we shall see!
Uh, mental?! Nah, I'd call it adventurous and open minded, and they're missing out if they don't go for it.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »

Uh, mental?! Nah, I'd call it adventurous and open minded, and they're missing out if they don't go for it.

It's all adventure and open-mindedness until someone has to order a Ronald McDonald lightsaber and battle Grimace  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »

It's all adventure and open-mindedness until someone has to order a Ronald McDonald lightsaber and battle Grimace  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
👌 😂😂😂😂😁

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: