Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Isola815's Random Hilt Challenge  (Read 26897 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »

OR, you might get it and think "HOLY SH**! I WAS SO WRONG!!" and leave it just how it arrives Wink

👆 😁

Well, if Freeman says it, it must be so.

But yeah, I am kinda thinking that I'd end up getting an Omen (seeing as I'd be putting three different Omen entries in), and the only thing I'd want that for is the hilt. I don't like the emitter. But hopefully when I do do it, I am completely and utterly surprised with the hilt's amazingness.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »

+1 for an awesome idea with an opportunity for a "Premium Grab Bag" Saber, for having the guts to do it, and for making me laugh at your Ronald McDonald joke! Cheers!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Leefer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

12!

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »

I'm in for the next raffle.  I'll post up a recording of my rolls and stuff soon.  It will make waiting for the next raffle all the more crazy.  On the other hand, it has to be my next purchase, so it will make my clicky finger stay away from that evil add to cart button.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Phantom obsidian *Angelina*
Crimson Scorpion with claw Diamond *Scarlett*
Reaper obsidian *Ripley*
Scorpion emerald *Milla*

A weapon without a name will betray you.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »

I'm in for the next raffle.  I'll post up a recording of my rolls and stuff soon.  It will make waiting for the next raffle all the more crazy.  On the other hand, it has to be my next purchase, so it will make my clicky finger stay away from that evil add to cart button.
Cool.  Glad to hear it, Leefer. The will of the Force calls to YOU! I would wait, though, and do the drawing and video when you're ready to purchase. As I Isola suggested earlier in this thread, then you won't have a chance to change your mind.  Cheesy  Wink  Grin

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

Cool.  Glad to hear it, Leefer. The will of the Force calls to YOU! I would wait, though, and do the drawing and video when you're ready to purchase. As I Isola suggested earlier in this thread, then you won't have a chance to change your mind.  Cheesy  Wink  Grin
Yep! Like LB said. You gotta do it all at the same time. Step 8 is placing the order  Grin

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »

It's here, it's here! I officially decree I have completed the Isola Random Hilt Challenge! Here is my IRHC hilt, the Archon 3.1 with Consular Green and Sentinel Yellow FoC:

My two biggest reasons for putting off this hilt were 1) the blade wouldn't be bright enough for me because of the skinny neck on the emitter, 2) the blade wouldn't be sturdy enough for dueling. I found these two issues were really just inflated concerns of mine, and that the strengths of this hilt are appealing enough that the weaknesses don't matter as much as I had assumed they would. Without this challenge I would never have purchased the Archon 3.1. I'm glad I did now.

Here's a video review of it and my impressions of this hilt, which, along with 9 other hilts, I had dismissed as a no-go. I drew this one in the challenge and have now had a chance to examine first hand as a new Archon 3.1 owner... in a word - it's good  Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXNedQobCYw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXNedQobCYw</a>

More Pictures!

One of the "concerns" I had was the narrow neck of the Emitter through which light had to travel to get illuminate the blade:

There is a blade film inside the neck of the emitter to reflect light like it does inside a polycarbonate blade:

I didn't feel like this was as big of an issue as I had let myself believe, and there are too many other strengths in this hilt to more than compensate. One of the ways this hilt redeemed itself for me, being thus removed from the proverbial back burner, was the MHS compatible emitter. Check this out:

Archon 3. 1 emitter on the Emperor's Hand hilt - pretty good, right?

Archon 3.1 emitter on the Consular hilt - also very unique. I recently acquired a polished aluminum shroud for my Consular to use in place of my nickel finish shroud, for better MHS swappage options:

This challenge was a very good experience - I loved it and want to thank Isola for paving the way with his example to go for it. I trusted in the Force, and it did not let me down. I received a hilt that really mostly dismissed my previous concerns of durability and blade brightness. Sure the latter is a weakness for this hilt, but the gold neck emitter more than makes up for and makes it worth having a blade that is slightly less bright. I mean, there's just nowhere to put the LED anywhere but where it is AND remain a hilt that can withstand medium dueling. I dueled with my son for a half hour last night, clashing my Archon 3.1 blade with his Archon 2.1 blade hard enough to trigger flash on clash, and though there was a small amount of vibration through that skinny neck, it is stronger than it looks. I'm proud to have this saber in my collection, and can't wait to see what unlikely hilt the Force wills for me next.

I challenge others to follow through on this challenge like Isola and myself did and show the Force that you trust its will for you. As Yoda said, "The Force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is."  I've no doubt that it is an ally with Ultra Sabers, too, and will not disappoint. MTFBWY

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2017, 04:56:38 AM »

EYYYYYYYY!!!

Nice work LB! I'm really glad to see that you loved the saber you wound up with from the challenge  Grin

Thank you so much for taking part and for posting your video and pictures. My saber is currently in transit and I should hopefully have it by this time next week to show everyone Smiley

Congrats on your new saber! Points coming at you for a while for participating in, and completing the Isola Random Hilt Challenge  Cool

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2017, 05:02:37 AM »

EYYYYYYYY!!!

Nice work LB! I'm really glad to see that you loved the saber you wound up with from the challenge  Grin

Thank you so much for taking part and for posting your video and pictures. My saber is currently in transit and I should hopefully have it by this time next week to show everyone Smiley

Congrats on your new saber! Points coming at you for a while for participating in, and completing the Isola Random Hilt Challenge  Cool
Thanks, dude.   Wink  Points back atcha. Can't wait to hear your impressions, too.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2017, 05:09:11 AM »

When Kai-Yen put an Archon 3.1 emitter on his EH I loved it, I think it makes for a beautiful lightsaber and same goes for your combination LB.

Even though a blue blade isn't my bag - I'd consider it with a guarded switch and the std pommel (like you have) for a nice obi-wan inspired hilt.

Always love that gold covertec wheel (you know it!)

Congrats and +1 points to you, LB.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2017, 05:15:51 AM »

When Kai-Yen put an Archon 3.1 emitter on his EH I loved it, I think it makes for a beautiful lightsaber and same goes for your combination LB.

Even though a blue blade isn't my bag - I'd consider it with a guarded switch and the std pommel (like you have) for a nice obi-wan inspired hilt.

Always love that gold covertec wheel (you know it!)

Congrats and +1 points to you, LB.

Thanks, haz! I've got QD's on the EH, so lots of options there, too. Appreciate the feedback!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »

The Archon v3.1 emitter in the EH should be Ben Skywalker's hilt.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »

Great idea, ithekro. I think you're on to something there.  Roll Eyes

Leefer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

12!

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »

The Archon v3.1 emitter in the EH should be Ben Skywalker's hilt.

The Force pulls strongly to this one

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Phantom obsidian *Angelina*
Crimson Scorpion with claw Diamond *Scarlett*
Reaper obsidian *Ripley*
Scorpion emerald *Milla*

A weapon without a name will betray you.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

Here we are ladies and gentlemen. The video of my Isola815 Random Hilt Challenge saber, the Salmon Scorpion!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g0sJSNf-04" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g0sJSNf-04</a>

And here are some photos:

AS FOC

This is what I mean about the blade tip thread. It really detracts from the overall look of the whole saber. As does the tube light effect of the standard blades.

The difference between the Mantis pommel and the Scorpion pommel thread depth.

My poor claw Sad

Jeeeesssuusssss!

Not sure what's up with the little darker red lines and patches.

50 shades of pinkish-crimsony-red

All in all I truly AM happy with this hilt, so it was a challenge success. But I'm still going to modify the pants off of this thing :p

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »

Hi.  Another really helpful informative video.  You sure have this thing about pristine sabers out of the box lol.  Wink

So after seeing yours closer up... I now don't want a Scorpion esp. in multi-red/salmon and I agree with you about most of your observations.  The Monarch pommel does extend the flow of the saber much better.  That windowed grill piece doesn't need to be there at all and really distracts attention from the cool flanged emitter.  Personally I don't like the claw and it looks like an add on.  But I love the red pommel and probably just want that piece.

I think that you were very generous with your rating the overall saber a 9.  More like a 6 -7 for me... but then I'm not holding it and could easily upgrade my opinion.

But those newer threaded blade tips look ghastly in standard silver foiled blades.  I have loads of the old style and will hold on to them.  I prefer the look of the MG/HG blades but will now only get the UE... and even that looks toyish with the newest tips.

Rant over... need some coffee... and a hug ( just had my Scorpion ownership dream shattered ).  Smiley

thanks for the share and point  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: