Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Author Topic: Isola815's Random Hilt Challenge  (Read 26900 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »

Hi.  Another really helpful informative video.  You sure have this thing about pristine sabers out of the box lol.  Wink

So after seeing yours closer up... I now don't want a Scorpion esp. in multi-red/salmon and I agree with you about most of your observations.  The Monarch pommel does extend the flow of the saber much better.  That windowed grill piece doesn't need to be there at all and really distracts attention from the cool flanged emitter.  Personally I don't like the claw and it looks like an add on.  But I love the red pommel and probably just want that piece.

I think that you were very generous with your rating the overall saber a 9.  More like a 6 -7 for me... but then I'm not holding it and could easily upgrade my opinion.

But those newer threaded blade tips look ghastly in standard silver foiled blades.  I have loads of the old style and will hold on to them.  I prefer the look of the MG/HG blades but will now only get the UE... and even that looks toyish with the newest tips.

Rant over... need some coffee... and a hug ( just had my Scorpion ownership dream shattered ).  Smiley

thanks for the share and point  Cool

Thanks D7!!  Grin

I think to be fair... for the price... they SHOULD be pristine. I can understand the raffle prize being a bit scuffed up, but a "premium" saber should have strict QC. Even if it was pristine I'd probably still be fixing to mod it. As soon as I saw it in person an awesome idea entered my head that I just NEED to do  Tongue

I have to say... if this wasn't super comfortable to wield one handed it would have been a 5 or 6. The saving grace that put it back up was the feel of it in my hands. Maybe you'll like it more when I'm done tinkering?  Wink Cool

You go have that coffee! I'd come give you a hug, but as it's past 1am I need sleep. And will need coffee when I get up in 4 hours  Shocked

Point back at you... hopefully it makes up for me shattering your dreams  Cry

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »

Here we are ladies and gentlemen. The video of my Isola815 Random Hilt Challenge saber, the Salmon Scorpion!

Personally I don't like the claw and it looks like an add on.

Thanks D7!!  Grin

I think to be fair... for the price... they SHOULD be pristine. I can understand the raffle prize being a bit scuffed up, but a "premium" saber should have strict QC. Even if it was pristine I'd probably still be fixing to mod it. As soon as I saw it in person an awesome idea entered my head that I just NEED to do  Tongue

I have to say... if this wasn't super comfortable to wield one handed it would have been a 5 or 6. The saving grace that put it back up was the feel of it in my hands. Maybe you'll like it more when I'm done tinkering?  Wink Cool

You go have that coffee! I'd come give you a hug, but as it's past 1am I need sleep. And will need coffee when I get up in 4 hours  Shocked

Point back at you... hopefully it makes up for me shattering your dreams  Cry

Hey there, Isola - that was an awesome video, thanks for the shout out and tbh I was glad you took your time with it, as the Scorpion seemed to grow on you the more you talked about it. That said, I agree with you about the anodizing difference, though on mine I haven't noticed it as much, and I think it is oddly affected by the lighting imo. I perceived the same thing at the Salt Lake FanX convention at the Ultra Sabers booth last month, and of course, there is fluorescent lighting in there, and I think it messes with the appearance a little. Now that I own one the red anodizing appears warmer, redder than what I saw there.  Could just be me looking at mine through my crimson red colored lenses o^o, but that's what I noticed. I did, in fact, though, email customer service about it before ordering mine to see if there was a way to request a darker red anodizing on my hilt, but they said they are shipped separately, so no way to make a request on just one.  Undecided  I, too, wish it was a darker, more "Iron Man" red, but I'm liking it the way it is. I put a blue illuminated AV switch on mine for that reason, because I felt it would make the red "pop" a little more, and I think it really does, but still, I can see why you'd find that rattle annoying on the AV switch - mine is doing that, too - so maybe consider a non-illuminated blue anodized AV switch - the contrast may look cool.

It really is a VERY comfortable hilt to hold. I think of that second set of windows below the main emitter windows that you mentioned you didn't like as a "crystal chamber" and think it's a pretty cool effect, but your point of view makes a strong case, too, so you've got me interested to see how you mod that part. I know you said both those windows and the FoC were overwhelmed by the brightness of Bane's Heart as a color, but I didn't hear you mention how you like Bane's Heart?

Also, I agree with you on the UltraEdge vs. non-UltraEdge blades and really prefer the UltraEdge now myself, too. I have a few of the older HG blades before the tip design was changed, and they're ok with really bright colors like Guardian Blue and Consular Green, but now, even for Fire Orange I'm liking the UE and UE HG blades best. The UE HG especially feels so, so solid, too.

I have to disagree with D7 about the claw, though (sorry, D7  Roll Eyes), because I think without it, it looks like a giant torch with the flange style emitter, like what you might find in the hands of an Olympic runner taking the Olympic torch to light a cauldron, and while that is a very majestic, inspirational site to see, it's not so great as a saber. Thanks for the shout out, too, on the silver pommel. The Renegade pommel works pretty well, but that Monarch pommel is undeniably a beautiful addition, too. Nice choice there, Isola.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about getting a pristine saber out of the box, for any custom saber purchase, not to mention if you throw down $600+ for a Diamond saber. I have another raffle entry, the Malice, which has a circular CNC machining mark on one of the emitter blades, looked like a watermark that you would see on a coffee table if something left their beverage on there without a coaster, so customer service had me send the one blade back for repair or replacement, and they'll reimburse the shipping up to $15. If I were you with the dented claw on my Scorpion, or for that matter the entire hilt if there noticeable scuffs/dings are noticeable, I'd be sending some or all of it back as well.

Don't settle...

...and point bomb DETONATED!  Cool

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

It's here, it's here! I officially decree I have completed the Isola Random Hilt Challenge! Here is my IRHC hilt, the Archon 3.1 with Consular Green and Sentinel Yellow FoC:

My two biggest reasons for putting off this hilt were 1) the blade wouldn't be bright enough for me because of the skinny neck on the emitter, 2) the blade wouldn't be sturdy enough for dueling. I found these two issues were really just inflated concerns of mine, and that the strengths of this hilt are appealing enough that the weaknesses don't matter as much as I had assumed they would. Without this challenge I would never have purchased the Archon 3.1. I'm glad I did now.

Here's a video review of it and my impressions of this hilt, which, along with 9 other hilts, I had dismissed as a no-go. I drew this one in the challenge and have now had a chance to examine first hand as a new Archon 3.1 owner... in a word - it's good  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXNedQobCYw

More Pictures!

One of the "concerns" I had was the narrow neck of the Emitter through which light had to travel to get illuminate the blade:

There is a blade film inside the neck of the emitter to reflect light like it does inside a polycarbonate blade:

I didn't feel like this was as big of an issue as I had let myself believe, and there are too many other strengths in this hilt to more than compensate. One of the ways this hilt redeemed itself for me, being thus removed from the proverbial back burner, was the MHS compatible emitter. Check this out:

Archon 3. 1 emitter on the Emperor's Hand hilt - pretty good, right?

Archon 3.1 emitter on the Consular hilt - also very unique. I recently acquired a polished aluminum shroud for my Consular to use in place of my nickel finish shroud, for better MHS swappage options:

This challenge was a very good experience - I loved it and want to thank Isola for paving the way with his example to go for it. I trusted in the Force, and it did not let me down. I received a hilt that really mostly dismissed my previous concerns of durability and blade brightness. Sure the latter is a weakness for this hilt, but the gold neck emitter more than makes up for and makes it worth having a blade that is slightly less bright. I mean, there's just nowhere to put the LED anywhere but where it is AND remain a hilt that can withstand medium dueling. I dueled with my son for a half hour last night, clashing my Archon 3.1 blade with his Archon 2.1 blade hard enough to trigger flash on clash, and though there was a small amount of vibration through that skinny neck, it is stronger than it looks. I'm proud to have this saber in my collection, and can't wait to see what unlikely hilt the Force wills for me next.

I challenge others to follow through on this challenge like Isola and myself did and show the Force that you trust its will for you. As Yoda said, "The Force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is."  I've no doubt that it is an ally with Ultra Sabers, too, and will not disappoint. MTFBWY

LB, that Archon is almost exactly what I'd like to get (perhaps my next purchase).  Like Isola, the saber you modded looks incredible (the emitter looks natural w/ the body).  Just my 2 cents: have you considered an activation box mod?  I was thinking of doing something like that but w/ the Archon v3 but your saber body already has the box, if more subtle.  Again: great work.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »

Thanks, Dutch! Yeah, I really like the look of that emitter on the Emperor's Hand. Could be a nice modded saber to take to Comic Con and/or the Star Wars 8 premier coming up this fall/winter. I don't think I would be interested in the rectangular activation box mod I've seen that I think you're referring to for the same reason I didn't go with that type on the Emperor's Hand, since it digs into your hand a bit. Still, it does have a very iconic look and would be nice for display.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »

Isola, I agree with you 100% on all that you said about the Scorpion. I do think you should strip the whole saber in fact and make it silver. Also maybe you can put an inner sleeve to block the windows. Thin piece of aluminum or something. Anyway very informative. Love the new pommel on it.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »

Once again, a great review Isola. You always add just the perfect amount of humor into your reviews to keep us watching for the 20 minutes. Not that I mind long reviews, it is more of that I probably don't have the time to watch long ones right now. Anyways, great review, I'm glad you are happy with the saber.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »

Thanks, Dutch! Yeah, I really like the look of that emitter on the Emperor's Hand. Could be a nice modded saber to take to Comic Con and/or the Star Wars 8 premier coming up this fall/winter. I don't think I would be interested in the rectangular activation box mod I've seen that I think you're referring to for the same reason I didn't go with that type on the Emperor's Hand, since it digs into your hand a bit. Still, it does have a very iconic look and would be nice for display.
You are correct LB; that's exactly what I was talking about.  Ah, I didn't even think about the...lack of ergonomic design (VERY good point) or comfort. 
I have to reiterate: that is one beautiful mod  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »

Hey there, Isola - that was an awesome video, thanks for the shout out and tbh I was glad you took your time with it, as the Scorpion seemed to grow on you the more you talked about it. That said, I agree with you about the anodizing difference, though on mine I haven't noticed it as much, and I think it is oddly affected by the lighting imo. I perceived the same thing at the Salt Lake FanX convention at the Ultra Sabers booth last month, and of course, there is fluorescent lighting in there, and I think it messes with the appearance a little. Now that I own one the red anodizing appears warmer, redder than what I saw there.  Could just be me looking at mine through my crimson red colored lenses o^o, but that's what I noticed. I did, in fact, though, email customer service about it before ordering mine to see if there was a way to request a darker red anodizing on my hilt, but they said they are shipped separately, so no way to make a request on just one.  Undecided  I, too, wish it was a darker, more "Iron Man" red, but I'm liking it the way it is. I put a blue illuminated AV switch on mine for that reason, because I felt it would make the red "pop" a little more, and I think it really does, but still, I can see why you'd find that rattle annoying on the AV switch - mine is doing that, too - so maybe consider a non-illuminated blue anodized AV switch - the contrast may look cool.

It really is a VERY comfortable hilt to hold. I think of that second set of windows below the main emitter windows that you mentioned you didn't like as a "crystal chamber" and think it's a pretty cool effect, but your point of view makes a strong case, too, so you've got me interested to see how you mod that part. I know you said both those windows and the FoC were overwhelmed by the brightness of Bane's Heart as a color, but I didn't hear you mention how you like Bane's Heart?

Also, I agree with you on the UltraEdge vs. non-UltraEdge blades and really prefer the UltraEdge now myself, too. I have a few of the older HG blades before the tip design was changed, and they're ok with really bright colors like Guardian Blue and Consular Green, but now, even for Fire Orange I'm liking the UE and UE HG blades best. The UE HG especially feels so, so solid, too.

I have to disagree with D7 about the claw, though (sorry, D7  Roll Eyes), because I think without it, it looks like a giant torch with the flange style emitter, like what you might find in the hands of an Olympic runner taking the Olympic torch to light a cauldron, and while that is a very majestic, inspirational site to see, it's not so great as a saber. Thanks for the shout out, too, on the silver pommel. The Renegade pommel works pretty well, but that Monarch pommel is undeniably a beautiful addition, too. Nice choice there, Isola.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about getting a pristine saber out of the box, for any custom saber purchase, not to mention if you throw down $600+ for a Diamond saber. I have another raffle entry, the Malice, which has a circular CNC machining mark on one of the emitter blades, looked like a watermark that you would see on a coffee table if something left their beverage on there without a coaster, so customer service had me send the one blade back for repair or replacement, and they'll reimburse the shipping up to $15. If I were you with the dented claw on my Scorpion, or for that matter the entire hilt if there noticeable scuffs/dings are noticeable, I'd be sending some or all of it back as well.

Don't settle...

...and point bomb DETONATED!  Cool

You're right  Shocked I did forget to mention the color!

Bane's heart IS a very cool color. I like it a lot and am happy that I wound up with it for this hilt because I really like the look of it through the emitter windows.

I sent an e-mail asking about the possibility of maybe replacing the claw. But the scratches, scuffs and chips will all be gone when I strip the pink anodizing off it anyways Smiley

It's just not worth sending stuff back from here. I discovered that with the Prophecy and Dark Catalyst. I'll grin and bear it. Unless this ever happens on a Guardian or Emperor's Hand. Then I think I'll be all out of patience and forgiveness  Shocked

Thanks Taegin and thanks Jediseth! And JS that's a similar idea to what I have planned Smiley

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »

You are correct LB; that's exactly what I was talking about.  Ah, I didn't even think about the...lack of ergonomic design (VERY good point) or comfort. 
I have to reiterate: that is one beautiful mod  Smiley
Thanks, buddy.   Cool

You're right  Shocked I did forget to mention the color!

Bane's heart IS a very cool color. I like it a lot and am happy that I wound up with it for this hilt because I really like the look of it through the emitter windows.

I sent an e-mail asking about the possibility of maybe replacing the claw. But the scratches, scuffs and chips will all be gone when I strip the pink anodizing off it anyways Smiley

It's just not worth sending stuff back from here. I discovered that with the Prophecy and Dark Catalyst. I'll grin and bear it. Unless this ever happens on a Guardian or Emperor's Hand. Then I think I'll be all out of patience and forgiveness  Shocked
Ah, cool. It seemed like you were digging the color and probably more just wishing the FoC was brighter, and I get that. So yeah if you remove the claw you get send that back pretty easily, right? Then again, maybe someone can help you straighten that ding on the tip. Since I think it's 6061 aluminum that is used in Ultrasabers hilts, you probably could heat it up just enough to soften and tap it back into place, then use a super fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out and polish with metal polish. Seems easier to me to send it back and let them send you a new one, though.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »

Thanks, buddy.   Cool
Ah, cool. It seemed like you were digging the color and probably more just wishing the FoC was brighter, and I get that. So yeah if you remove the claw you get send that back pretty easily, right? Then again, maybe someone can help you straighten that ding on the tip. Since I think it's 6061 aluminum that is used in Ultrasabers hilts, you probably could heat it up just enough to soften and tap it back into place, then use a super fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out and polish with metal polish. Seems easier to me to send it back and let them send you a new one, though.

I have been exchanging electronic communiqués with the always lovely Marlena, and they managed to pounce on my latest shipment just before it left and put a new claw in there for me! The Scorpion is currently field stripped and ready for de-pinkenization. Hopefully I can get that finished before the new claw turns up Smiley

Not disappointed with the FOC in person. Just disappointing that I couldn't get it to show up on camera as cool as it does in person.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:40 AM »

It looks a lot better with the Monarch pommel you put.  Glad US is going to send you a new claw.  It's a shame about the poor anodizing but I am sure you will make it look cool after the de-pinkization.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2017, 03:08:22 AM »

It looks a lot better with the Monarch pommel you put. 

Oh yes, I was going to say that as well, but I forgot. I definitely like the look of the Monarch pommel on the Scorpion much better than the Scorpion pommel.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 04:30:44 AM »

I have been exchanging electronic communiqués with the always lovely Marlena, and they managed to pounce on my latest shipment just before it left and put a new claw in there for me! The Scorpion is currently field stripped and ready for de-pinkenization. Hopefully I can get that finished before the new claw turns up Smiley

Not disappointed with the FOC in person. Just disappointing that I couldn't get it to show up on camera as cool as it does in person.
Woot woot! That's absolutely marvelous, Isola. Marlena has helped me with two different dilemmas in the past couple of days, too. She's like Ultrasabers royalty.  Cheesy  I'm delighted to hear that they can do that for you.

"de-pinkenization" lol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ah sorry my bad on the FoC. Glad it's brighter then. Bane's Heart = swag.  Cool

So now I'm really curious to see the fate of your ripened tomato Scorpion. I wish you the best in your scheme for it, brother.

HoverFloat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2017, 04:53:58 AM »

Good review as always. Yeah I'm definitely smitten with the Scorpion now. Have you ever thought US is throwing you less-than-perfect hilts on purpose so you'd customize them?  Tongue

Totally agree with the pommel. Not necessarily the Monarch's, but it does look miles better with a silver pommel.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

Good review as always. Yeah I'm definitely smitten with the Scorpion now. Have you ever thought US is throwing you less-than-perfect hilts on purpose so you'd customize them?  Tongue

Totally agree with the pommel. Not necessarily the Monarch's, but it does look miles better with a silver pommel.

I have voiced this thought in the past, but I sure hope not. Because there are some that if they arrived damaged I would just be so heartbroken. Stuff like my challenge it's a 50/50 on if I'm going to like it anyway so I was more inclined to let some flaws slide. But I honestly can't handle it on every saber. There are only so many mods one man can do!  Shocked

Unless they are testing me for a job position so that they can help me move to the States. In which case, challenge accepted  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: