Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasabers Electrum Wind VS Hasbro Mace Windu side by side comparison  (Read 3073 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

Here we see two lightsabers in their natural habitat. Ultrasaber on the right, Hasbro on the left. You can see the Ultrasaber is a bit lon ger. Just about all of the added inch or two is in the emitter and pommel, the bodies of the sabers are remarkably close in proportions - the grip section, the buttons, the gold ring at the center, all are about the same in length. The squared gold buttons on the Ultrasaber are a bit wider though.

The grips are made of aluminum anodized black on the ultrasaber, but theyre very well sanded and smooth so they feel good on the hand, while not quite as nice as the rubber ones on the Hasbro. The finish on the Hasbro is also muich more reflective and chrome, both on the gold and on the metal parts. That's kind of to be expected, the Hasbro one is a replica, and the Ultrasaber is a combat lightsaber. I will say that the Ultrasaber looks really freakin good, and they added a very nice feature in the windowed emitter, more on that later. Oh, and the covertec clip is moved on the ultrasaber compared to the Hasbro one, I'm pretty sure this has to do with it being part of what holds the saber together.

Next, a closeup of the black grips and emitters. Regarding the black textured grip on the Mace Windu, it's soft, smooth, and supple, very pleasant on the hands, as are the rubberized grips at the rear of the saber. I like that a lot. The Ultrasaber has a sort of harder textured plastic grip with a crisscross pattern that's very easy to hold on to, which is what you really want in a combat saber.  The Ultrasabers has fairly subtle holes drilled into the emitter to let some light through whereas the Hasbro just has some little divots. You can also see the Ultrasabers set screw there. If you want the flush screw, it's a 10 Dollar charge for some bizarre reason, and I wasnt about to pay anyone ten bucks for a screw, I figure I'll stop by the hardware store and get a flsuh screw to replace this eventually for about 75 cents tops. The set screw does its job though, because the Electrum Wind feels VERY solid in the hand, you cant tell its made of different parts and a sheath by holding it. Speaking of holding, the Electrum is actually a bit lighter than the Hasbro Mace Windu, I suspect due to the aluminum construction.

Now we come to where Ultrasabers really shines. If you're looking for a Mace Windu saber to use in sparring, you can spend 300 bucks to buy one on ebay and then about 60 bucks to convert it, or you can just spend that 300 with Ultrasabers and add a ton of features without having to risk opening up and breaking an expensive replica. My Electrum wind came with silver flash on clash on a dark violet amethyst blade. I HIGHLY reccomend DVA as opposed to regular Violet Amethyst on this saber, as you can see the Mace Windu Hasbro is a VERY blue purple due to the blade being lit by blue lights in a pink sheath. If you want you could probably get a similar color by adding a blue Ultrasabers color disk, because even VA is a bit more red than this, but it's pretty close. The US blade is a lot brighter, not to mention stronger and combat ready. Oh, and dig how the light comes through the ports in the emitter! Cool!

Just as a color comparison to help some of you guys decide, here's a VA Bellicose at the top, the DVA Electrum Wind, and then the Hasbro Mace Windu. Definitely want to go DVA on this one.

So I think that about wraps it up. In summary, the Hasbro Windu is a bit more comfortable to hold, but thats largely a moot point since you cant duel with it. The Electrum Wind has flash on clash, the color is pretty close with DVA, and its duel ready, lighter, and looks great. I wish the grips could be rubber, but thats no big deal. I do take a bit of umbrage at the ten dollar screw though!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »

Nice. Lights came through the ports on his lightsaber in the Clone Wars so that's probably where US's got the idea from

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »

Nice. Lights came through the ports on his lightsaber in the Clone Wars so that's probably where US's got the idea from

They did? Cool, I didnt notice. Either way I think the ports on the Ultrasaber are a big improvement, I like subtle windows so this is a cool touch for me.

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

Dongalonga
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »

Thanks for the review. Just received my EW yesterday. It is my first saber (son got his first) and I am very impressed. What a beautiful piece to either display or soar with.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:15:06 AM »

Thanks for the review. Just received my EW yesterday. It is my first saber (son got his first) and I am very impressed. What a beautiful piece to either display or soar with.

Welcome Dongalonga, glad you've got sabers for your family, it's nice to pass those down to your son, long as it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg. Haha!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review, what did you get on your electrum wind?

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:19:30 AM »

I forgot to add the color comparison with the bellicose, mace, and electrum. Here it is

Dongalonga
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:29 AM »

Welcome Dongalonga, glad you've got sabers for your family, it's nice to pass those down to your son, long as it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg. Haha!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review, what did you get on your electrum wind?

Thanks. I went with the Premium Sound, VA, rounded grips, and black pommel. I am quite smitten every time I look at it.  I'll post pics once I set my Photobucket up again.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »

Thanks. I went with the Premium Sound, VA, rounded grips, and black pommel. I am quite smitten every time I look at it.  I'll post pics once I set my Photobucket up again.

Sounds cool, I look forward to seeing that. I got the rounded grips too. I should have put in the review but the pommel on the Hasbro/MR Windu is actually gold AND black so either works.

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »

This is a very good review. Point to you for that. MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »

This is a very good review. Point to you for that. MTFBWY!
Thanks a bunch, hopefully it can help some people decide on an ultrasaber instead of a replica that'll sit on a shelf gathering dust.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: