Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Curved Scorpion = The Scurpion  (Read 5034 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »

My next saber project is going to use some new tecniques I havent tried before as well as some leather wrapping I've learned a good bit about with my Manticore. I want a curved saber, but I don't feel any attraction to the Mantis, so I'm going to modify the Scorpion. Here's my plan:

I'd love any comments or ideas as I get ready to move forward with this. I'm going to see if US won't sell me the sabver without assembling it, but if not I'll just take everything out before I start making my angle cuts.

I'm also considering features and colors. I definitely want it in blazing red with FOC, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a QD going to the blue LED and one on the red line so I could switch its color between red and blue., and the FOC would stay attached to the green LED so when it was on red itd flash orange and on blue itd flash arctic blue.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »

The outcome would look very cool, but what of the innards? What happens to those and will everything still fit with the shape of the hilt being contorted to bend like that? I don't do mods like this, so I'm honestly open minded and curious to know what workarounds you had in mind for those aspects. The claw with that curved hilt looks so perfect. I'm sure you'll be getting lots of feedback about it. Hopefully, it can help you as a team effort to work out the details. Good luck and I shall watch this thread with great interest.  Roll Eyes

Point for your ambition, bro!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:54:19 AM »

That would be awesome, very Dooku looking. I would totally buy that saber if available. I'd love to see you pull it off. May the force be with you on this project. +1 for just coming up with the idea and 100 more when it's completed.😊

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:57:19 AM »

I'd love to see you pull it off.
Well said, Seth. That's exactly the sentiment I was tryin' to spit out. Cheering for ya, man. Best of luck.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:11:25 AM »

The outcome would look very cool, but what of the innards? What happens to those and will everything still fit with the shape of the hilt being contorted to bend like that? I don't do mods like this, so I'm honestly open minded and curious to know what workarounds you had in mind for those aspects. The claw with that curved hilt looks so perfect. I'm sure you'll be getting lots of feedback about it. Hopefully, it can help you as a team effort to work out the details. Good luck and I shall watch this thread with great interest.  Roll Eyes

Point for your ambition, bro!

I positioned all my angle cuts around the middle of the saber. The wiring that lives there can curve with the saber, but I'm going to measure the LED and its position as well as the battery pack/sound board to make sure theres no curve in the saber near where they'll be so they still have room. The scorpion is a good large saber so I'm confident I'll have space for everything as well as the curve.

Thanks for the points, I cant wait to get started on this project, I'm asking US about it now.

That would be awesome, very Dooku looking. I would totally buy that saber if available. I'd love to see you pull it off. May the force be with you on this project. +1 for just coming up with the idea and 100 more when it's completed.😊

Thanks very much Seth, I'll be sure to take lots of pics as I move forward.

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:28:36 AM »

Fortune favors the bold...

good luck with this man, I'll be watching with great interest!

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 05:05:33 AM »

So you're going to ben the inner and outer sections together? Because I can't see how you'd getthe shroud back on after bending them separately. You're going to want to be damned sure that the two sleeves don't slip at any point during the bending. Also you may have some trouble getting them to both bend to the same angle as they have different ID/OD but you will be making the same size cut in both.

Just make sure you have your math worked out before you go too crazy!

Very cool concept though Smiley I hope you can work out how to do it.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »

So you're going to ben the inner and outer sections together? Because I can't see how you'd getthe shroud back on after bending them separately. You're going to want to be damned sure that the two sleeves don't slip at any point during the bending. Also you may have some trouble getting them to both bend to the same angle as they have different ID/OD but you will be making the same size cut in both.

Just make sure you have your math worked out before you go too crazy!

Very cool concept though Smiley I hope you can work out how to do it.

Oh crap wait, is the Scorpion one of those sabers that has a shroud over it? I didnt even consider that... That's not good. I recall the scorpion being one piece though...?

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 06:08:57 AM »

Oh crap wait, is the Scorpion one of those sabers that has a shroud over it? I didnt even consider that... That's not good. I recall the scorpion being one piece though...?

Check out this thread

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24685.msg369960#msg369960

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »

Hmmm yeah its a shrouded saber... I don't know if I can bend two pieces at once. Not good... Well I may need to rethink my plans now. Thanks for letting me know about this. It was on the item page too but I kinda overlooked it. I owned a scorpion for a bit once and it felt so solid I didnt even realize it was two pieces.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »

Yeah, that's the part that's giving me pause, the fact that it's shrouded.  I don't know if it will work.  However, if you can do it, it will be most impressive.  Either way, it's an ambitious project, good luck.  Smiley  I went ahead and gave you a point for the idea.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 04:33:46 AM »

I decided that I won't let the shroud beat me. I'll cut and bend where the metal is thinnest. My thought is that the metal of the shroud and saber body at the center is about the same thickness as a regular saber so I should be able to make it work, though I may end up annealing it to make it bend easier and not risk a crack. I'll also drill a hole at the termination of my cuts so the stress radiates out evenly instead of being centered in one spot. Hopefully that will help.

I just pressed the button on my order and here it is. I talked to Martha in customer service (thanks!) and was able to get them to leave the electronics outside the hilt, so that's one less thing for me to do now.

1 of : Scorpion with Obsidian Premium Sound
[Blade LED Color:Blazing Red]
[Flash on Clash:Flash Orange]
[Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with Resistor (Batteries Included *ONLY*)]
[Recharge Port:No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length:36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option:UltraEdge Midgrade]
[Scorpion Claw Option:With Claw]
[Sound:Obsidian USB V3 Sound! [V3]
[Switch Type:Black Non-Illuminated AV Switch]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip]
[Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks]
[Include Blade Plug:No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand:No Thanks]
[Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks]

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:51:06 AM »

Hey!! This is exciting stuff and way to take the bull by the horns! Point to ya! Martha is great. Curious, though, was there a special reason other than keeping costs contained on this project that you didn't go for V4 sound and a BuckPuck instead of Resistor?

No pressure, but I know we're all anxious to see you succeed. MTFBWY and MTOBEIYF  Cool

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 04:54:15 AM »

I decided that I won't let the shroud beat me. I'll cut and bend where the metal is thinnest. My thought is that the metal of the shroud and saber body at the center is about the same thickness as a regular saber so I should be able to make it work, though I may end up annealing it to make it bend easier and not risk a crack. I'll also drill a hole at the termination of my cuts so the stress radiates out evenly instead of being centered in one spot. Hopefully that will help.

I just pressed the button on my order and here it is. I talked to Martha in customer service (thanks!) and was able to get them to leave the electronics outside the hilt, so that's one less thing for me to do now.

1 of : Scorpion with Obsidian Premium Sound
[Blade LED Color:Blazing Red]
[Flash on Clash:Flash Orange]
[Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with Resistor (Batteries Included *ONLY*)]
[Recharge Port:No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length:36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option:UltraEdge Midgrade]
[Scorpion Claw Option:With Claw]
[Sound:Obsidian USB V3 Sound! [V3]
[Switch Type:Black Non-Illuminated AV Switch]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip]
[Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks]
[Include Blade Plug:No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand:No Thanks]
[Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks]

Good luck with it! I'm eager to see how it turns out Smiley

Point coming at you for the dedication Smiley

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »

Hey!! This is exciting stuff and way to take the bull by the horns! Point to ya! Martha is great. Curious, though, was there a special reason other than keeping costs contained on this project that you didn't go for V4 sound and a BuckPuck instead of Resistor?

No pressure, but I know we're all anxious to see you succeed. MTFBWY and MTOBEIYF  Cool

Thanks, as to your questions: Ive never had any problems with V3 sound and all my other sabers have it, so I want this one to match. I only do buckpucks on RGB or mixed color sabers, so I have one on my Electrum Wind and maybe on my Raven, but its not worth the extra cost to me. And yeah the other half of my order was a new Guardian, so lets just say I'll be getting a full size grab bag. The Scurpion ended up being the cheaper saber on the order. I appreciate the positive vibes, hopefully with the help of the community and a lot of online searching I can succeed. I'm learning a lot about how to anneal and temper aluminum so that's really fun. One other thing I purchased was a neat red jewel and bezel that I intend to use to replace the windows in the shroud since I don't like them a lot. I got a red jewel button and bezel for an amplifier for like 5 bucks on ebay but its going to really push the customization on this saber to the next level between that and the painting.

Good luck with it! I'm eager to see how it turns out Smiley

Point coming at you for the dedication Smiley

Thanks very much. I was wavering after I realized there was a shroud but I'm pretty sure I can make it work.  My main concern is that I have to anneal the aluminum of the hilt to just the right temperature to make it ductile.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: