Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex CE and Graflex Replica Comparison  (Read 5240 times)
projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« on: April 08, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »

Happened to think of posting this comparison yesterday, and I just now saw the comparison between the Electrum Wind and Hasbro saber. I figured now would be a good time to do some quick comparisons of the Graflex CE that I just got, next to a Graflex replica that I intend to transplant the CE's electronics into.

Not sure if a certain MHS supplier can be mentioned here when it concerns a product they sell made by a certain individual, but searching for Graflex replica should pretty quickly bring you to the product I'm comparing.

It should be noted that the Graflex CE isn't inaccurate because it's not similar to the Graflex replica, it's actually very accurate, but to the ROTS version of the Graflex. The US Graflex is based on the MR Anakin saber, very accurately so, which makes the Graflex CE a great episode III replica.

This comparison is perhaps meant to show the impressive dimensional similarities between US's and a replica of the original saber.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »

Thanks now I want me both even more Tongue Am wondering though, if you want it totally ROTS looking, how does mylar tape hold onto aluminum hilts? Pretty good? I heard not to try it though. I like to collect regular movie replica hilts as well so =] Replica or US's Graflex I always fanboy whenever I see either ones Tongue Having a duelable Graflex will also be sweet though

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:39:36 PM »

I like the US Graflex, but I tend to like the movie replicas a bit better. It's the one saber I want exactly like the movies. I want the TFA Graflex.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »

Thanks now I want me both even more Tongue Am wondering though, if you want it totally ROTS looking, how does mylar tape hold onto aluminum hilts? Pretty good? I heard not to try it though. I like to collect regular movie replica hilts as well so =] Replica or US's Graflex I always fanboy whenever I see either ones Tongue Having a duelable Graflex will also be sweet though

I haven't bothered with the Mylar tape, but I would imagine it would be fine. Not sure why it wouldn't be.  Those small grooves could probably be filled in with something if they were a problem.

Hopefully the Graflex replica will be able to stand up to dueling, I wouldn't trust it like I would an Apprentice V4 or the like  Roll Eyes the annoying part is that the stock blade holder is 7/8", so that presents either the option of buying a non duel worthy 7/8" blade for $30+shipping, or a 1" blade holder for $60. I stumbled across a 7/8" blade on eBay for $10 so I jumped on that, when I break it in sparring I'll get the 1" blade holder for $60...

The new speaker comes in tomorrow for the CE. Once I wire that in I'll be able to unsolder the momentary switch (which is super easy on US's Graflex to remove, since it has those two hex screws) and move the electronics to the Graflex.

I considered putting a Diamond Controller in the Graflex, but the CE was such a steal on eBay. I'll sell the hilt on eBay and some of my many excess blades. The seller included a blade from another large scale saber manufacturer, so i think I'll keep that rather than sell it

I like the US Graflex, but I tend to like the movie replicas a bit better. It's the one saber I want exactly like the movies. I want the TFA Graflex.

That's how I have my Graflex (as I'm sure you've noticed), ever since I did a bunch of research on the Graflex 3 cell that originated the prop, it's somewhat funny when I see an ESB with two activation (red) buttons. I like it, but I like the streamlined look of the glass eye more, and the look of the rivets on the grips and the gold circuit card.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »

We usually don't talk about personal sales on here so. why not just keep both? One for dueling and one for show? That's what I'd do anyway. Make the replica Graflex more to your likings then keep the US's one as is. Just an idea though =] Might take awhile but it'll get there. Its taking me for forever to get a saber that I really like. Up next will either be a Reaper or Dark Prophecy in Blazing Red. Really itching for a Dark Prophecy though just for a certain movie Tongue I know we have the Chosen One but yeah. I already have a replica that needs fixed anyway so. That's what I do though. when I post my custom now Guardian Blue Shock that's for show/cosplay purposes and my Dominix V4 LE is for kinda both, same with my Consular Green Standard Issue for dueling/cosplay purposes and Archon V2.1 for cosplay purposes, same with my Overlord. I don't really duel with that one much either or at all. Just a good belt hanger/convention going saber Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:21:01 AM »

Odd, I thought the rule was no selling items on the forum. Alas. The Dark Prophesy will look great in BR, definitely my favorite color and it's the color of my first two sabers (avatar and sig). Would you get Tri or FOC?

I think I've become a radicalized Star Wars fan, so any saber I have will get dueled with. That makes it hard to have an Archon 3.1, I think I slightly bent it the first and only time I used it, but it makes a nice open carry saber.

I suppose to answer your original question, I would rather have a saber I can duel with, display, and carry. My dark Apprentice V4s aren't my first choice for open carrying, so I might transplant their electronics to a menace staff.

I've also been looking into slimming down my collection into one MHS staff with two Diamond set ups (I'll most likely keep my Graflex transplant), but I still really enjoy the replica hilts. Curse this hobby!  Roll Eyes

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 01:49:39 AM »

Right Tongue I really wanna try a tri with an Ultra Edge blade to see if itd look even meaner than before Tongue But I was told the tri less eat the standard batteries pretty quick. Its just what I'm used to in stunts you know. My big big saber will have sound though for sure. But for the standard sabers I just want all stunts. I plan to get a standard Obsidian saber though, then Emerald, then Diamond just to have all 3 variations in a way sound wise Tongue

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:25:49 AM »

Right Tongue I really wanna try a tri with an Ultra Edge blade to see if itd look even meaner than before Tongue But I was told the tri less eat the standard batteries pretty quick. Its just what I'm used to in stunts you know. My big big saber will have sound though for sure. But for the standard sabers I just want all stunts. I plan to get a standard Obsidian saber though, then Emerald, then Diamond just to have all 3 variations in a way sound wise Tongue

BR looks great in UE. I honestly never use standard blades. The light isn't as smooth and the dueling scuffs show up much more. UE never looks washed out to me, just nicely diffused so that it actually looks like a blade rather than light in a tube casing.

I'm glad to have gotten emerald at the price that I did, definitely a fun tool. I do like when sabers have a set color though, it makes them feel more real in terms of having a set crystal and color. If I was going to do a saber with Tri, I'd want Li-ion.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 03:24:46 AM »

BR looks great in UE. I honestly never use standard blades. The light isn't as smooth and the dueling scuffs show up much more. UE never looks washed out to me, just nicely diffused so that it actually looks like a blade rather than light in a tube casing.

I agree with you. I have had both blades and never could understand that some people think that red looks bad in UE blades I have both standard and UE and I would rather have UE every time.

A light in s tube casing is exactly how I feel about it.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »

I always seem to have good luck when it comes to stunt sabers though so Tongue Plus I don't really have a problem with just having all standard AAA batteries

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »

I always seem to have good luck when it comes to stunt sabers though so Tongue Plus I don't really have a problem with just having all standard AAA batteries

I've only handled AAA stunt sabers, and they look great to me. Not sure how much Li-ion would help brightness, if I look at it from a technical stand point.

Something I've come to enjoy about stunt sabers is how simple they are. Nothing seems to break, and if it does it's a hardware issue that I can fix. I just had an emerald board die on me a day after I bought it, second hand purchase so no warranty :/ Marlena is helpful though.

I'm tempted to get stunt sabers on account of how inexpensive they are, but then I tell myself to put that money towards a higher end saber.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:49 AM »

Really cool comparison! It's great to do these for a number of reasons - firstly because I think US isnt known for replicas (yet) so its great to show just how good and faithful these sabers are in looks and not just in operation! Its also really great because it gives people an idea of what they're getting, the quality and what to expect, so if they're out there looking to get an exact replica, they're aware of any differences there might be. I also suspect that its nice for Emory and Deep to see people taking the time to notice the time they clearly put in to designing something that's as accurate to the canon lightsaber as possible while still being functional, durable, affordable, and chock full of great Ultrasabers features.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »

Really cool comparison! It's great to do these for a number of reasons - firstly because I think US isnt known for replicas (yet) so its great to show just how good and faithful these sabers are in looks and not just in operation! Its also really great because it gives people an idea of what they're getting, the quality and what to expect, so if they're out there looking to get an exact replica, they're aware of any differences there might be. I also suspect that its nice for Emory and Deep to see people taking the time to notice the time they clearly put in to designing something that's as accurate to the canon lightsaber as possible while still being functional, durable, affordable, and chock full of great Ultrasabers features.

Thank you. I agree, the US Graflex is very comfortable to wield compared to the replica.

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »

This is a very good comparison. Clearly showing how much better US Graflex is in looks and comfort. 

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »

This is a very good comparison. Clearly showing how much better US Graflex is in looks and comfort. 

It's definitely more comfortable. Not to say I'm not used to the Graflex replica. I prefer the replica a whole lot over the CE in terms of looks. I just enjoy the history of the prop and it's made me somewhat picky about accuracy. The CE is great as an ep. III replica

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: