Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wiring accent Leds to the Diamond board  (Read 1803 times)
Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« on: April 14, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »

I love my new Diamond board. I'm considering getting another and doing some custom work with the accent led light posts.  Looking at the Diagram their are post's available for accent led lights. It's even set up in a way to use an RGB led.  My question is how do I go ahead and wire on this board?  if you look at the diagram you can see the back of the board has the pins turned down. Perhaps you can wire it in the back. Though it would look a little sloppy and I don't like that.

http://www.ultrasabers-uploads.com/Diamond/Diamond-Datasheet.pdf

Here you can see the back pin curved down. The other front pins are loaded with wires and stuck in with hot glue. Don't ask me how you can access the pins for wiring that way. Here is images of the board with wires.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »

I'll be fallowing this. Sounds interesting =] When we drove through Colorado we drove through the wind turbines during the night and they had the sickest lighting sequence ever, like one turbine would flash on, then off, then the others would flash on. You know, the red warning lights for planes and such. Always thought that would look sweet for an accent lighting sequence. Like if you install one in one area, have that one turn on first then off, then the rest in another area turn on and so on Tongue would have to be 1 yellow and 3 red though, I think that would look cool

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »

Whew, that's a lot of wires!  Have you identified what they all do and seen if any go "nowhere?"  If it's like the Obsidian when you don't get FoC, they may already have wires coming off of it that aren't connected to anything.  If so, you'd have to identify the accent LED wires and solder to them, not the pins.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »

Whew, that's a lot of wires!  Have you identified what they all do and seen if any go "nowhere?"  If it's like the Obsidian when you don't get FoC, they may already have wires coming off of it that aren't connected to anything.  If so, you'd have to identify the accent LED wires and solder to them, not the pins.

The diagram shows exactly where the accent leds go. No need to add them to other wires or pins. The idea is to hook up an RGB led. The board is made for it. I don't know that you can use the FOC wire if it's available and not going anywhere.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »

The diagram shows exactly where the accent leds go. No need to add them to other wires or pins. The idea is to hook up an RGB led. The board is made for it. I don't know that you can use the FOC wire if it's available and not going anywhere.

I think that he meant that there are probably already wires in that bundle that originate in the accent LED pins, but that simply aren't hooked up to.  If you can identify those wires, you can simply splice onto the end of them  to run to wherever you want your accent LEDs.  No need to even use a meter to ID the wires, since you can just physically trace them back to the pin location.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »

I think that he meant that there are probably already wires in that bundle that originate in the accent LED pins, but that simply aren't hooked up to.  If you can identify those wires, you can simply splice onto the end of them  to run to wherever you want your accent LEDs.  No need to even use a meter to ID the wires, since you can just physically trace them back to the pin location.

Oh man that would be way better. Maybe they do already have wires for them. I will take a look because taping into that board looks about impossible, it's one crazy mad mess.

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »

Looking at the Diagram their are post's available for accent led lights. It's even set up in a way to use an RGB led.  My question is how do I go ahead and wire on this board?  if you look at the diagram you can see the back of the board has the pins turned down. Perhaps you can wire it in the back. Though it would look a little sloppy and I don't like that.

Here's how the Diamond board is connected to the hilt:

On the board there's a male connector and the hilt and battery pack are wired to a matching female connector (2x9 pins with 0.1" pitch). The wiring to the female connector is normally secured with hot glue. It is possible for the entire male-female connector assembly to be covered with glue, which would make it look like there are no connectors there at all - just wires and pins, but under the glue there should be two connectors. The hot glue makes the saber wiring much more reliable to withstand shocks, especially for combat usage, but also makes it difficult to access the connections if you want to rewire something. So unless the wires you need are already routed to the female connector, the best way to change the wiring would be to replace the entire female connector. The wiring diagram in the datasheet gives all the details about where each wire should go.

Marius.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »

Thanks Marius, I'm wondering if you paid extra if they would just wire the accent leds for you wrapped up in the saber. Requisition charges maybe. I don't really want to rewire a hole new pin for it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: