For ages now i've been hanging onto a heavily eroded/ chewed elk antler, with the idea to turn it into a saber for my dog. this way he can pick it up and carry it around etc. this has really been a long time coming, so i'm kinda excited about it even though the project itself is kinda quick/ basic/ lacklustre lol.
i have a good amount of spare US bits right now, just from various things, so the time is right lol. well, i actually started this last week on my days off. i worked late today and didn't have time for anything serious, so i just fussed with this a little more and got this post up finally lol.
O yeah, i'm calling it that cause this thing just looks beyond arcane- the premise is like one of the earliest sabers or something, and not like the first ones just introduced to the pre jedi galaxy in the dawn of the jedi EU stuff, i'm talking like wherever those dudes on the star forge got their design from or whatever lol. But anyway, for people who haven't read a lot of the legends/ expanded universe novels, back in the days just prior to the evolution of the jedi, people knew the lightside as ashla (spelling anyone? lol) and the dark side as bogan. shockingly lol, a great split occurred amongst the force users, some going bogan some going ashla basically (little more to it), and the early champions of ashla went on to turn into the jedi in time. so if Darth Arlo's saber is premised as one of the very first sabers as we know them, it's gotta be bogan.
confession: when i started this it didn't occur to me that bone (etc.) dust might be terrible for you, aside from the way that any fine dust really isn't good to inhale obviously lol. So i let Arlo snoop in on the action way to much and i wasn't being very careful myself, to say the least lol. But once i realized we threw some masks on
. Arlo couldn't handle his lol, so he's been kept safely away from that point on.
note to self, never mess with an elk.
only shot at doing this was to get it in half and then go in from both sides- figure i can safely bore it out to 1" diameter, which is handy for blade socket and should be plenty sturdy enough still. the biggest i can do here is about 5/8" though, so i eventually go it out to my dads so i could go to the 1".
I put a 12mm hole in the side part there for a switch, and recessed the area so it wouldn't be able to catch a tooth as easily lol. i'll likely have that pretty deep by the time this is ready.
...and then at Easter i slipped out to the shop before dinner with my dad and we got this bored. Not easy lol! It took both of us even with a whole huge rigging/ set up for the pieces.
then today i just messed with some of the fine tuning on the ID. here you can see with the module seated in the bottom of blade socket area.
this things gonna have a wicked curve to it.
an 18650 on a sled fits nicely, but needs a little more room for the twin 14500's, and the board would certainly need some more space. so all i was really doing here was working on filing/ dremeling the ID, i just kinda grabbed the first parts in each drawer type thing just to show the idea for pics, likely won't be using any of these except for that switch.
keep you posted